1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you prefer closed mouth or opened mouth?

Feb 25, 2018

1. Same here. I don't really like teeth shown (except vampire fangs)

2. Usually closed but i've recently fallen in love with an open mouthed doll :love

3. I like closed mouth but if the sculpt was right open mouth would be best! I just like a neutral look for a variety of pictures

4. Depends on sculpt only. I can't say I have a preference.
      My dolls have closed mouths, but visible teeth, smile with teeth or without, slightly parted lips, mischief expression and so on are nice touch and makes dolls look more lively.
      But there is one sculpt with parted lips which disturbs me. I'm not able to put a finger on why exactly.

5. Both, I more go for the interesting expressions, whether the mouth is open or closed, currently, including dolls on order, I have 11 with closed mouths, 5 with teeth, and 3 with partially open mouths but no teeth showing.

6. Both! I have a few with open mouths, a few with closed- I try to keep it balanced, because so many open mouthed dolls, particularly those with just slightly gaped mouths, can start to look similar expression wise. Though, I suppose the same can be said for dolls with closed mouths. Now, I don't own any smiling dolls, though I wouldn't turn those down if they fit a character I needed to shell.

7. Definitely closed-mouth for me. I've never been terribly fond of open mouths, and big toothy grins are just plain disturbing to me. My favorite expression is a closed mouth with a very slight, subtle smile.

8. I mostly prefer closed mouths since the expression is more neutral. A slight part between the lips can be cute, but I feel like there are less poses that look natural. Little fangs that peek through though are something I like.

9. I definitely prefer closed mouth sculpts, but there are a few open mouth ones that I like. It's a requirement for me though, if the sculpt had a open mouth, it has to be only slightly with teeth.

10. Honestly depends on the sculpt, but I do think the ones with the removable tongue and teeth parts are so cute.

11. I prefer a closed mouth only because they tend to have a more neutral expression which seems to make it easier to try different styles of face-ups or in my case cosplays.

12. I prefer closed mouth sculpts with neutral expressions, most of the time. Open mouth/lips slightly parted sculpts tend to strike me as "vacant" looking, for some reason. I dunno, but it slightly creeps me out. I guess something about it falls into uncanny valley territory for me.

That said, I do have a weakness for vampire sculpts with the fangs showing, which usually means at least a slightly open mouth. But even then I don't like too strong of an expression like That One With The Tonuge (I know y'all must've seen him. I can't for the life of me remember which sculpt it is but Y'all Know The One)

13. I actually just answered this on two different youtube bjd tags! lol. It always depends on the sculpt itself, but for the most part closed mouths/resting/normal sculpts. The reason being is because with smiling faces and such, the expression has already been decided. With closed mouths/resting faces, you can choose the expression over and over again with the faceup you choose. That's how I feel, personally. :)

14. I've noticed that a lot of closed mouth doll have a very wide gap for painting and on some dolls its too wide and its honestly kinda unnerving. Though open mouths look very nice most of the time.

15. I don't think I've ever seen an open mouth doll I truly liked. It kind of bothers me, there are exceptions though. Slightly open mouths or sculpts with fangs don't really bother me, but the super exaggerated open mouth expressions just creep me out a bit. I'm not sure why :shudder

16. Closed mouths. Open mouths creep me out,,, most of the time at least. If it were a full smile, I wouldn't enjoy it. However if it looks really stylistically well done, maybe I'd consider buying it

17. I am somewhere in the middle. I prefer closed mouths on my dolls, but I find slightly parted lips (no teeth showing) are charming OR big smiles with cheerful teeth showing. I'm not a fan of tongues sticking out (on my dolls), fangs, or any of that sort.

18. I enjoy closed mouth better. A more neutral expression can let you imagine different moods for your doll. I really like a slight mischievous smile though.

19. I love sculpts with a mouth that is a little open. Some sculpts with teeth are so cute. However, all the sculpts I have now are with closed mouths. Lip shape and fullness(?) are more important to me. I So I rather look the sculpt and how the mouth fits to the whole “style”. But hopefully in the future I can add few dolls, with cute teeth showing, to my collection. :XD:

20. I prefer closed mouth sculpts, but I've seen some lovely sculpts with teeth. I don't know how to explain why faces with closed mouth are more variant to me.