1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you plan to bequeath your dolls when you pass?

Feb 8, 2020

1. If I were to die long before any of my friends, I plan for certain two friends to have mine, as they are in the hobby as well!
      If not and I have children and they happen to get into the hobby I would love them to have it. And if there's no one around to inherit them...I think I would just arrange them to be sold to those who would want them! I want them to be loved even if they decide to change the dolls from who they were, it could be like they're being reincarnated or something! ^^

2. At some point I'm going to make a file of all my dolls with detailed information (Sculpt, resin colour, year of production, mods, etc.) and their worth. My closest relative(s) can then choose to keep them as memory or sell them.

If by my old age I end up alone though (fun thought, but I don't plan on having kids and it's not crazy to think I could outlive my spouse and friends), I would sell them myself before it's too late.

3. Sick or not, planning for the inevitable future passing is important. My best friend died suddenly at 25, no one saw this coming. I always wished I had something of his, as he hadn't planned for where his stuff should go at all. Just last month, after 13 years of him being gone, I finally told his mom how I felt. She said she'd been holding onto a lot of his stuff just because she didn't know what else to do with it. She sent me some of his collectibles and honestly, it's like having a little piece of him back. It's really made me consider what to do with my own things for when my time comes. I don't want my family feeling obligated to hold onto a ton of stuff they don't want, and I don't want my friends left wishing they had some little memento of me.

I really only own dolls and gaming stuff and not much else, so it's not too hard to sort my stuff after my death. My husband is also a gamer, so he'd either keep my games to play himself, or he'd know exactly what they're worth and where to sell them.

I have all of the purchase records of my dolls tucked away in a folder with all of our important papers so it'll be easy to find what I paid and where the dolls came from. Their CoAs are in their boxes if they have them, and in a storage tote if they don't, all together in the closet in the spare bedroom. My husband gets first pick if he wants to keep one in memory of me, then my sister gets everything else. Luckily, she is also a BJD hobbyist, DoA member and active in the local doll community, so she knows what I own (or how to find out), the value and how to sell dolls. It will then be up to her to choose what to do with them--keep them, sell them, trade them, gift them to my closest friends and local doll group or send them to my long distance BJD role play partners. Whatever she feels is the best option. I'll be gone, so it won't really matter, but I know she'd definitely be sure they went somewhere appropriate and not throw them away or send them to Goodwill.

4. I like the idea of keeping a detailed record for dolls so whoever is left can sell them for their valued worth instead of dumping them off at the nearest thrift shop for hardly anything.

Do t know if it’s been mentioned but: Planning like this shouldn’t be for just death, it should also be for serious conditions like strokes or other serious debilitating health issues in case you have to go into permanent care, like a nursing home. I’ve had this happen to a relative. We tried to care for her ourselves and it just got too hard, physically and emotionally for everyone, and too expensive to hire home health. We eventually had to dismantled her entire life, what few things she has left I’ve held onto tightly but everything else is gone. It is heartbreaking.

As for my things.. I doubt my family or friends would want my dolls. My play dolls and all their accessories, I want them to go to children in need. I’ve always enjoyed giving away my dolls rather than selling. My kid can have Chloe and all her things if they want, so far my kid isn’t very sentimental but maybe if something has happened to me they will want something I cherished. If I have any other BJDs or other non-play dolls my kid can keep what they want and sell off everything else to get something cool. Other than dolls and their things, I’m not really a collector so I don’t have much stuff to go through so far.

5. I only have one offline friend in the hobby, but I have many online friends in it, including two I bought first dolls for. So after I'd found out what they wanted, I think I'd ask some of the people I've known in the community over the years if they had interest in whatever was left. Anything after that should be given away to newbies and hobbyists in good standing.

My family doesn't know enough about the dolls to profit from selling them online. I figure giving them to people who will enjoy them is the best final route.

6. In a similar vein, I've always said my first doll would stay with me forever. I've considered the idea of being cremated and putting my ashes in my doll and burying us both in a 1/3 coffin. *later discovery! Must have religious or ceremonial meanings*

If it's me that passes first, I know my dolls will be hoarded by my wife. If we go at the same time? I'd like some to go to friends, but at the same time, we'll all be in the same boat, getting older and wanting to downsize. Hopefully I'd have my own opportunity to downsize before a major health crisis. *knock on wood*

Nobody in my family would be interested otherwise.

Reading this thread I realize I need to make proper notes on everything we have. I'm really surprised I haven't done that yet. And I'm a pretty death positive person.

7. @celga yep! We're both working on making it as confusing as possible. Husband is looking at being buried in 18th century fashion lol.

@idrisfynn that would be amazing! I'm tempted to steal that idea lol

8. ohh I love this idea! :lol:

9. .

#29 Gintsumi, Feb 9, 2020
      Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
    10. As of now I'd probably leave them to my girlfriend to either keep or sell on. She'd keep the little hamster; not sure about others. I'm going to create a spreadsheet for them anyway so that if anyone had to deal with them, they'd know where to sell them and for how much. No one in my family really has a clue.

11. Other than one doll who goes to my housemate, all my dolls are going to my niece. She's the one who started me collecting, so she gets them to do with what she will. I have a spreadsheet of purchase information that she'll get as well, and she can keep what she wants and sell the rest. Since she's in the hobby as well, she'll know where to sell them to her best advantage.

