1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you prefer closed mouth or opened mouth?

Feb 25, 2018

1. Closed mouth for me. The slightly open mouth kinda icks me out for some reason, and then if you're doing photos, they have the same expression in every one and it's hard to create different moods.

2. To me it depends on the sculpt.
      I really love exaggerated smiles and sculpts with visible (and particularly removable or pointy!) teeth but the slightly open "Wha?" look isn't something I personally like haha. I don't dislike it though so if I were making a dazed or daydreaming character I wouldn't mind it but solely on an aesthetic level it isn't my favorite. In general, unless the doll's teeth are visible, removable, or pointy/spiky, I tend to strongly prefer closed mouth sculpts.
      I think a large part of it for me is that I tend to choose sculpts based heavily on the doll's expression. I really like happy sculpts and it seems like you're less likely to find that with a slightly open mouth. When it comes to visible teeth though I think that, regardless of expression, the tiny details are absolutely fantastic and they always amaze me. The fact that someone could sculpt something so detailed and so small is just amazing and I love little details. So yeah, it depends haha.

(Funnily enough, about a year ago I would have said closed mouth sculpts without hesitation. I guess they've really grown on me)

3. Definitely close mouthed. Though I am starting to really want a Doll Leaves Hedy.

4. It really depends on the sculpt because some do look better with closed mouths and the other look better with open mouths, but generally I prefer closed mouths.

5. I usually prefer closed mouth, but some subtle smiles with teeth are cute. I'm really picky about most open mouths. It just doesn't feel natural to me to have my mouth open unless I'm eating or speaking, so it's a little odd for me to have a doll with its mouth open permanently and it really limits photo options.

6. It really depends on the expression on the sculpt. Subtle open-mouthed smile, a bit of teeth, mouth open wide on a vampire-fanged doll...I like those. What turns me off from an open-mouthed sculpt is the o-face (those unpleasantly suggestive ones :horror:) types. As for closed-mouth types: it's going to depend on how it fits what I'm looking for.

I'm open to both (and have both), as long as it fits what I'm specifically looking for!:kitty2

7. Closed mouth. I don't really like open mouth sculpts, there's just something unappealing about the look to me.

8. Personally I prefer the very slightly open look, on my doll it is possible to see the mouth as closed if you take the picture from the right angle. So you get the best of both worlds :)

9. Honestly, I tend to prefer closed mouths with most of mine. Exceptions are my Ai-Doll's who have the little "O" shaped mouth sculped and it's just so freaking sweet and cute.

(And I love dolls with super happy expressions like the PongPong sculpt from Fairyland. It's so darn cheerful! I'd love to have one of my own. XD)

10. I prefer closed mouth, I think opened mouth look scary.:eek:

11. Usually closed ones, with an exception: Pukifee PongPong, she's just too cute with that big smile!

12. I like both. But I prefer boys sculpts with closed mouth.

13. Couldn't have put it better than that. Most of my girls have (slightly) open mouths, some with teeth showing, some without. (Most of the times I paint them in, sometimes they're sculpted - more companies should make removable teeth pieces like Elfdoll did. <3)
      My boys have closed mouths, but I think most male sculpts have closed mouths by default ... Iple's latest EID, Ron, has a slightly open mouth and I LOVE him, but he's too big for my gang or he'd be coming home in a heartbeat. (Supia Jacob with his teefsies showing has been lurking on the wishlist for a while, though. LittleRebel Kai too, I only discovered him after his LE period had run out and he's a "nice to have", not a must-have main story one, so he needs to wait.)
      I'd love more open-mouthed / "toothy" male sculpts. I never thought of that as a reason, but that might be why I'm having less trouble finding girl sculpts I like. :huh?:

14. Open mouths are a pretty big turn-off most of the time :sweat I think it makes dolls look like mouth-breathers. Sometimes slightly parted lips can look delicate and demure, but even then I think I would only really go for an open mouth sculpt if it was an expressive variant head of a sculpt that had a closed mouth by default. I want to collect all of the different Unoa faceplates for my Sist for example, but I wouldn't want anything but the original plate to be her full-time face.

....Anything with parted lips and non-removable teeth parts is also a HUGE pain to try and paint :chibi

15. I think it depends on the sculpt, but personally, I prefer closed mouth.

16. It usually depends on the sculpt but I tend to like closed mouth better, so long as there's a slight smile. Teeth on dolls freak me out a little?

17. I would say that I prefer them if they have a slight open mouth a sculpts lips are one big sell point for me! Actually, have owned quite a bit of open mouth sculpts:drool

18. I like both. I own more open mouth than closed mouth but I like closed mouth as much as open one.

19. I love love love dolls with the slightly open mouthed, teeth just showing, look! I think my favorite examples are my Iplehouse Vito and Amy <3 it's not a buying criteria for me by any means, but I love finding out a sculpt I already liked also has teeth :whee:

20. I really prefer closed mouths, because it makes allows more options for shaping a dolls expression; however, I really love the slightly open mouth on Ringdoll Mona!