1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you manage your doll information?

Jun 26, 2018

1. I made a spreadsheet that's kinda sorta organized by tabs.
      One tab lists arrival dates, type of doll (company and sculpt name, and whether full, head only, body only), new or secondhand (and batch year if the latter), and resin colour.
      Another tab lists eyes (at least the main brands I use) and which doll is wearing them.
      There's a separate tab for wigs, but because these are the ones I have the most of, it's very incomplete.
      And there's a tab that lists which head is a hybrid with which body, that always gets edited because I switch them around quite a bit.
      Though the one thing I never bothered with listing how much they cost because of currency fluctuations and conversions.

2. I keep a multi-tab spreadsheet. The first tab tracks each doll by character name, followed by company, general size, the name of that line through their company, what sculpt they are, what resin color they are, what year they were made, and what mods I've done to them. (I'm also working on adding their prices new, slowly, so I can ultimately use it for insurance purposes, as well as links to where to buy them new; those that can't be purchased new will need some different designation on them.)

The second tab is for their wigs, and as all the names are cloned from the first tab (this is a super easy thing you can do with spreadsheets!), I can't miss any! This one's a lot more detailed with pricing and purchase links, since most of my wigs come from the same place, and also has areas hilighted where I haven't bought wigs yet so I can fill in what I want as I decide, then remove the hilight after they've been purchased and have arrived.

The third tab covers eyes, in the same way that the wig tab is set up (and similar with the pricing, since, again, I buy mainly from a single shop).

The fourth covers heads for hybrids (which I don't have many of, so only the relevant names are cloned over), and the fifth is bodies for hybrids. The last tab helps me track who still needs their new wigs and eyes; I have enough "temporary" wigs and eyes that most of them don't sit around bald and eyeless (occasionally someone shows up that's weirdly sized or refuses all temp items) so I can't tell at a glance. It's also nice for times when I'm planning an order, to be able to quickly look and see who needs stuff in that order and if it's enough to justify placing one. :)

I don't currently document their provenance and I'm a little bad about CoA storage (most of them are in the original boxes, at least), and I probably should get better about it. I ought to also get some very plain insurance-purpose photos of them to link into the spreadsheet, but at least currently, if someone asks what wig or eyes one of my dolls has, it's really easy to look it up!

3. Currently I have my doll info in several tables in a Microsoft Word document. I've kept track of company & sculpt, arrival date, resin color, and purchase price. I also have a list of the wig and eyes each doll has. I have most of their COAs in a box together, but don't keep paper copies of anything else.

4. No. I haven't done this in the past, as I never felt the need to. I'm lazy about things like this.

5. So I don't really record some of the stuffs indicated but I do remember some information and I utilize DoA's doll profiles for the other sorts (like provenance). I'm really bad at keeping notes, may it be digital or physical copies so utilizing that feature here helps me a lot.

6. I have a basic spreadsheet that we developed in the local group to reference if we wanted to do comparisons at meets, I recorded the basic things, company, mold, skin colors, etc, additionally, I recorded the provenance for all my own dolls in my personal copy of it. I'm really glad I have the info now because 2 of my older dolls and 2 faceplates were from eBay. I doubt I'll ever sell these particular items, they are among my favorites and thankfully the transactions were all safely done some time before the sculpts were recast, but it gives me peace of mind to keep all my doll information clear.

I get it that not everyone is a spreadsheet nerd but with the current second hand market so tough, keeping reliably dated records is very helpful to more safely buy or sell older dolls with missing paperwork/boxes etc. It might mean the difference between a sale and a nope so I'd say it's worth your trouble.
      I'd buy confidently from a long-time DoA member who posted their dolls here and had their old eBay or PayPal screenshots. I'll likely be looking for at least one more pretty old doll that probably won't have their box/paperwork so I'll need to rely on good record-keeping and tracking the provenance!

Going forward, since many of my dolls are discontinued, and as companies change or update their bodies, etc...I'm thinking of adding the measurements for each doll, especially since I've done some hybridization...plus it's just helpful to have things like eye and foot sizes handy at a glance in a neat column.

