1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you like the smell of resin?

May 12, 2010

?
  1. Yes, I like it

2. No, I don't like it

3. I'm indifferent about it

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. No, I`m not. I hate smell of the resin

2. I love it I love it. lol. Yes it must be bad for us, worse for
      some more than others but the world is full of toxic things
      that we often can't avoid and usually we're completely unaware
      about it. I avoid most thing's that are known to be bad...but I do
      enjoy sniffing resin :lol: If I opened up a new doll's box and didn't
      smell that smell strongly I'd be pretty, no, very disappointed:roll:
      I do feel bad for those who have serious reactions to it though.

3. Agreeing with those who say it’s good because of "the new doll" affiliation. Also, the petrol station syndrome of "it smells good but I shouldn't really sniff too much because I know it’s bad...". I like it ^^.

I don't just sit there and sniff my boy’s head on purpose, of course. But, well...MOST things these days are supposedly going to give me cancer or riddle me with diseases, so I don’t worry too much – I probably use worse chemicals while print-making at college, to be honest o.O

4. I don't really feel either way about it, I don't mind a faint whiff, but I don't think I'd like a stronger smell. My dolls are usually aired out after a few days out of the box, but I'll try to air them out sooner so that I don't end up with cancer or something... O.o

5. I like it! :) It's kinda similar to how I like the smell of swimming pools, Pine-Sol, and burning candles! It may also be because of the "new doll" association, as others have suggested, but at the very least I don't think it's as repugnant as the smell of bleach or rotten eggs. >_<

6. I like it but it is strange it took me a while to smell it. My first doll was new but my others have all been third hand and my first boy didn't smell. But I have noticed sometimes when I am holding or working on one of my dolls I will get a whiff of resin smell. One of my friends was holding one of my dolls and the smell whiffed out and she looked at me and asked what that smell was. I told her my doll must have burped and she thought it was the funniest thing ever.

I like the smell because it is a smell that is completely DOLL it doesn't remind me of anything else but at the same time I have never had it overwhelming and strong and I think if I encountered it when it was really strong it might make me a little sick to my stomach

7. I've honestly never noticed any smell on any of mine, even when they were brand new.
      If there was one, I would have probably assumed it was the smells picked up by traveling so far on the packing box

8. I can't really smell it after a while. Definitely can't tell them apart by smell. But I really do love the smell of 'new resin'. I think it has to do with the association with the excitement of getting something new.

9. don't mind but sometimes, It smells too much

10. I love it. A good whif and it brings back feelings of happiness and excitement from receiving new dolls ^_^

11. Funny title, I know, but again, I'm snerious. And no, that wasn't a typo. Anyway, I bought my first doll March of 2011, and to this day, he still smells of resin.

I was wondering how many old dolls out there still have that scent...

A year may not be a long time, but my second doll, which is younger by three months doesn't have the slightest scent anymore.

Have you smelled your dolls lately?

Oh, and does the smell of resin bother you?

If not, why?

12. lol, I love the title! I don't have my doll yet, but when she arrives I'm tempted to smell her face now :3

Edit: aww, title got changed :(

13. ehehe I love the smell of resin. It smells of frivolity and joy. I had a new (2nd hand) doll arrive just a couple of hours ago to me and one of the first things I did was smell her little torso. Don't ask me why, but I did. I don't usually smell the face though cos it tends to smell more of sealant than resin *shrugs*

14. I've had plenty that smelled of resin when I first got them, but none that it stayed for a year!

When you say she "smells", do you mean he just keeps the new resin smell or does it smell toxic, like it might make you sick? That could be cause for concern...

15. What a completely random question :D Actually, there was an episode of My Strange Addiction where a woman was addicted to smelling her doll's head!

I don't like the smell of resin because resin is toxic, so if you can smell it, it means it's getting into your lungs and potentially causing trouble. A faint smell is OK when you get a new doll, but if you're constantly smelling it you should give your doll a good bath with soapy water.

16. LOL I can't say I've ever purposely smelled my dolls before. Now I'm curious...

I do smell my model horses every now and then. They are made of resin..haha

17. Oh boy, I sure do~ :D and I love this topic, BTW. I don't know if that's something I should be proud of, since resin is toxic, I hear, so it probably is not the bestest thing to go around sniffing... But I can't help it. I really like the smell of resin~ I doesn't make me dizzy or anything so maybe it isn't that dangerous if I take a whiff at my dolls every now and then.

Even the boxes my boys came in still smell of resin and I like that whenever I open the box, the smell reminds me of the day they arrived, respctively.. Sometimes I arrange my dolls to sit next to my bed when I go to sleep so that I can be close to them and see them the first thing in the morning when I wake up, and the sweet odour of their resin lulls me off to peaceful sleep. X''D

...yeah, I am obsessed with my dolls, who wouldn't be? ;3
      Hmm... you asked what is it that makes people not get bothered by the smell of resin... In my case, I've always liked the natural odour of my pets (when they are clean, that is, clean animals don't smell bad, they smell like themselves, a wonderful, natural smell) so I quess that has affected the fact that I consider the smell of resin as my dolls' "natural odour". :lol:

18. The title made me chuckle!:lol:

I don't smell them but the bag I keep them in when I have to move smells like resin A LOT (sometimes I go to my mom's house, my own apartment or College, so I'm moving around a lot) I like the smell of it because it reminds me when they came home and when you open the package you get that smell, which is similar to the smell of new things. I love it!

And just in case anyone is wondering, the bag I'm talking about is this. I've had it for years! and it is amazing!! I can fit 3-4 MSDs or 2 SDs but I only have 3 MSDs so my Yo-SD goes in there too and my pukis. I have almost all my dolls in that bag, perfectly secure and I can either put it on my back, in my hand or use the rollers. My SD goes in MSD bag^^ he fits fine.

19. This is literally the best and most bizarre thread title on DoA.
      No, I don't smell my dolls, and I don't even notice a resin smell normally. Resin being toxic, I can't see myself making a habit of seeking out the smell.

20. LOL I smell them sometimes~ I kinda like the smell of the head. But when I once had a little accident and had to restring the leg of one of my girls', the smell was AWFUL from inside her body ;A; But it was there for about a week or two for my first dolls, after that it doesn't smell as much if at all.