1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you mind if your dolls look similar?

Mar 23, 2010

1. To a certain point. I dont mind if two of my dolls have brown hair, but I do mind if they both have brown hair and grey eyes.

Mostly, though, it's the sculpt that can't look too similar for me. I like my dolls to "fit" with each other stylistically while not being the same sculpt. For example I was eyesing Crobidolls Lance for the longest time, but then realised the only reason I like it so much is because it looks extreamly similar to my PD Vergil.

2. I guess I don't really mind but only to a certain extent, my dolls are all "Asian" so they all have brown to black hair and brown to black eyes. In fact I once had a crazy idea to have the same outfit for all my "future" SD dolls (I have none now) but that is only because of my "storyline". xD Other than that, I try not to make them too similar, like, exactly same hair colour and hair style (which is about practically the same wig). Also, they have different personalities too. So my dolls might have a few things in common but they are also different - individuals in their own rights.

3. Nope, not at all! I was actually toying around with the idea of buying an older version/clone of MicroMike (technically, he's actually the clone) and tried to chase down more realistic version of every single physical attribute he has, from wig to hair.

Also, I really try hard to pick out dolls for characters are related that have common features so they do look like family. Hair colour, skin, eyes, sculpt nuances.

Random unrelated characters though, I like to keep varied. Not so much because I don't like it if they look similar, but more because I... like differences and variation. It's more fun to draw and photograph a mixed colourful bunch!

4. Yes, it would be disturbting to have two dolls who look really similar. When I have an idea to buy a new BJD for being one of my other dolls sister, they need to look somehow alike. But not so much that they look like twins. Even if I like some fairyland doll models very much, I have refused to buy the same face in two different sizes.

5. I think that putting different face-up will make a difference... sometimes you really cannot prevent having the same doll as others (o~_~

6. Hmmm..I'm not sure what you mean by similar. My characters for my incoming dolls has their own style, but I guess they could be similar--I mean it's a circle of friends after all and they have to have things in common.

7. I have to agree with what many people before me has said. Every doll is different, even if they all have the same color of eyes or the same hair color, they are all still different from their face to their attitude and style. Even if you had 5 of the same doll there would be a difference still. I think it's all about preference.

8. Nope, not at all. As long as I like the dolls look and it works for them, what does it matter.

9. not at all, I don't have a second doll yet but when I get her she'll be very similar to Nadeko and that's how I want them to be

10. Deepends... on the amount of the similarity that is. I once changed my Avalanche's hair color from black to red just because he'd be too similar to my Sezz... I'm also looking for alternatives for my Wintery's hair right now so he won't be too similar to my Lance... they're both blond, long-haired males (to very different extents, but still). Eyes don't bother me that much, although I prefer it if there's at least some variation in hue...

11. There's not much danger of that happening in my current family-- even though Pete and Vince might sometimes dress similarly, they'll never look alike!-- but in my planned-out-for-the-future doll family, I count on it. I'd been toying with getting two of the same sculpt, in fact, for a pair of characters who look alike, but I think in the end I'll get 'related'-looking sculpts from the same company. The guys don't need to be IDENTICAL, but they do have a lot of the same features, so when they get shelled, it will be in very similar-looking dolls.

12. My first two are somewhat similar, but now I want my next one to be different; maybe not as realistic, a little cuter...sort of.

13. i definitely enjoy variation in my doll collection. I enjoy trying out as many different combinations of colours/styles as I can. On the other hand, I don't restrict myself from doubling up occasionally. I have three dolls that all share eye/hair colours (and two share a sculpt) - but their characters reflect this, being automatons all designed by the same (apparently unimaginative XD) man.

14. I prefer for my dolls to look different. I don't plan on having too many and only have one now, so when planning out a character I make myself give them different eye/hair colors, except if they're related. However if I was going to get more than the few I'm planning on now I wouldn't mind a few similarities! :)

15. I don't mind if my dolls look similar; in fact, I generally like my dolls to appear as a cohesive whole if grouped together. Sometimes I style my dolls individually, sometimes I style them in pairs to complement each other. If I end up not liking the look or wanting a change, I can always change it to something else.

16. If any of my dolls looked similar I wouldn't mind, because that look would obviously fit their character. If I liked it and it was right for the doll I wouldn't have a reason to care.

17. I like them to fit together stylistically, so I like them to look somewhat similar in that way, but otherwise I really like variety, and having things look different.

18. I do think maybe it depends on where you are in your collecting...a few dolls, or many dolls...and what you can afford or accomplish in customization & mods.

I do like the way the same sculpt can assume so many different personalities in the hands of different artists and collectors...so I guess I would say yes, I would like my dolls to each be as unique as possible...unless they happen to be siblings or otherwise very similar in personality. :)

19. I never really thought about it, because the two I have and the third I'm working on getting are supposed to make up 3 members of a family with very specific characters- mom, dad, and daughter. Dad's going to be a fantasy color, so mostly my concern was making sure that their kiddo's resin color looked like a mix between the two. They're all Bobobies because BBB casts the color blue I want for my character, but also because I feel like that way they'll all have a similar look, as though they're really related (^_^)

20. I don't feel the need to make them distinctly different since the sculpts and skin tone are different already. Also, they share a wardrobe and they are bound to share a similar feature at one point or another. I don't worry about it since they have different personalities and even if they wear some of the same stuff, they wear it in their own unique combinations.