1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you prefer full set or blank ?

Feb 12, 2019

1. I generally like to buy dolls that fall somewhere in the middle. I'm not confident enough to give my dolls faceups currently, so I usually like to order them with the company one, and maybe body blushing if it's offered. Aside from that, a fullset doll doesn't have much appeal to me, as I like my dolls to be more unique in how I style them.
      Having it all predetermined takes the fun out of it for me! That being said, my first doll was a fullset I got secondhand, although she very rarely wears the clothes and wig she came with.

2. While the full sets are beautiful and it gives you a good start if you're just getting into the hobby (so you're not sitting there with a completely bare doll -not that there's anything wrong with that-), I prefer to not get full sets. I'd much rather buy the doll with the face-up and that's all. I'd buy the wig and clothes on my own.

3. I bought muy dolls only with faceup because I loved to look for the perfect clothes, wigs, eyes... But I don't feel capable of doing a proper faceup.

4. Depends.

if I love 100% everything about the Fullset, I might buy it. But if I’m not a huge fan of the outfit, shoes, etc. I probably won’t.

I do plan on buying most of my BJDs with face-ups however, I have no talent in that and I’m not afraid to admit it.

Personally, I’ve seen four fullsets I like, and only one I’m actually saving up to buy (everyone else is $750+, though they are SDs with very, very buetiful designs that most would lust after).

5. As an artist, I couldn’t ever see myself buying a full set. I only buy blanks: the whole thing about BJD’s for me is I love doing their faces, body blushing, eyes, creating the eyes, using pretty things like glitter and all the clothing you can make.... sometimes I will see a faceup on a doll and really like it and even contemplate buying it, but I just can’t! I enjoy doing my dolls faces too darn much. That’s what got me into BJD’s in the first place: faceups. I love how you can change a doll completely by just the right pastels and watercolor....

6. As someone with no artistic skill. I started out with full set dolls, only to send them to other homes. If I am drooling over the doll, its probs the face up that reeled me in. If the face up is gone or poor condition or I've got something else in mind, off to a face up artist they go. Sometimes I'll still buy a full set, but sell what I don't want.

7. I prefer fullset, comes with extra bits that can be used for other dolls if I wanna use that doll for something else

8. For me it depends on the fullset....I admire the craftmanship of the fullset but normally I like to purchase the doll+ the faceup offered. I feel if the fullset has taken my breath away and made me really fall for the character they designed then ill order the fullset as I cant imagine the character without it.

9. When looking at dolls I might be interested I have liked the full sets but as I want to collect BJDs as original characters of my own the full sets don't usually seem as if they would work for my planned doll idea.
      I can see how parts of a full set might be useful for a collector but I barely have any spare storage space so I need to use everything that I buy.
      But as a newbie in this hobby if I had begun a few years ago I probably would have bought the fullset with doll, clothing and faceup as I would not have an idea how to start and they would have spent months blank.

10. I'm currently only capable of extremely basic faceups, so if a doll I'm interested in has a compelling and more complicated design I will absolutely go for that. I had a....not-great experience ordering body blushing from the same company and it was pretty sub-par lol. For some reason I'm less afraid of trying body blushing and body details than the face, so I decided I'll be brave and do that on my dolls from now on :lol: I like to get creative too so I like the opportunity to make them new garments and give them their own special wigs, etc

11. I'd only get a full set if I was madly in love with the outfit and it would either be difficult or extra costly to get it separately, I'll get a factory faceup if I like it enough but I that's about it, I want my dolls to be unique and not to have a twin out there in every sense, they are also my characters and I've yet to find a full set that matches one perfectly.

12. I'd never get a full set even if I was in love, I'd be too worried to damage or lose any of the individual pieces that I'd never use the doll! Plus making my own character is very appealing :)

13. I'd have to love absolutely everything about the set to get it... So it's theoretically possible for me to get one but I haven't really been tempted yet - a lot of full set dolls are very beautiful to look at but there is at least one or two things about them that I just know I'd want to change... And in that case it's better to start with a blank :)

14. I was tempted to go for the full set for the first time when I saw Dora the deer girl from DC. But I ended up not getting her at all.

15. Blank or with face-up only for me.
      Full sets are often limited and expensive so I tend not to go for them. In general I tend to get "add ons" (special resin colors, face-up, clothes, wig, etc.) only if they are discounted or free :lol:

16. I prefer nude with face-up! Full sets are wasted on me because I'll never use them, yet I hoard them for provenance and because it's part of my doll's packaging (I'm one of those who leaves tags on their toys and figures in boxes). I spend more money just for having to buy more things I'll actually use. And as much as I love my dolls even without face-ups, I don't like to have them blank for long as it just takes away my play time. I've only ever struggled with bonding with one of my dolls--he arrived blank and none of the first few face-ups stuck. I prefer my creativity with a side of impatience, let's say!

17. I always go for blank because I have my own characters for all of my dolls! I like to customize them myself and the fullset kind of takes that away from me

18. Personally I prefer the blank. It leaves the most room for customization. The reason I love BJDs is that you can make them so specific and unique and change it up as much as you want. I don't know if I'll ever get a company faceup because I'd feel weird about wiping it. I might get a company face up for my BJD eye business I'm starting, but thats pretty much the only time I'd get it and it wouldn't be a doll I spend hours staring at and picking before buying like I do with my personals. Or if there was a major discount.

19. For me it really depends. There have been a couple of full sets I really loved and would have gotten had I had the funds because I actually liked everything about the doll. Most of the time what I find aesthetically pleasing in terms of faceups is pretty different from what most people find aesthetically pleasing so I just want the blank doll with all the clothes and stuff, especially when it comes to fantastical beings.

20. Really depends on the doll. If it's a special or limited doll, I want the full set, if it's a normal doll, I'll order blank!