1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you prefer full set or blank ?

Feb 12, 2019

1. I think fullsets can be gorgeous, but unless one really lines up with my character plans... blank. I'd rather put together a wardrobe, find the right wig... With some of my dolls, I have ordered them with faceup-- sometimes the company faceup really fits what I want, even when a fullset wouldn't. But, I'm openminded to the idea that I could fall in love with a fullset doll, and either feel like every part of it was something I wanted for the character they were supposed to embody, or feel like every part of it would fit one of my dolls if I split outfit/shoes/jewelry/wig between some of them.

In fact, in my 'doll plans' word doc, when there's an outfit set that I like, I make note of which wardrobe pieces 'belong' to which character, or if it's just something I like that any of them could wear depending. Sometimes I think the whole outfit belongs together, but other times I can see a dress on one doll but the jewelry going to another, or a jacket that suits one but jeans that would go to someone else.

2. I always got blank because I like to customize. But lately I found three fullsets I absolutely loved. Though the 2 most recent I plan to swap out wigs and eyes.

3. I like full sets especially if they’re in a series so that if and when I can get a whole set, they would complete each other. Sadly to say that I’ll probably never get to complete a series but at least having a few dolls from the same series can make it that much closer.

4. Blank, the process of creating your own personal doll is beautiful. Although I do have a fullset doll, my Doll Chateau Larry who is a tiny little snail doll who I fell in love with because of the body paint and faceup.

5. I only own two fullset doll, which is my DC Charon and my Pipos Baby Cheshire Valentine but that's only because thw fullset was either very little difference in the case of Valentine or in Andromeda's caseq, checked all of the boxes I would have wanted for her if I'd purchased her blank. I did also buy some of my Doll Love Kaja Vish's fullset when I got him but that was mostly just to avoid having a bald naked dolly hanging around.
      As it was I'd made him a new wig within like the first week or so and I can't remember when he last wore his stock shirt or pants. About the only things that haven't been changed is the paint on his face and his underwear.
      All of my other dolls have been if not blank, wigged and/or clothed by me. Whether I've purchased or made these items myself varies by doll.

6. It depends on how badly you want the clothes (and the doll). I have always bought my dolls blank except for one--LittleFee Cygne as Little Witch fullset just looked so amazing, both clothes and doll. I know a lot of people prefer to customize their dolls to do something completely different so sometimes I feel a bit unoriginal for keeping her as a fullset, but honestly, she's amazing as is. I wish I could find more wispy raggedy clothes in that style; more medieval/fantasy stuff.

[​IMG]

7. Blank, you get to use your creativity to make your doll unique that way :)

8. I own two fullsets, my third doll came as a blank with faceup and the one I am ordering will be a blank (hybrid) with faceup.

IMO, a fullset is only worth it if you LOVE the outfit and can see it is worth the extra money (in the case of my first doll) or if the doll is second hand and you can't split it (in the case of my second doll).

Unless those conditions are met, I think I do prefer blank. An outfit that is "close enough" to your expectations will never satisfy you. Besides, even if you don't sew, nowadays there are so much talented artists to commission from for something that may be a better match.

9. I prefer fullsets, but they are so expensive. For blank, to get a faceup is really a long wait and the result may be not what you want.

10. I think that almost all companies are getting better and better at their make up so I'm choosing fullsets

#270 Concf, Aug 15, 2021
      Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    11. Fullset no doubt.
      I will only buy a blank doll if I really like it and only blank dolls are sold. I feel buying blank and customizing is way more expensive on the long run and I never really find the parts I really want. That said the faceup is what stresses me out the most. I can’t do it myself and I’ll never bound with something that I’ve made myself. The good artists are always so busy it’s also hard to commission anyone.
      I think with so much wait and search I’ll just end up giving up at some point.
      So far I’ve got 3 blank dolls and all of them were reeeelly not fun and it was a hard journey for me. I want to take a long break from blanks. I really admire people who like blanks and do all themselves, wish I could be more like that.

12. Blank, I usually make everything for my dolls so I usually also don't likd to even have a face-up, just all blank.

13. Depends. I don't have characters to shell so if I really like the outfit I will get it. If I really like the faceup and I think would be hard or too much trouble to give it a faceup (I can do faceups, but my style isn’t the same as other artists), I would probably get the faceup too. Souldoll and Angell Studio are the only companies I will currently consider getting a faceup from. Their artists are impeccable!

#273 Lynessa, Oct 2, 2021
      Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    14. Hmmm. I've only ever bought 2 fullsets. I've bought parts of fullsets, but other than my big girl (Trinity Klaire) and a tiny one (Tiny delf Kai, incubus) i haven't bought fulsets. I sold my small tiny delf and Trinity Klaire came as a fullset. Otherwise it's mostly a pick and choose thing.
      I have to admit that the ones i have now, none of them have company faces anymore. (Other than Trinity Klaire, but i don't have her physically yet) But i also get no real use out of blank dolls, so i often only get a blank doll if i know i have someone who can give them a face or with a face-up i really like. :) (Either custom or company made)

15. Present Me is very much into fullset dolls that fit my particular brand of aesthetics. I would love to fully customize a blank doll, but alas, I currently don't have the space and proper equipment to commit to the craft.:( So I stick to fullsets that I like to do most of the hard work for me, haha. I hope to get started on doing face-ups one day when the timing/space is right, and slowly work my way up into a fully customized doll of my own.

16. Fullsets or with a company faceup. Changing clothes, eyes and wigs is enough customizing for me!

17. Fullsets , I like the character as a whole. I appreciate the companies ideas and how it it presented.

18. Always blank for me. I wouldn’t be opposed to a fullset, but I have never come across one I liked enough to want to order it.

19. I've never bought a full set just because of the price. I would absolutely love to own an artist's full vision of the doll. Someday...

20. I always want to customize my dolls more but can't bring myself to wipe a faceup I haven't done myself so I want to avoid buying more fullsets. I also usually don't care for the outfits that come with fullsets so it's extra silly of me to buy them, but if it's a character doll, fullset is non negotiable!