1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you make clothes for your doll?

Sep 17, 2010

1. Absolutely I do. My dolls are character dolls and I love to sew costumes.

2. For me the biggest reason of getting a bjd in the first place was to be able to make clothes. With their great mobility and pose-ability fantastic for my needs and and less breakable than the porcelain dolls I make.which is especially helpful since I suffer from a disease that has caused nerve damage.
      It's only in getting to know more about them lately that I've been getting more and more enthusiastic about what you can do with them!

I'm working towards a collection of different sized dolls, and design and make knittware for them. Am slowly getting better at sewing, because I like to make everything myself, but that's not were my heart lies.

3. Yeah, I sew and knit clothes for my dolls quite a bit. It's really fun, and it's a great way to get a one of a kind outfit! Plus, you can get exactly what you want, even things that none of the doll companies sell - which is really important to me since I enjoy designing clothes, and can't ever find anything like them for sale ^-^

4. Yup! I love sewing and knitting, and my doll loves a big wardrobe. So we're both happy! ^^

5. Yes I do! The majority of my doll's clothes are handmade, though I am always scouring the marketplace in case I find something that's a great deal and can't resist. I make pants pretty well (they're easy after all), and I've made a dress for one of my girls, but in the end its more of I'm so very lazy and I don't really LIKE sewing ¦D;;;; So that kind of puts a damper on things. I've always been the one to add embellishments. I'm great as sewing my hand but with something so small + sewing machine I tend to make a lot of mistakes. Though, I wonder if making clothes for an SD would be easier, since they're bigger. All my dolls currently are MSD, and there's a YoSD on the way.

The good thing about it all is, dolls don't take up too much fabric, so if I mess up its not a huge loss, as there's plenty more where it came from, ha ha. XD

6. When I'm not procrastinating, I do. ;) I like doing pants, skirts, and kimonos the best... but there's a lot of pride after I finish a shirt with tons of fiddly details like plackets and handsewn buttonholes. I love that feeling when I finish something special or complicated and put it on one of my dolls. It's like there's this inner part of me that is always so excited to accomplish a piece like that. You know... an inner voice that says, "OMG! I did that!? :D"

7. No.

I have no sewing machine. I am very slow at hand-sewing. I am not good at clothing design.

I do wish I could sew some things because I want some things that I can't find anywhere--but there are so many wonderful clothing designers and seamstresses out there that I can find lots of wonderful, irresistible fashions... so I'm happy to buy! (Although my finances are not so great because of that!) *_*

8. I try ^^
      It's not very easy for me but I try to improve myself
      sometimes it's a little bit frustating but I prefer to spend some times on this activity
      in order to save money for other things (wigs, shoes....)
      let's hope that I will get better and better !

9. Yes, I make clothes for my Blythe dolls. I bought a lot of dolls magazine to learn that. It's enjoyable to make it by yourself. It's also expensive to buy from shops.

10. I make doll clothes occasionally. They're usually just plain tee-shirts, pajamas, or hats. Although, I did manage to make a hime-kei dress for my SD girl last week and I'm pretty happy about it!

11. Hmm, I'm still consider as "still practicing". I manage to sew a few, but not so well done. One was lovely but it could barely fit and the pants was too loose! So pretty much, I sew for them, but at the moment, they can't wear it on them properly yet! XD

12. Yes I do~ I can't sew but I wanted to make clothings for my little boys, so I started learning~ I don't think my cuttings and sewing are all correct (I just put the cloth on my body, cut, and stitch them together... lol professional seamstresses will probably vomit blood at them), and the threading is always a mess underneath, but it's really a joy to complete an outfit and see your dolls wear them~ ^^

13. I'm trying to make clothes. That's what sold in the stores I do not like ..
      But on Puki to make clothes very difficult, yet I have nothing good will come (((

14. Errr, sort of.
      I can make underwears for them which are not that complected.
      My mom used to knit a small sweater for my boy, I was trying to learn but.... things not always run smooth as I wanted...

Now, I'm having a plan about learn design skirts for my girl, girls skirts seems easier to make than boy's clothes.
      I wish I could enjoy and success at the time.

15. I try to make clothes for doll but I'm beginner at it. So, basically my doll is my practice ..subject? Volunteer XD?

16. well i do try! i have tons of fabric but have only perfected to sew for YOSD size....but i am getting better on bigger sizes so who knows!

17. I try to, but it usually fails. I am getting a tiny though, so I might be re-insipired to try.

18. If it's an extreme emergency, I can sew a button. It sort of ends there. ^^

No, not really! My dolls deserve MUCH better clothes than my handiwork. I like them to look their best, and I'm not capable of creating that. For anything that actually involves construction, straight seams, and neat edges, I bring the project to any one of my sewing friends, for their machines and their expertise. (I am lucky to live near StrangeAngels, Kellyhime, Mrtea2 and Snowleopard, who are absolute wizards with a sewing machine and can knit anything.)

I have cobbled some garments together, though, if I'm aiming for a crude-looking layer whose perfection doesn't matter... i.e. a fishnet pullover that's supposed to look shreddy and homemade, or a tank-top that's supposed to look like the owner ripped off the sleeves & neckline. Or if it's extremely simple.... i.e. fingerless street-urchin gloves = a tube of fabric with holes hacked in one end.

My powers lie more in accessorizing. :thumbup: I can make decor out of anything and dangle it off just the right part of any doll so it looks best with his outfit. Why isn't accessorizing an Olympic sport yet? I could win respect there.

19. My house is always a bomb and my poor kids have to eat leftovers half the time because of my compulsive sewing. The other day the dog had thread hanging from his mouth mixed with slober. I guess it's a better habit them some I could turn to:D

20. I'm good at sewing...when I have patterns and instruction sheets.
      These are...not so easy to find for my dolls.
      So I wind up screwing up a million times over on everything, cursing, and saying "Faen, you're just keeping your store-bought clothes :x"