1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you mind if your dolls look similar?

Mar 23, 2010

1. Even though sometimes it's kind of cool to see dolls that look similar being together.......it has a cool effect. I have some twins in my collection too but but personally I prefer them to all look different even if some are of the same sculpt >< It's more fun that way for me.

2. My dolls all share a similar aesthetic because that is what I am attracted to in a character/doll. I have a group that are a family and they do all look related and share similar features - fairly pointed, interesting noses, droopy eyes. And for the dolls that aren't related to this family, there is still a high likelihood they will have pointy noses and droopy eyes because I like them. I have several blue eyed redheads, two girls with the same black hair and grey eyes, and a couple of dolls with the same unnatural yellow fur wig. I am more than happy to repeat the same colour combos over and over because I like them. I think at one point I owned 6 blue eyed blondes.

I am very picky about bodies, so once I find one I like, I am fine about having multiples about it. I'm not looking for super realism here with everyone being a different shape. It also makes it a lot easier to clothe everyone.

3. I have a similar rule. While I don't mind having more than one head of the same mold, I try to have as many different bodies for my dolls as possible. I think bodies cost too much to have a bunch of the same and I like the engineering part of the hobby too. If I buy a doll with a body I already have, I could also buy something I haven't handled and played with yet. ^_^

4. I have a lot of black haired dolls. None of them look the same. Even if you choose the same eyes, the difference in the sculpt changes the way the eyes will look in that doll.

5. no. in fact i have two sets of twins.

6. I actually felt like this for a bit when trying to plan what colour my Zaoll Luv's eyes should be. I want her to have a pale or olive green, but I was planning to have another doll with the same colour. Now I'm not getting that other doll though, so I guess I can just go ahead, but yes, it does kind of get to me when my dolls look the same without actually having their characters as siblings or something.

I do want all of my dolls to be unique from one another unless I have good reason to make them similar/the same.

7. I have this rule too. The only exception being male and female variations, but, as a collector of tinies, that usually doesn't make much difference.

I'm not one to really care about whether my dolls look similar. I do want instantly recognizable differences, but I like what I like.

8. I always thought I should have all of my dolls look differently, but the reality is I tend to lean toward certain looks and colors. Many of my dolls have from white/ivory to golden blonde wigs (even the doll who was given green hair has the faintest green on a mostly white wig), and most of them have mohair wigs. I never seem to opt for black hair. It isn't that I dislike it, I just never seem to find the perfect dark wig.

9. I think it depends ^^;; I only have one doll but I have an obsession with identical twins and I love seeing two that look exactly alike haha. And since a lot of my future dolls go with the storyline of my first, they'll probably all have similar styles.
      So overall, no :P

10. I only have one doll at the mo, but I don't think I will feel as though they all have to have different wigs and eyes. If they suit another colour thats fine, but if they end up with the same colour thats fine too. I think it's the sculpt that will make them look different not just the eyes and wigs.

11. Hello, I do not care if my dolls have similar characteristics.
      As eyes, hair color and other things, despite being equal, as you said, the patterns are different, are "individuals" different.
      It's just a comparison
      And well ... coincidences happen in real life too, is not strange to find or live with people who have the same color eyes and hair that you
      I think something very natural

12. I tend to want to give them all distinct looks because characterwise they are very varied. Now, if they are related I may and can give them similar looks etc. But they tend to somehow look fairly different somehow anyways. But as other mentioned there's nothing wrong with making everyone look similar

13. With eyes and such, I never mind as much if they're similar... but wigs are different. I try to have a better variety of wig colours and styles. I think if 4 dolls had blue eyes, but all had different colour wigs, it wouldn't be as noticeable since the wigs really "complete" everything, if that makes sense?

14. I think my Volks Alain and Genji look similar, except Alain has a sweet smile and Genji is very intense. I like how similar they are because they could be brothers, but look like they have different personalities anyway and also, because they are so much the same style, they are good to photograph together.

15. No. In fact, I'd like them to have some running theme to connect them. Like black hair, and different shades of purple eyes. Don't stress so much. You like what you like. There's no problem with that.

16. My two treasured Hounds are going to look fairy similar, but that's because they are both fantasy characters, elves of a particular flavor. My goal is to keep them stylistically the same - as two persons from the same culture would look - yet different enough to be individuals.

17. I have a tendency to buy "twins", just with slightly different faceups and eye colors. So no, I don't mind if my dolls look the same at all. In fact, it can be very cute.

18. if they look too much alike i'll get bored and sell them.
      i'm someone capricious (have difficulty bounding) with my dolls. if i cant do his/her faceup, if the caracter is not nice enough, if i cant do his mod right, if i cant buy him/her clothes, then i wont bound and i'll sell it! so if i look at my collection and they all look the same, it'll go in the ''caracter not nice enough'' section and i'll sell most of them!

19. One of my main reasons to converting from other dolls to BJDs was to get the variety. I had dolls that all looked alike. Now I want a really diverse variety. I also love being able to totally change the look/personality of a doll from one day to the next by changing eyes/wigs/fashion style. I guess my dolls have multiple personality disorder.

20. I don't mind in the least. I have several dolls who I have intentionally customized so that they look similar to one another. And I've also found that dolls from the same company always have a similar sort of "look" to them regardless of how different their owners have made them look.

But I also like a bit of variety so some of my dolls also look very unique. It's all up to what their owners want to do with them and that's what makes this such a fun hobby.