1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you mind if your dolls look similar?

Mar 23, 2010

1. Hmmm... yes, I kind of mind... a little bit. The sculpts of all the dolls I want are pretty different, but I guess the particular style I want them in are similar... nothing too outrageous (meaning no funky coloured hair or gore faceups, etc.)
      I don't have very many dolls right now but I'm planning for my future ones to have different hair/eye colours and personalities... like, I'd have one innocent one, one bratty, one cocky-looking ... and I'd even make their names have different origins... but, whatever works for each doll, I guess. xD;; That being said, I still don't think I'd never want two of the same sculpt... not even twins. I'd get tired of them faster that way... :sweat

2. heh, I seem to be the minority here XD EDIT: other than whitefrosty who posted right before me XDDD
      I do jump through hoops to make all my dolls/characters different from one another. As different as I can anyway. I only have one White blond character and he has the blue eyes. no one else is allowed blue eyes...not even different blues. For a while, I had a lot of characters/dolls with green eyes, I put an end to dolls with green eyes. I'm down to two now and they're different enough that it's ok. I have a floating head with the same eyes and hair color as another doll...He will be finding new eyes before he gets a body.

I do this with height and body as well...I don't like to double up and have more than one doll with the same body (ignore all my Kara Klums, they're the same person, they don't count), everyone must be different. I also don't mind different sculpts next to one another, I love my stylized dolls with my more realistic ones, I think they look great! As long as they have different hair colors dammit! XDDD

but honestly this only bothers me in my own dolls, I don't care what other people do with their collections. Chances are all I see are the pretty dollies, not that they all have the same eye color.

3. I wouldn't want them to look the same, but some similarities are fine with me... for example, I wouldn't want both of my dolls to have green eyes and dark brown hair like Hakkai does. Luckily, that's not a problem, since Kazuki is based on a very different character, but she still might end up with dark brown hair eventually (the wig I have waiting for her now is dark reddish-brown) and I don't mind that.

In one way, I do prefer them similar, though: both of my dolls have white skin and dark hair/eyes. I just love the look of it, and AoD's white skin is a very nice shade. :3 I had the opportunity to get "normal skin" for Kazuki when I ordered her, but decided against it - I thought it would make Hakkai look deathly ill! xD

4. Interesting answers!
      I've got black hair and hazel eyes (naturally, at least) so maybe that's why I'm so drawn to blonde wigs and light eyes - I just like to try out looks I can't carry off myself. I'd love a dark eyed, dark haired doll one day, but for now I've decided not to feel guilty for making my boy and my girl have light eyes. It's just my taste.

Oh is that Saiyuki's Hakkai? I love Minekura Kazuya's boys ^^

5. If we're talking just about the actual sculpts of the dolls themselves, then I actually prefer they be similar. My older sister complains to me every time that I get a new doll that I shouldn't have bothered since he looks almost exactly the same as the others. I say her eyes are just untrained ;) Since my dolls are all from the same 'story' world, I want them to LOOK it, so I'm not going to mix extremely stylized with uber realistic. So even though only two of my dolls are currently even from the same company, and the others are all a mix, I like it that they look like they could have come from the same place.

As for everything else however...it's a tricky issue. I'm also one of the types where I very much dislike having 2 dolls with the same body sculpt and for the longest time it drove me crazy that that was the case with my two DoCs (I was still too new to the hobby to consider hybriding). But now that was one has had a thigh mod and the other has been dyed gray/given hooves/has a potbelly, I find that they're different enough now not to bother me as much (except for the exact same hands! Need to remedy that someday).

But as for their actual looks, I suppose I am half and half on that issue. As all my dolls were based on existing RP characters, I'm not about to change them now just to make them different from one another. Though when I first created their characters I did attempt to diversify them as I like representing a variety of people (same with my RP partner, as half my dolls are representations of her characters). Sure, half my dolls will have black hair, but one of them will have dark brown skin and two-toned eyed, another will wear glasses, have dark eyes and look of Korean decent, another will have lighter eyes and look much more gentle than either of the other two, and the last one is a mini which none of the others are. So despite them all sharing this same trait (two of them even have similar colored eyes), I still can't see them as looking remotely similar.

6. Good question! I don't mind similarities as sometimes they're related characters and I also have an affection for candy coloured wigs. XD

Some of my dolls do look similar particularly when they're related. For example, my 43cm Narae (pale blue haired and green eyed) is the younger sister of my Narin Charisma (navy blue hair and cream eyes) and they both have a golden skintone. My two Zaolls have bright coloured hair (pink and blue) and bright eyes (yellow and purple) and a pale pink skintone. My 60cm Narae has pale purple hair and her two descendant characters (siblings of one another) have milky white hair. I also have three who are independent in terms of looks from the rest as they're not related to anyone.