12. I'm someone who deeply cares about the future and the uncertainties of life and, since my husband and I have decided not to have children, this matter is something that has made me worried for a while.
      I keep a detailed Word document of what my dolls are and what companies are they from plus all the items they have and what they cost to me, so my husband can sell them or do as he wishes with them if I suddenly pass away. My sister would probably like to keep my anthropomorphic dolls for herself.
      If that's not the case and I get to be an old and happy woman as I would prefer, I would probably sell what I can before being too sick or too old to handle it.

But I love this idea though xD

13. Well I’d like to think I’ll be relatively active in this hobby forever and would pass them on to a young person/people I was close with if I felt I was nearing my end. Unless my future kids get into them then they’d clearly go to them.

14. Why stop there? You could go full Victorian mourning doll and make a wig for your doll out of your own hair and and have the doll displayed in a glass coffin.

This would actually be really nice for dolls inspired by pets though. Put a bit of their ashes inside the doll and make a wig out if their fur. The whole idea sounds a bit like the start of a horror movie though. And yay Caitlin!

15. I would probably leave most of my dolls and supplies to my friend who got me into the hobby, and a bit to one of my other friends.

Voodoo doll!

16. To be honest I started this hobby when I was 18 and back then the conversation was all about resin aging and dolls turning beauty green, etc. I just had this notion that I would live to be 120 years old and that my dolls would turn to green dust by the time I was grown up. Now I'm looking over at some of my 10 year old dolls that are still gorgeous and thinking "oh.. right.. :wiggle"

(Please note that I'm currently facing this topic in a light-hearted joking manner, if you aren't open to this kind of input please skip ahead, I don't want to offend anyone!)

I must say I'm loving the idea of being cremated and put in a doll. My original plan was to do the 'turn your loved one into a diamond' thing so that I could -become- a family heirloom.. the uh, family jewels if you will! But this is definitely a contender. I would want to be cremated, put into a doll (like, a really gorgeous, knockout doll) then make my husband promise to keep that doll and care for it every day, until he eventually passes (assuming I pass earlier) then HE can be put into his own doll, then they can switch the hands out into those holding hands ones and we can be buried together in a teeny double coffin. :hug:

This begs a new spinoff question though.. If I was going to have my ashes put into a doll... which doll would it be?? My current dolls already have personalities, plus they are tiny. I don't feel like I could inhabit a tiny/unmature MSD, so maybe I would need to pick out a NEW doll for that purpose. SO... if you were going to be cremated and put in a doll.. what doll sculpt would you choose? Would you want it to look like you??

17. If I pass away now, I wish my dolls to go to my beloved ones.
      One for my partner, one for my best friend and one for my sister. They all like dolls too so they will be in good hands.

Later idk? Hope my kids will be doll crazy as well

18. Given our health and my family's longevity, I expect I'll outlive my spouse, so I won't be able to leave them to him. We also have no kids (by choice!), and I'm an only child. If his siblings end up having kids and any of them voice an interest, I may consider passing some of the dolls to them (or hell, at that point, their kids).

Otherwise, the bulk of them will probably be donated to local communities for auctioning/gifting, it doesn't actually matter all that much to me what happens. If they can bring someone else joy, if the hobby is still a thing (or they have that Neat Vintage Appeal), that's cool.

There's one doll in the collection that I want to take to the grave with me, ideally, a personal story character of mine - that boy and I will never be free of each other. However, given my final expectations are something like "died alone in a house with four cats and no one noticed for a month", I'm not getting too terribly invested in the idea.

19. You are funny. I enjoy reading your post. It is so true that 12 years ago, we were talking about dolls aging turning yellow green and now....sigh. My first BJD SD13 Isao is still young and beautiful. When I first opened his box, he told me he does not want to be sold again, he wants to stay with me till the very end, he assured me that he will live long after I pass. I do not have to worry about him because he will find his own way to his new home. He will attend my funeral. Sigh. Looks like I won’t be buried with him, he wants to live long after me. If I choose a doll to be buried with, it won’t be Isao and it won’t be the F38 because F38 Christian wants to be auctioned for charity. I originally planned to incinerate all resin dolls in my possession at time of my death or if the doll manufacturer will take them back, it’s better to return them to the maker - especially SD13 Isao Nanjou because he suffered badly at the hands of illegal recasts. One of my relatives want him, I don’t know why she picked Isao as her favourite doll amongst my many dolls. I am worried. I hope who so ever takes over Isao will not illegally recast him. This is why I think returning the dolls to Volks is a safe option but it does not appear like Isao wants to return to his maker. He wants to stay on in the family. “Trust” is a tricky word. I don’t want my dolls to end up in the wrong hands.

20. @ArouraAnn You are not the only one that wants to put their ashes inside a doll! Long story short, some mental health issues made me think about my death, so I decided that I wanted to be cremated and a canister of ashes put into one of my dolls (however much would fit--the ones that didn't I want spread out to sea). At the time it seemed like the decision needed to be made right away (yay obsessive thinking!), so I chose a doll I already own, my Volks Megu (F-01). The obsession passed, but I decided to make my Megu into a portrait of my younger self anyway. So now, she's my inner child!

I'm super into ancient Egypt, so I kind of want to buy a full-sized coffin or a large crate to put my portrait doll in, along with a small number of my very favorite dolls as kind of "ushabti" figures (to be servants/friends in the afterlife). I'd also like to do a little model house and model food and stuff, like an ancient Egyptian tomb in miniature. The dolls I don't have buried with me I would like to donate to a women's shelter or a social services office, so that a few children who might not have nice things can have one really nice, high-end doll.