1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do You Need Variety?

Jan 6, 2010

1. It's a variety for me. My siblings have close hair colour and eye colour, usually matching.

Ley and Etain have black/natural black hair and (once I buy them) blue eyes
      Leria and Shirun have white-silver/silver white hair and pale slate eyes
      Cara and Calder have sandy brown hair (one's regular, the other's synthetic fur) and green eyes (or should, right now Cara has blue until I buy the right green for both of them).

Then you get into the singles.

Foxglove with sandy-blonde hair and light blue eyes
      Michaela with chestnut hair and purple eyes
      Minuet with blonde hair and brown-hazel eyes
      Mikel with calico hair and dark blue eyes
      Sean with blond hair and brown eyes
      Kraille with black hair and extremely, extremely pale lavender eyes (that look almost white-grey)
      Leonard with wine hair and red eyes
      Mead with black hair and purple eyes (a different shade from Michaela's)
      Monte with grey-black hair and light blue eyes
      Chaia with dark brown hair and green eyes
      Ein with grey-white hair and blue pupil-less eyes

and the rest I haven't decided on yet ^^; I don't go out of my way to make them all different, they just end up that way. Even the siblings have different 'shades' to their hair, even if they're technically the same colour. I didn't actually pay attention to it until now, honestly.

2. I have a preference for dirty-blonde wigs. :D; I think I have about three of them, and I love them to death, but I am thinking of adding more variety! I'd love to get some auburn and brown wigs added to the mix.

3. Yep, I really need a varied doll group. No one has the same colour eyes or hair; I really wanted diversity. They are all Caucasian, but that's where the similarities end. I have a boy (black hair, hazel eyes), a girl (blonde hair, black eyes), a cat (pink skin, green eyes), and a child boy (brown hair, closed eyes) and I want a child girl next (don't know about her hair or eyes though...I'm thinking maybe red hair and blue eyes). I also have a project doll which isn't human, but I don't count it in my doll family...it's more or less just a project and nothing more, it doesn't have emotional attachment.

4. I absolutely love variety, but as my dolls are based after characters that have long ago been created, it took me up until actually getting them in resin form for it to really hit me that almost half my crew have black hair. I admit, this did bother me for awhile, but since I've grown so attached to the characters and their physical forms, it just wouldn't work to change them now. In any case, aside from their black hair really nothing else about them is very similar-one has deep brown skin and two-toned eyes, another has a more Korean sculpt with dark eyes, the other is more caucasian looking with gray/violet eyes and the final one is a mini, which none of the others are.

However, black is really the only color I seem to have in abundance, as with everyone else I strove for tha variety I love so much. In the current crew as well as not-too distance future there will be a creame blonde, white, purple, gray-blue, pink and red. The one color I have noticed I have ignored, oddly enough, is brunette! D: Though that may have something to do with having brown hair myself and so getting enough of it in real life. Who knows ;)

5. I specifically planned out my originally-intended dolls to have variety.

Jin is first. He'll have white skin, violet eyes, and long deep purple and/or black hair (I may have alternating wigs as when I draw him I alternate between two different purples and black for his hair color). His clothing style is sort of punk-ish or Asian-traditional or a mixture. Generally androgynous.

My Nixie will be second. She'll either be white skinned or fair skinned - depending on if Dollmore will let me order a white skin head and normal skin body or not. >_>; I don't know what her exact features will be, but likely "water" colors. So probably blue or green eyes and blue or green hair. Her clothing style will be virtually anything that suits my fancy. But generally girlish. So likely lots of lace and curls and bows.

Then I intend to have a samurai girl and she'll have brown eyes and brown-black hair and dress in various Asian-traditional or Asian-fantasy styles. Perhaps hybrids of various Asian cultures, for instance. Her clothing colors will probably be dark colors too. And not girlie at all. Sexy, perhaps, but not girlish.

Then there's my second boy doll, Chaos. He'll likely be in fire colors and I haven't really decided much about him other than he'll be more obviously masculine than Jin.

I figured that'd give me enough variety.

But of course after spending months researching my dolls, I'm starting to add more dolls to my bookmarks with titles that have, "[character name]???" by it... So far there are four more prospective dolls - all male - but with variety between them and the already mentioned characters/dolls. u_u; Oh dolling hobby...

In the end, though, I don't think it's silly to have a distinct preference for a certain type of doll. Most of the male characters I might get dolls for one day would certainly fall under the description 'bishonen' and possibly even 'androgynous' if not 'feminine'. That's just what I'm interested in having in my collection - and willing to spend time and money on. If I ran across someone who had a collection of all dark-haired, dark-eyed dolls, the only reason I would look sidelong at them is if they had more than three of the exact same doll with the exact same features. (Twins and triplets I understand, at least. xD But not an army of pod-people. xD)

6. I originally avoided too much similarity, but issues of what the OCs they're based on and the range of reasonably natural hair and eye colours has led me to think that repetition's okay in my crew, especially between characters from different storylines.