7. Personally, I prefer to have a small collection of BJDs (in fact I already have more than I thought my ideal number would be) so repetitive dolls would be kind of a "waste" in that sense (even though there are certain features/lines/hair colours/etc I like enough to have multiples of). However, although 3 out of my 4 dolls have set eyes and hair colours, the 4th has wigs and eyes in different colours, so if I feel like having two dolls with pink hair and brown eyes or purple hair and eyes, then I can just swap out her wig and eyes and have matching dolls (she also has wigs and eyes in colours that none of my other dolls wear).

If I ever change my mind about having a small group of BJDs though, I'll probably end up with a few similar dolls- just as I have multiple dresses in my closet in my favourite colours! ;)

8. Yup! :D There's a picture of him in my profile. Hakkai is my favorite, so my BFF literally bought me a Hakkai doll (she got the wig, eyes, outfit, everything) for my birthday~ he's amazing. (Someday I wouldn't mind having a Kubota doll, from Wild Adapter, but he'd be difficult, lol.)

9. I have a thing for twins, so no, I don't really mind when dolls look similar. I get more irritated when one of the group is too different to fit in with the rest. Honestly, you know what you like. If you want all of your dolls to be totally different and that's a parameter you set for yourself, go for it. If you're doing it because you think you should… don't. You'll only end up unhappy.

10. Mmmm not so much. XD I mean, if they were the same its one thing, unless they're identical twins or something, but something like an eye colour is no big deal. My two incoming guys have pretty similar eye colours, but that's just a coincidence, as the characters are totally different otherwise. One will have yellow eyes, red hair and purple skin, while the other's a natural skin with gold eyes and white/silver hair. XD So similarities don't really get too me much. XD

11. For two dolls that look totally the same,I prefer two kinds of makeup...

12. Well so far 3 out of my 4 dolls have red hair lol but two of them are twins so...

I agree with some others who have said that they have characters for their dolls so they make them look however their character looks. All my dolls share a similar style, but they never wear the same clothes.

13. Kinda, lol. The dolls are expensive, so I personally wouldn't want to have a doll that look similar. Plus, I'd like them to look unique and not like each other, but that's just my opinion.

14. all mine look different but i wouldnt mind having another IH Jessica in the family to have twin girls.

15. yes and no. for instance, i'm dying to get my hands on both the DOD Homme Kirill and the Homme Ivan. They look rather similar, almost like twins. And if that's what you're going for, do it!
      as for completely unrelated dolls, it just depends on how far-out you want to go with their design. After all, irl there are hundreds of thousands of people with the same color hair. its just with things like BJDs where we can really make them something different.
      you also have to account for personal taste. I happen to be attracted to blond/brown/maroon colored hair and blue/teal/green eyes.
      I guess what i'm getting at here is it all comes down to personal taste! ^^;

16. The only dolls I have that look like eachother were intended to be that way. I have a pair of twin boys who are the same scultp and have both similar and different traits. I'm also working on a father and son who are more or less identical in eye color, hair, and skin tone. Other than that, I like to have a variety of eyes and wigs and sculpts because I can. But apparently I'm partial to green eye... who knew?

17. I totally agree with that x) I could not imagine my dolls looking the same but still i like the "natural" look more than the "punk" look.. so if i would have ten dolls i wouldn´t mind having two or three wih brown haircolor (for example) than having one "more individual" with pink hair : ) So i guess it really does depend on ones taste. <3

18. I don't mind if unrelated dolls look similar; I know what sort of hair color/eye color combinations I like, and so some of my dolls will reflect that. However, I do have some twins planned and several siblings, and I'm actually a little worried it'll be hard to make them look similar enough to be siblings :sweat My twins, since I'm going to do their face-ups myself, will be even harder. But, to the point, no, I don't mind if dolls look similar.

19. I do feel obliged sometimes. A lot of my dolls have black hair and I feel the need to have dolls with... different coloured hair. I also love brown eyes, all my dolls would have black hair and brown eyes if I didn't hold myself back. Or... if... that weird obligation didn't hold me back lol.

20. My dolls all look very different, but that was more by accident than by design - My first doll was a 60cm male, costumed in a mixture of russian gulag tattoos and early 90s gutterpunk, my second was a 60cm female who dresses in ballgowns and generally cuddly, girly clothes, and my third was a 45cm girl who somehow ended up as a desert sprite and psychopomp with electric blue hair.

I'm eagerly awaiting my fourth - A 45cm male, to round out the set. I'm excited to see who he'll be.