1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you plan to bequeath your dolls when you pass?

Feb 8, 2020

1. I have been writing stuff down about last wishes for years. But haven't thought too much about the dolls yet, since I'm so new in this hobby. I'd give them to my husband, he can keep or sell any or all if he chooses. And make him a list of people to ask if they want a doll of mine.

2. Sure! Maybe a doll or two. I don’t have big plans though. After being an administrator of an estate, I know that it’s a major stressor to have a home full of stuff to get rid of and a new mortgage payment coming up that has to come out of the administrator’s pocket until the accounts can be released from the courts.

You can’t do anything with the deceased’s stuff/money until the court appoints you and that took over a month. Then, you have to pay all the bills first -including funeral which for some is in the multiple thousands. If there isn’t enough cash, you have to start selling things. Only then can you distribute anything and that’s if there is anything left over.

Add to this, everyone is grieving and all their emotions are amplified or shut down completely. Which means, they don’t act like themselves and will lash out at whoever they perceive to be in charge. They can challenge everything the administrator does including sue. So you have to do everything by the book.

Because of this, I’m not going to make too many requests unless I have a lot of money they can use. A lot of times people can only walk away because of all the personal financial costs and legal challenges.

3. So funny that I really thinked about this before.
      If I could find someone who love and could take care all my children, then I could give that person all of my collection as an inheritance, but if not, might be all the children should come back to Volks, where they are born as I believe they will have another begin by that way...

4. My family know about my dolls and know about how much they cost, but I need to make a document with pictures detailing what sculpts I have and what they're worth. My family would probably keep at least a few of them if something were to happen to me - I know my sisters each have favorites from my collection. I worry sometimes about the rest just getting sold as a bulk lot on eBay (with my rare ones like tan MNF Liria) or without their certificates, so they go for much less than they're worth. It would be nice to have another document for clothes, eyes, wigs, dollhouse accessories, etc. but that sounds like way too much work.

I'm young so hopefully this is all many many years away, but you can never be too prepared!

5. I have a will and supplemental doll document where I I list my dolls, their approximate value and my wishes for them, but this thread reminded me that it needs serious updating. Dolls have moved in and out and I've since made new friends who would appreciate them.

6. Precisely, I'm actually not sure if a will is helpful if it's too complicated like selling the dolls or sending them to different family members in Asia. My brother is a lawyer, I can see him ignoring my will and dumping all my dolls on eBay. If he can't get a lot of money out of them, he will throw them all away in the garbage. Assuming the dolls make it back to Singapore and Hong Kong where relatives will keep them, I cannot guarantee they will not be illegally reproduced. I feel very sad when I think of this.

I am in my 50s, just retired recently. Many of my friends and family members have passed away. I am alarmed as tempers fly during funerals and law suits. follow. The best scenario is to send my dolls to their new homes with my own hands. Reading this thread gives me some ideas. I can send some of them to other collectors whom I know will take care of the dolls, I can bury some with me, I can incinerate or if I am able to, I want to send them back to Volks because that's the safest place for them. SD13 Isao wants to stay on in the family after my death, and a family member living in Asia wants him. As for making a will, I will do that but there's no guarantee it will be executed after I'm gone.