7. When I plan out a doll I usually write out a character sheet with their theme colours, like and dislikes, a summary of their personality and background, all that stuff. I also add in their company stats or measurements if I can find it, and include their arrival dates. So I have individual documents of each doll and also a spreadsheet to see all of them at once. :) Makes things more convenient when I want to check up on their details. (And yet I still keep missing their birthdays recently. ^^;; )

8. I keep a word file listing the company, sculpt, resin color, and date they arrived. I should probably start keeping track of if they're second hand or bought new from the company too. And switch to a spreadsheet, which sounds a lot neater than what I've been doing....

9. I am currently thinking about doing sonething like this... I am just not sure if I should do it in a virtual file or not... but I‘d like to add the COA‘s to the files... so I am probably going to put everything in some kind of box. Now would be a good time while I still have not many dolls and not having already lost track

10. I'm pretty easy going about such things, but with a good-sized collection of around 35 dolls I find I really appreciate the doll profiles section here on DoA. What a brilliant idea that was! The information I put there is everything I would like to remember about my dolls, and it really helps me keep track. I have a lovely leather-bound journal that I plan to start copying that information into over the summer as a hard copy, as well as writing down each of my doll's stories. So between the doll profiles and my special dolly journal, I'll be good to go.:)

11. I really like all the ideas in this thread!
      I had started a page on my Evernote app, but just got really lazy about it. I only have 1 doll and I'm already forgetting where I bought stuff and for how much.

I've got girl #2 on the way and no system. :ablink:

Thanks to this thread, I'm inspired to organize!

12. Good idea. May be I start right now)

13. I just keep a note book with name of doll sculpt, date of purchase and price paid so I can refer back if I wanted to sell or just see cost for insurance I tend to say im going to start doing a page for each with a bio on them but never get round to it maybe once ive retired

14. I keep records for my insurance company... Photos of all of my dolls, any paperwork they came with, emails of purchases and such. I don't have everything for every doll in my crew, though, and I don't keep records of who I sold previously-owned dolls to.

15. I made spreadsheet of my doll expenses and a separate one for dolls information, such as head sculpt, company names, measurements - only of the dolls that I owned tho.

16. The CoAs already give me all of the information I need regarding original provenance and birthday, which makes it pretty easy for me since I rarely buy secondhand, and there are only two dolls in the crew that arrived before CoAs were a standard thing for all companies. As for price, I don't really care if I remember in the long run or not; if I don't sell a doll within a year or so of purchase, I have no intention of selling it at all. My dolls are covered by my homeowner's insurance, which does not demand the meticulous records that insuring them individually would require - so yeah, I'm fairly lazy about the whole thing.

17. I keep my COAs in one box and the rest of the info about my orders is strewn across emails, DOA and various accounts with doll companies. I know where to look if I need to pull any of the info up, so that's good enough for me!

18. I never really felt the need to keep detailed information like this, mostly because I'm fairly sure I will never need to sell them, so unless the information matters to me personally I don't care. The dolls I do end up selling I tend not to keep for long, so all the information is still fresh in my mind anyway.

The only information I keep for my permanent crew is arrival date (so i can use it as their birthday), face up artist, details about the option parts (like bust size, joint types) and resin colour. I keep all this information public on my Flickr account so anyone who is interested about the doll can access it.

19. A lot of the doll stuff I have is secondhand, so I went digging for some information on original sculpt info etc so that I could have it... and gathered other information... and found some interesting stuff... and somehow ended up making a whole Volks database. Whoops. :sweat
      Recently my partner and I have been considering making a little website with more doll info though, so that we can easily manage everything. We do have their CoAs and all (where applicable), but they all swap bodies and parts and clothes so often that it can be hard to keep track of who has what. I'd like to figure out a little bit more of what came from where in our collection (especially in regards to wigs/eyes/clothes) but it's been almost 15 years so... it may be a futile attempt.