1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you like the smell of resin?

May 12, 2010

?
  1. Yes, I like it

2. No, I don't like it

3. I'm indifferent about it

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I like it in small quantities! It's funny especially when I take the head cap off having forgotten what it smells like and get a whiff!
      It's certainly an unusual smell..

2. I do like the smell, but it makes me sick after a while:(
      It's like:

Box opening:
      Omg, he smells so nice!!

An hour later:
      I dont feel so well >.<

Two hours later:
      Smells so gooood <33333!!

XD and then repeat that until the smell wears off. Lol!

3. More likely than not, you're smelling 4,4'-Methylenediphenyl Diisocyanate (MDI) which has a pleasant, sweet solvent odor not unlike some paints and glues. It's not a safe chemical to inhale, but the small amounts of unreacted MDI wafting from a doll are not going to cause you serious problems. Opening the doll's head to deliberately huff the vapors is probably not such a hot idea though :-) It's not dioxin, nor is it carcinogenic. This pertains only to aromatic polyurethane dolls (which is most of them), not those made from natural pine tree resin derivatives.

For those who want the full health hazard details:
      http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/hlthef/methyl-d.html

Polyurethane resin continues to react and crosslink weeks after casting, and eventually if there was a surplus of isocyanate in the mix it eventually reacts with water in the air and polymerizes, resulting in loss of the odor over time.

4. To me resin is a pleasant smell, it reminds me of the positive experience of unpacking a new doll. It's sorta like "new car" smell, people like it so much partly because they associate the odor with the enjoyment of owning a brand new car.

5. I don't like the smell of resin, especially right when a new doll comes right out of the box. The concentrated fumes are just too much.

I am not very keen on most chemical smells though anyway.

6. CP dolls stink to high heaven when they come out of the box, so I have a strong association between resin-smell and the great feeling of opening up a new doll. It's a totally positive odor for me.

7. the smell makes me very dizzy ^^; When I first opened the box to my dollie, the smell was so strong! I felt like I was going to fall over and faint! I can't hold my doll close to me for too long because he makes me sick, breathing gets harder, gives me a headache and blurs my vision if I wiff too much of the smell. XD
      So I guess I don't really like it myself.... ^^;

8. LOl.
      It's like a roller coaster of emotions I see.

9. Apparently it's true, most people really seem to love it :).

For me, I admit that I cannot particularly stand it. I do not get headaches or anything like that from it, but it's an unpleasant smell for me and so I try to avoid it. Hence I keep my dolls in a well-ventilated room until they stop smelling and the heavier stinkers I even keep in their box most of the time.

Adam, you're certainly right, about that smell. It does smell of solvents similar to that you can find im some paints. Maybe that's the reason why I don't like it that much.
      You wrote that exposure to a humid atmosphere can help getting rid of the odor. Would emersing resin parts under water for a couple of hours/days have the same effect?

10. I was weirded out by the smell of resin when I first opened my girl's box. I hadn't expected it! It's a familiar scent now, and I guess I associate it with positive things, but I don't seek it out, and I don't care if doll's don't have it.

11. I thought my doll had a pretty strong resin smell, especially when I just removed him from his box and when he is kept in the cabinet for a period of time. Bringing him out for a while does make the smell lesser though ^^

12. I’m one of these who love it.
      All my dears have just really faint smell. For me it is kind of sweet mix of odors. I know it isn’t all that good for health but, oh crap, I cannot stop myself. It’s more of a ‘new dolly thing’ and they’ll loose it over time so I sniff at them occasionally, to know if I still can smell it. Wouldn’t crack their heads open just to get a full whiff of it though :]

13. Smell is linked to emotions, usually memories associated with the smell subconsciously from what I've heard. I don't have a particular feeling linked to resin myself. New paper on the other hand... that is a happy smell for me. XD

14. This. My dolls, when new, are allowed a few days to "air out" so they don't have a real smell anymore. I do not intentionally inhale anything that is poisonous, end of story.

15. I don't really know I've never sniffed my dolls ^^; Now of course I feel I'm missing out so as soon as I get home I'm gonna have a sniff.

16. I kept mine in the closet but it is the same to me. I open the door once in a while to smell it. I do enjoy the smell but I doubt I'm the type that would buy a new doll just to smell them. Although I do have to admit the first thing I do to my doll when I opened their bubble wrap after arrival was *sniff sniff* "Ohh resin! <3" :sweat

17. I love the smell, not even for any association with new dolls. I just think it's a pleasant smell. My one Volks FCS box gives off some amazing resin scent whenever it is opened.

Of course, I keep hoping some independent perfumer will come up with a gasoline perfume.

18. I generally love it - especially the much milder smell I'll get when taking a doll out of his/her box for the first time in a while. It does depend on the company, though. My Chalco was quite whiffy and it wasn't the resin smell I was used to, so I didn't like it that much.

Resin smell is strongly associated with box opening happiness, but I don't need it going strong all the time. New dolls live in my living room for a bit to air out.

19. Resin stinks to me. It's too chemical, too fake in a world full of wonderful smells. I'd rather smell roses and freshly ground coffee. I don't know how the doll makers put up with it.

20. i do love the smell of my first doll Sarah from AS,the resin is really good compared with another. XD
      it still exudes a faint scent after a long time.