1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you mind getting your dolls wet?

Jun 20, 2009

1. well this is good to know that water is not a big deal and what not but i will be careful

2. I would be too nervous to completely submerge, partly because I'm not yet comfortable with the idea of restringing, partly because I'm just a paranoid person. A light wipe down I would definitely do though, they're going to need a bath from time to time living in my busy house full of furry beasts. D:

3. My grate dane like to lay around the doll.... she curles up and protects the doll it is cute...i need to make a satle for Vila so she can ride joan

4. This is actually something I was very curious about, having seen a few photo shoots that at least implied the dolls were partially or completely submerged... I wasn't sure if it was a photo-trick or what. ::laughs::

But now I wonder about the photo I saw in "October's" Haute Doll magazine - the winner of that vampire contest with the dollie in a tub of blood.... Wondering if the blood the doll was sitting in had the blood photoshopped, if they used a dye that wouldn't stain the doll, or if they didn't care if the doll got stained. ::laugh::

5. The only thing I'd be concerned about would be the elastic, which can rot out if it gets too wet. If you're a savvy stringer with extra elastic laying around, then everything should be more than fine.

6. :The Duchess: pointed out a pretty neat fact. I had just got done looking at the winner of the haute doll vampire contest (brilliant to portray Elizabeth Bathory with doll heads sitting around) and it hadn't even occured to me to wonder about sitting the doll in a bathtub of 'blood' and the possibilty of staining and all that. curious.

7. I wouldn't want to get my dolls wet. I don't think it would hurt the resin, but I worry about the faceup. And I love the faceups on all my dolls, so I would be devastated if they got messed up! However, if someone wants to take that chance with their own doll, that's their business. You can do whatever you want with your own dolls, just don't mess with mine! :lol:

8. As long as you're comfortable with restringing, there's no harm in soaking dollies. Rishi's notorious for this, and we've gotten a lot of beautiful pictures of Rishi's dolls in fountains, rivers, pools, etc. ^^; The faceups are still perfect, and the dolls take no damage. It's just something of a pain to unstring them, dry them out, and restring them again, so I haven't done it myself.

The only mishap we've had thus far is the strong river current stealing Token's wig and washing it away. Fortunately, it was easily replaced. ^^;

9. I don't mind if I need it for artistic needs.
      You just have to dry the string after that - water can't do damage to plastic if you don't turn your doll into a mermaid and keep it in it for months.
      But I've never put my doll completely under water, to be frank. I just put him in the river so as the feets and legs were down there. Came up with the idea of shooting a face underwater - with sleeping heads that could work brilliant!)) Give the idea for free if you haven't done that before, of course.

10. as lots of people already said, i guess, the worst risk is for the elastic to get wet and ruined if it doesn't drye completly, and eventually snapping, and it would be very annoying (and cause the doll to disassemble, i think...)
      apart from this, putting a doll under water won't really ruin it. The sealant for the faceup is also made to not be ruined by water (trought i often wonder how it would be like putting a doll under the rain, with all this pollution and acid rains...)
      personally, i've often put my dolls in water, rain, torrents, mud, etc. Everyrthing to make a cool effect and that is non permanent. :) I'm not overly protective, and the elastic can be brought, it's not even so expensive.

11. I don't mind submerging my dolls under water. Although, I do take my dolls to have bubble bathes with me sometimes. But afterward, I would have to dry out the elastic, their s-hooks and body. I don't know why, not that I'm daring or anything; it’s just my way of bonding with them. :sweat

12. While I haven't gotten any of my boys wet I'd probably avoid doing so until I was really really inspired for some sort of photo. But as a lot of people have said, getting them wet wont hurt them, just comes with a small check list of things to do afterward.

13. I would be very much fine with it as long as I had it thoroughly coated (so the faceup was not ruined) and a big thing tested the wig for bleeding. I would hate to have my beautiful Heather's wig bleed out its colour all over him and stain. Otherwise I have rinsed their pieces plenty of times. I just hear and agree that it would be best to take them apart after a full soaking and let the string dry out so it does not rot and snap.

14. I have done a "Spa Shoot" with my Weylin Sam, (well he was Moon at the time) and it was all fine but I clean him pretty regularly and have restrung him and my MSD who has been cleaned as well... Like most say, just dry the strings, restringing isnt that hard and I didnt even have to look at a tutorial to do it my first time. (of course you will need something to hold strings when your fingers cant) or just dont submerge them, I had Sam submerged in the water and he is fine still... just dont rub at the faceup when you dry them.

15. When they were new, but not anymore, now I wash them myself. :)

16. I used to mind getting my doll wet, but then I realized its not really going to hurt anything. If by chance you submerge your dolls in water tho I'd take em apart after and dry em off real good then let em finish drying on a towel. I think the string is the only thing you really have to worry about. The face up usually doesn't chip easily if its sealed well, but I'd still be careful in drying it off...specially if it has glitter or jewels on the face.

17. I've got a couple of dolls that need restringing; I might take advantage of that to do an underwater photoshoot - after all, if I have to restring them anyway, it doesn't matter if their elastic gets soaked! Though I might wait until the weather warms up - it's no fun playing with dolls in a freezing cold stream in January....

18. I took Rhiannon to the creeks out in the pastures to do a shoot with her in the stream, but I chickened out because the water looked dirty and muddy. Not to mention a precarious climb down with doll and equipment. So I settled for next to the stream instead :P
      I want to do an ocean shoot as well, but I am afraid she will be swept away with a large swell.

19. I would never do that. I'm always worried It would do something to the elastic or damage the resin, Event when I'm taking pictres out in the snow I wrap my doll's legs in plastic wrap!

20. I've never taken any of my dolls into water but I don't think I'd mind. I would just make sure that the elastic is dry and rinse the doll parts that got wet in water.