1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you prefer full set or blank ?

Feb 12, 2019

1. I'm more into fullset actually, but I like so many dolls and sculpts which doesn't have one ... I'll definitively buy some of them, it's a sure thing!
      But, when you start in the hobby, I think it's more easy to have fullset to play with your dolls directly, I presume.

2. I prefer full sets. It’s so hard sometimes trying to find that right outfit or wig and then to try styling it all. Making sure it’ll look right. Then trying to find a good artist that’ll do it right. Exhausting.

3. It depends on the doll. I recently bought a fullset doll because she was available NOW, and I thought she was gorgeous. I am glad I did because I was going to wait for the preorder but that sold out in minutes and I would have gotten nothing. I would go for a fullset only if I loved everything about it. If it is an outfit I don't care much for and will never use I would just get them without but with a faceup if possible because I do prefer that over full blank.

4. I love blank doll because I do my doll faceup. But I would also go for clothing and shoes if they are something I want. Lately, limited quantity and time ordering period are killing me. LOL

5. I prefer blank dolls over full sets. Usually when I buy dolls, it's with the intent of shelling my OCs, so I already have a very particular way I want to style the doll that a company full set most likely isn't going to match.
      Plus, some full sets are so elaborate and gorgeous that I feel like if I had them, it would be a waste to not display the doll as intended with their factory wig, clothes, and accessories, or to wipe their faceup if I ever got bored of it... but at the same time I like to play around with my dolls and change up their looks, and not feel "bound" to just one thing.

Maybe one day if I ever have the money to spare and stumble upon the perfect full set that I absolutely adore, I'd splurge and keep the doll on display, as a more decorative piece versus my character dolls. For now, though, I'm happy with blank dolls!

6. I wouldn't ever get a fullset unless the oc would fit with the clothes. I want to avoid having dolls with the same body so sharing clothes is tricky. Plus the face up would need to be removed, and that would be annoying if I needed to dye them.

7. Ooh, this is a tough question. I think I generally prefer full sets. It's ridiculously hard for me sometimes to find a wig that I like and clothes that really match, plus I'm still rather new to the hobby so it's a bit of a relief to have things that should already fit my doll and look good (plus, I don't have to figure out shoes. Hooray!). Of course, there are always exceptions to this - I've got a couple dolls who have gorgeous face-ups or body mods that really struck me as unique and therefore I couldn't pass them up, but I definitely have more trouble getting clothes for them...

8. I prefer blanks. I don't think I have ever seen a full set that I would _really_ want to have. There has been always some part of it that feels a bit "meh" so I don't think it's worth it in my case :)

9. I prefer full sets, because I don't think my shaky hands and general lack of skill will let me do faceups. I am debating getting a blank doll and trying to find someone to commission to do a faceup and body blush. But I've never mailed off something like that which is a little scary, and not sure how hard it will be to find someone to do what I want. I've checked a few artists on etsy and insta, but the doll I'd want customized is anthro and I haven't seen anyone taking commission for anthros yet, and I'd like to see the work they do on the noses/mouth/paws/whatnot beforehand. This lack of options tempts me to try it, then I look at eyebrows and eyelashes on dolls I have and I remember... yeah no way I can do that LOL. So we'll see

10. Definitely blank!! For me the fun really lies in making it my own. Having a fullset for me would just mean stripping away everything I don't like and customizing it anyway - and because they are so precious to many people I usually don't do it because I would feel bad.

11. I'm definitely a blank kind of person! I have such a hard time bonding with fullsets and they're usually the dolls I do the least with. I think I just have a hard time putting my personal spin on an already "complete" doll as opposed to getting a blank canvas and working my way up with it.

12. As has been said, full sets can be absolutely beautiful, but so far I haven't seen one that I would be willing to pay the amount they are worth for. I think because the idea for the doll i want doesn't fit with the trends, and so even if I liked the sculpt I wouldn't gravitate to the outfit or vice-versa.

13. I usually go for blank, but there are certain full sets out there that are the reason I like that particular doll.

14. I sometimes prefer to buy fullsets, mostly because I love all the accessories the dolls come with. Rarely do my dolls actually ever wear their fullset outfits but I love taking pieces and parts of it. I never really see a downside to the fullset (outside the price) because then I don't need to rush to do the faceup, and the doll won't sit around naked while they wait for me to make them clothes. There's also some dolls that I just adore the company faceups for, like my fairyland Ingrid and Luha. I make custom wigs, clothes, and eyes for my dolls, as well as loving mods and doing face ups and body blushing myself but there's a certain point where I know I'm just too busy to do it all. I'm kinda in the mindset of, if I don't have to do it myself and I won't enjoy doing it, why not buy something I already love. I also have the benefit of I consider my dolls a heavy AU of my comic's universe so I prefer everyone wearing more casual clothes.

15. I prefer blank dolls, just because sewing for them is half the fun for me. Also, very few companies/artists do fullsets in my preferred aesthetics (historical or historically-inspired fantasy), so I've never seen the point of spending the extra money when it's not what I really want.

16. full sets are not worth for me because of the place i live also blank gives u a greater degree of custumazation and creativity, i am more of the type who would comision a faceup and clothes rather than buy from the company because i tend have my ideas come in to reality, not to mention i can take it on my own paste and buget

17. Ah I think it would really depend on the set, but I actually recently placed an order for a full set even though I don't care for the set. It was only because there was an event head for the full set that I really liked so I'm hoping someone will want the set, once it arrives!

18. Full sets can be really beautiful, but I definitely prefer to buy them blank, both for budget reasons and because they'll feel more unique when they're done. Fullsets feel a little bit like idk, like they have this whole character attached and it's cool, but I think I prefer to have my own unique thing!

19. I prefer blanks. I agree with the sentiment that fullset dolls have their own character attached already! Additionally, my personal aesthetic when it comes to faceups is a little bit different from most companies' faceup aesthetics (not knocking them, my taste is just weird lol) so I'm almost always commissioning custom faceups from independent artists anyway.

20. I do find full-sets to be pretty, but I prefer blank dolls. The dolls I get are for specific characters, and I find sculpts to fit them so any full-set does nothing for me. I would be spending extra for a face-up just to spend more to have it wiped. If I like the accessories they have on the full set, then I'll buy those separately or second-hand.