Hanwing - black hair, grey eyes
      Mi-Ja - black hair, brown eyes (once I get her Mystics)
      Kinney - red hair, green eyes

Teru - brown hair, brown eyes
      Skeena - blond hair, brown eyes (his future twin Nass has black hair and brown eyes)
      Raven - alternates between reddish brown hair or blond with brown roots, black eyes

Fabian - is a wig whore, but his natural colour is black, and when they get here will have both purple and golden eyes (eye whore, too!)
      Mason - blond, blue-grey eyes
      Van - I'd planned him as black-haired, but the Luts "natural black" wig I got him suits him too well, so dark brown it is, blue eyes
      Archer - reddish-chestnut hair (having a hard time finding him a wig x_x), reddish-brown eyes (when they get here)

Not that much variety, apparently! Size-wise, though, no two are exactly the same size. I do occasionally think I should have one non-OC-based doll so I can do crazy hair/eye colours though ^^;. It's not just with the dolls, but with OCs, that I'd end up with only black hair and red hair if I didn't try to restrain myself. *L*

7. 2 of my dolls are red-haired and one is a brunette, but for me, it's not a question of variety, it's more a question of personnality. And these were the colors that fitted my dolls best !!

Sorry for my unperfect english[/SIZE]

8. Variety is the spice of life!

Honestly!

Most of my boys will be 'fantasy' types, so they have fantastical hair colours. Some have multiple colours, some change it on a whim. I have some that have varicoloured stripes, and some that have fairly 'standard' colours. Right now I have a boy in a silvery white wig, and one that needs a dark brown one instead of the blonde he's in. I have one that will need a tabby-cat striped wig, and one that needs one that gradiated from red roots to orange and yellow at the ends!

I live for variety, same-ness bores me. XD

9. I like variety, but sometimes it just does not work for a certain doll to have different colors or style....

That is why I am trying to get different dolls so I can have a different variety of dolls in my hand =D

But in the end I know a lot of my dolls will "look alike" even if I did not want them to in the beginning xP

10. I think variety is great~all of my dolls are different sculpts from different companies, with a couple of exceptions.

They all have various hair and eye colors but I go with what I think looks best on each doll so I have a mix of blondes, brunettes and redheads and light/dark eye colors.

Where I don't vary them is in their attire. I'm a huge fan of the Regency period so all of my dolls are dressed in empire waist gowns.

The variety or lack thereof is such an individual preference, you know? I enjoy seeing people who have all kinds of different dolls and styles but it's also fun when someone has dollies that all look similar too.

11. My dolls fall into two camps: the ones with black hair, and the ones with white hair.

At the moment, black hair outnumbers white (and we have an interloper with black AND white hair! Shock!! :o) but really, I do it becuase I just like the wigs and they suit the dolls. I have had dolls with other coloured hair, but it doesn't worry me too much if all my dolls happen to have the same colour hair. There are other ways for them to look different from one another, and I don't think anyone would say that my collection is 'too monotonous!' ;)

12. The majority of my gang have red hair.... Not all by any means but I have a definate bias for red hair so it predominates among my lot. Bust some simply don't suit red hair, and/or have become established as blondes or brunettes (sometimes it was due tot eh colour of wig I had availabel in taht size when I got them, or the colour of the one that suited them best when I tried different styes on them) so that's what they are.

Lots of people ahve the same colour hair as each other so I don't think the majority of your boys having black hair should be a problem.

Teddy

13. hmm.. I got two boys with black hair as well, but i'm looking for a brown wig for one of them, cause I think that looks best on him. :)
      I've got a blonde girl, but could bevorehand never find the right wig, but the came with the right one :)
      And got a red/brown head, he got the wig from another doll, which i sold and i got one with dark red hair, so nothing monotone here..
      But it all depends on their character. What looks good, what doesn't and does it look good with his/her style and face-up ;)

14. I love variety. I love using lots and lots of different wigs on my dolls, though I'm pretty picky about the styles I'll put on my male dolls. I had a weird dream where my dolls all had blue eyes ... but that isn't true. I only chose the eyes for two of my dolls, but most of them have very different eyes. Only two have roughly the same shade of blue. The rest are all different from the others.

15. Personally, I like variety but that doesn't mean you have to. Some of my dolls have found their "look" with a certain wig but most are still chameleons, changing their wigs at my whim. I have a special fondness for mohair wigs & will often have a group of dolls wearing those while another group will wear synthetics. It's only recently that I've grouped the two types of wigs together in a display, thinking it would look strange but it actually doesn't.

While I'll usually try to mix up the colors, I currently have one group that are all wearing white wigs & they look pretty nice together. So if your dolls all want to be brunettes, there's no problem there.

16. I know with my group I go towards blond over any other color. It's my own natural color so it probably a bit bias there. It also happens most of the backgrounds of my dolls have northern european ancestry and thus lighter hair is more common in those regions. Although future doll plans there are some darker hair dolls planned, but as of right now it's typically blond and I like it. There are other colors I swap out from time to time, but that's just a once in awhile thing.

17. There are only so many natural colours out there, and companies tend to only make their wigs in certain shades, so that is limiting somewhat. I try to opt for variety when it comes to the dolls themselves. I'm going to try to not have two dolls with the same body, but who knows where this hobby will take me.

Though when it comes down to it, we all know how vastly different two of the same dolls can look, never mind two different dolls with the same colour wig. :)

18. Hear, hear! :XD:

I crave variety... not so much in hair or eyes, but in companies. I adore looking for sculpts from different artists and trying to picture them together. I'm very particular about proportions so the process generally takes a while for me.

I say do what ever makes you happy!

19. I like variety in companies, gender, height, hair and eyes. Without variety things can get really boring really quick.

20. Do whatever makes you happy.

But my dolls are each very diferent, in hair, eyes, and how they dress