1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you prefer Child or Adult Dolls? Why?

Feb 9, 2007

1. I have always prefered adult dolls, although it was a hard search at first to find a mature MSD in 2006 but there is so much choice now. However I ended up settling into SD dolls with Iplehouse and Soom, I love their mature bodies, theyre like life models to me, I want to draw them, make clothes for them. I have never had an interest in child like dolls.

2. Child dolls are androgynous, and can therefore wear both male and female clothing without issue. They also tend to look very harmless and non-realistic. Therefore, my first BJD was a child. I want an adult male BJD, but the one I want is a little intimidating, because it actually looks like an adult, and most dolls I've ever had were wide-eyed unrealistic kids. Ah well, I'll do my best to get over that!

3. I like to have mixture of both. My BJDs tend to be the childlike ones, whereas I started my dolly obsession with teenage fashion dolls.

4. I love adult dolls...I have a large antique doll collection, and most of those are female and either children or babies, so adult male BJD are especially appealing to me and that's what I collect..

5. I love both! They represent the 2 different spectrum to me. The older being mature, sexy and pretty while the younger one is cute and adorable. The child dolls are on general more fun to pose with too. That said put them together and its a nice set too!

6. I like teenage or older looking dolls. I tried a few child dolls and i couldn't get attached to them. I really like adult guys too. I haven't gotten the big Iplehouse guys, they seem a big too big... i couldn't get my hands around them. XD

I do have a blue fairy girl that i adopted recently and Kleis seems to stay... but I don't make stuff for her. I buy her vintage clothes from the doll shop. At the same time, I'd say she's at least 10. Too old to be allowed to be fussy and too young to have grown out of toys yet. <3

7. I prefer adults, because for me they're more fun to dress.

In my eyes, 'size' has very little to do with this question, though. I personally think Dollmore's Lusion dolls look like children in proportions, but they're 80 cm. I can't see myself 'misplacing' a Lusion....
      DreamHigh's Lulu is definitely an adult or at least adolescent doll, and she's about 10 cm. And there are more like her...

8. It's actually quite funny. I LOVE looking at adult dolls - like, in the gallery or on doll websites. I love coming up with concepts and ideas for big dolls, and most of my characters are adults who would therefore require adult-looking dolls. I also really like the size and how sturdy they are, having owned one for a short period of time and having played with a few others at meets.

However, it seems as if only child-like dolls stay with me. I used to own a few MSD's, but sold them and bought one Yo, then a second one, even though I swore up and down that I'd never go smaller than 35 cm. The choice of outfits are also going more and more childish - for my first tiny I tried desperately finding clothes that looked more grown up, but for my second one I can't seem to find a boy outfit with enough frill and lace. ^^ Ironically, I don't really go looking for photos of tinies that often.

I would LIKE to try owning a big adult doll properly, because I still think they're super gorgeous, and totally different from the cute little ones. (the big boy I owned kind of took his sweet time due to various factors and by the time I got him I pretty much packed him up and put him up for sale). I guess I like both kinds of dolls then, for different reasons.

9. I prefer an Adult Doll, since i'm a Young Adult myself... Hee hee hee! And i really got this sucky feeling that everything i would want has to be connected to "me". I just do. xD

10. I prefer the older looking dolls, and even though I have a Lusion doll because she is larger I tend to dress her in slightly more mature outfits. I do have a couple of anthro tinies and one MSD but even she is a more mature looking MSD.
      My dolls tend to have a particular style, and I'm not so much into sweet and frilly...which does tend to go better with childlike dolls.

11. Adult dolls, definitely. I don't really like kids (there's a few exceptions like my niece, e.g.) so I'm not into kid dolls, either. In fact, I don't even really like female dolls. There's quite some out there that made me go "whoa!" but not a single "must have".

Only exception is my little Cynical Baby girl - Cassie. But she doesn't exactly look cute and measured in sarcasm, she's around 30 years old ... *gg*

12. I think overall I definitely prefer teenage and adult dolls. The more mature, realistic look is probably what drew me to BJDs in the first place. There are certainly some childish dolls I like, but in many cases I am actually pretty creeped out by the traditional baby-faced doll look. :sweat

13. Definitely adult or at least teenage dolls. My only exceptions are an Oceanmoon tiny and a couple of pukis, but in character interp, they're also quite mature. Like Khell above, I'm not that much into children and babies in real life, so the doll forms don't appeal to me, and the more babyish the features, the less appealing they are. Which is why a LTF Shiwoo I have is quite possibly going on the block. As adorable as his face is, it's just too babyish!

14. it's not that prefer "child" to "adult" dolls. i just like that MSD's are smaller 'cause in my house i can't really have a massive doll sitting on my desk xD there isn't room for one and my mom isn't fond of them in the first place, plus i always have kids at my house and the gods forbid that one of them gets the idea to touch it xD at least with an msd i can lay her down and hide her on top of my desk and still have room for my other craps thats on here :P

15. Adult or teenage looking dolls for me, that's for sure. Simply because that's what fits my characters and also my own age.
      Dressing them is also more fun to me, as well as just handling dolls that size in general. I do, however, also have my favorite char's kids planned in doll form. So at one point I'm gonna surrender to the tinies.

16. I definitely prefer adult dolls...I find them more appealing, and they're better suited to the style of clothing and whatnot that I'd like to make for them. Not that I wouldn't want child dolls, I just prefer the more mature, adult sculpts.

17. I prefer adult dolls at first.

However, I change to prefer teenage dolls more :aheartbea
      They have the mood and characteristics I want...... :lol:

18. I have a mix of adult, child and teenage style dolls. All of my sd-sized dolls are adult and my msd-sized run the gamut from teen to adult. My tinies are all like little kids. And like you, I don't have any male dolls at present. I can't really say that I have a preference for any particular age range. There are things about all of them that appeal to me.

19. i just find myself drawn to bigger or "adult" dolls because of the proportion/size/likeness to my peers and myself, but i do so adore yosd, msd and the like. in fact, i'm currently saving for an MSD and hope that he'll be a little easier to store. XD my boys are enormous (for my tiny little room) and i think space becomes an issue after a while.

20. For me it just depends on what the doll looks like ^^ If I happen to find a younger looking doll or an older looking doll better then I'd buy it. For example, I have a Kid Delf (first doll) because he just looked perfect to me, and now I'm ordering a Senior Delf soon because, well, he's just beautiful *shrug* I guess I don't have a preference? ^^