1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you like the smell of resin?

May 12, 2010

?
  1. Yes, I like it

2. No, I don't like it

3. I'm indifferent about it

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Not really, if I inhale some, I'll get a slight headache, so no for me.

2. I had never thought that resin smells so well... I love it really, when I take my BJD out of his box I always smell the cushions <3 (maybe I'm insane xD)

3. I am not particulary addicted to it, but for me there is something refreshing in the smell of resin. I love opening the bags, rooms,... I keep my BJD in and smelling that so magnetic perfume their resin spreads outside. Since a few years ago and by the known, I am allergic to something, something I do not know still. Fortunately what I know is it is not an allergy to resin.

So I should say yes, I do like the smell of resin, newer or even not that so new, floating on the air, but I have never ever thought of buying a BJD to feel the smell of new resin again. That is something curious to think about. In fact, I did not expect so many people do like the smell of resin. Luckyly, I have never had to sell any of my BJD because of their smell either.

The smells of resin at my home: CP Luts Delf and Mini Fée, ndoll Petdoll, Unidoll UniReal, IpleHouse YID, BubbyDoll W-Buddy, Luts Senior Delf and Dollmore Glamor Model Doll, but I am more used to the smell of the two first groups.

4. Completely agree. I'm the same way. :)

5. I like it... A lot. Probably too much. I don't sit there and huff my doll's bodies, but I like to smell it occasionally. xD

6. I like the smell. But I usually like chemical smells, I love the smell of a nail salon, and hair color at my salon.

But I don't intentionally sniff it out, just randomly get whiffs while handling them.

7. I like the smell of resin when I receive a brand new doll. (It's like that "new car" smell some people like) Of course, afrter a while the scent goes away, but that's not a reason for me to buy a new doll.

8. There is nothing like the smell of resin when you open your new doll box!!!! I absolutely love it!!!

9. After reading so many advices on safety I'm so suspicious, maybe too much. Resin smell > resin dust > hazardous for lungs - that's how it works for me. When I do modding smell becomes more strong and though I wear a good respirator I still feel it.

10. I can be a bit chemically-sensitive and wheezy at times so it will be interesting to see what happens when my first resin doll arrives.

11. mmmm new resin~
      it cannot be healthy i tell ya!

12. *sigh* its the scent of happiness..... there is nothing quite so glorious to me as that subtle perfume as I open up my studio in the morning to pull some casts or lift a beloved doll out of the case.... And dont get me started on opening a new boxed up dollie freshly delivered by my bestie the mail-man LOL I whip open the box savor the smell... smile indulgently then shred through the bubble wrap like like a junkie needing a fix

13. Actually its chemical residue not the dust itself that smells - and is less hazardous than microwaving food in plastic containers (or worse styrofoam take-away boxes Argh)

Hate to be a stickler but if you can stiff notice the vapour through your respirator you might need to consider new filters as really you shouldnt be able to smell anything at all - if you dont mind me asking are you using a carbon filter respirator or a honeycomb filter? I only found out recently that my carbon filter respirator actually needs to be kept in an airtight container when not in use as the carbon breaks down faster decreasing its effectiveness - as soon as you can smell or "taste" that the air coming through is different the filters are shot and need replacing

14. To be honest I can't smell it. I tried, but I smell nothing different... Do I have a bad nose? xD I feel like I'm missing out on something good....

15. Roeleines normally you smell it when the doll first arrives when you open the box it comes wafting out of there!
      Over a few months it fades allot especially if the doll is not stored in the box.

16. Uh, no? :sweat Reiss is on a DIM MNM body that smells really strongly of resin and it makes me all dizzy and lightheaded after a while. I so prefer smelling Dante, he practically has his own 'scent' from living with me.

17. I've opened 3 boxes and none of them had a strong scent coming out of them... Not that I could tell...

18. i like it :D just as i like to sniff gasoline, paint, wood, crack..(lol jks xD i dont do drugs D: )

19. I must say I hate the smell. Specially when the dolls are in box and I open it, the smell almost makes me sick. But it doesn´t smell after they´re in the room, luckily.

Before I had seen a doll in real life, I had readen about many people loving to sniff the smell of new resin. When I got my first doll I was a bit of shocked of that. I don´t like that smell at all. Luckily it seems to wear off by time.

20. I've heard people say the smell is 'sweet' and that they like it, but all I smell is a very strong chemical odor. Given the compounds present in synthetics and the fact that bjds are resin, I would think that the smell indicates some level of toxicity or is itself toxic. So, no I don't like it and I try to avoid breathing it in.