1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you like the smell of resin?

May 12, 2010

?
  1. Yes, I like it

2. No, I don't like it

3. I'm indifferent about it

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I love the smell of resin. I smell my dolls pretty much everytime I take them out xD and I look like a total freak each time
      but I haven't played with them in a while so I don't really know how they smell anymore....

2. Can't say I catch a whiff of resin intentionally, but it does waft by my nose every now and then.

BTW, AWESOME title for this thread! :lol:

EDIT: That last part was for when the thread was titled "Do you smell your doll's face?"

3. Some of my girls still smell pretty strong so I wouldn't have to purposely smell them. Maybe because they go in their boxes often, the resin smell is stronger when they've been stored for awhile.

I'm not fond of the smell once I tried something that worked very well, I put an empty package of haribo gummy bears in to box with one of them. So now the smell is nice and fruity when she comes out of her box!

4. I love the smell of resin. :D
      I also love the feeling they leave on my hands after I touch them. 'Resin fingers' ^^
      I also like how my dolls all smell a little different. Two of them have been scented on request by the company (AngellStudio) and I like the harmony of this scent with the smell of resin.

5. I saw the title for this thread and though "wait.....what?, that can't be right" then I read the OP and found myself laughing.

I actually do a sniff test on my dolls faces after a week after a faceup, basically to make sure the smell of sealant has dissipated enough for me to be really close to them. I wear a respirator when working with the sealant and I leave the head somewhere to air after each layer of sealant has dried so I don't have to keep the thing on my face when I'm actually doing the faceup (because I have trouble drawing a breath in wearing the respirator)

I do give my new dolls a sniff though, basically to see if the smell is strong so I can air them for a while or in the case of my dollfie dream, because I didn't know what that type of Vinyl actually smelled like!

I like to smell a lot of things though, new pencils, old books, leather and things that I know aren't toxic. I don't know why I do it really.

6. I love the smell of resin! Especially that smell when you first take the new doll out of its box.
      But I noticed depending on the company that makes them, they smell good or kinda weird(bad).
      I do smell my dolls when I play with them. I get sad when it fades though :C

7. I don't sniff my dolls...

8. I think new resin smells terrible! Ringdoll seems to be the worst to me. Every time I get a new doll from them, they smell like fresh paint! It burns! lol But they seem to air out really quickly so it doesn't bother me that much, and I still prefer new dolls to used.

9. It really depends. I have a doll that I keep in it's box and every time I open it, I get smacked with this horrible waft of fume filled air. To me, that is not a good sign. I tried letting the doll sit out for 2-3 days and it didn't change anything.

10. Having worked in manufacturing for 40 years, I really like the chemically smells...WD40, machine oil and lubricants, electrical component sprays, toulene, acetone, industrial grade alcohol, most cleaners, polishes, and paint especially. I have the interior of my home repainted every three years because it smells cleaner to me with a fresh payer of paint. Resin is wonderful perfume when it wafts off a newly unboxed doll to me lol!

11. I do, because it's associated not just with a new doll, but the joy of modding, which is a pure leisurely luxury to me, because I rarely have time. I have to keep reminding myself about the extreme toxicity of resin dust though! Mask is a must, guys! :)

12. I like the smell of new dolls! Scent is strongly tied to memory and I was so surprised and happy when I got my first doll that the smell of resin still reminds me of that. I don't think I'll ever really out grow it.

It's like the smell of an old book, or the smell of grapefruit... It just stirs something in me.

13. I love the smell, and all the good feelings and memories it brings! I particularly love the smell of my Weylin. The combination of resin, eye putty, paint and testors is just intoxicating. It's very relaxing. :)

14. i'm going to be completely honest.

i have never noticed what resin smells like. i literally have no idea. then again, it's a running joke in my family that i have no sense of smell.

15. When I opened Aisling's box I was pleasantly surprised by the smell. Now, I can't wait to get that first sniff as I take them out of the box. I can't say I notice it for very long, but it's great while I can.

16. The thing is I used to hate it, now I love it. I love getting a new doll partly because of the fresh resin smell.

17. I like the smell of resin. Sometimes. Sometimes don`t.(:I think I am neutral.

18. I like the smell when a doll first arrives, but I don't like smelling it constantly.

19. It took awhile for me to first notice a resin smell (my dolls didn't come smelling too strongly), but I actually kind of like it. But I'm weird like that. Resin smell means a new doll, so perhaps I associate it with happiness? XD

20. I love it, but I'm aware of the health risks attached to breathing it in. It's like gasoline. :T If it smells good, don't sniff it.