1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you prefer full set or blank ?

Feb 12, 2019

1. I think I prefer full sets except in the case where the face-up does not appeal to me, and getting clothes with the doll is a plus! I do not like leaving dolls nude unless I am actively making an outfit, something about me I guess, lol. The face-up is generally the biggest yes or no for a doll for me, unless I really like the sculpt and would be willing to get something commissioned, that is the deciding factor as I am a very, very novice artist myself.

2. I think it depends? Some fullset have lovely clothes and face-up, and some I might not like it too much lol
      But most of the times I prefer blank!! :D

3. I will always go for fullsets if they are available. Sometimes because I just like the fullset as is, but also because I like having a set of clothes and face to work with immediately. Especially since the dolls I tend to like kind of have difficult proportions to find premade clothes for: its just nice to have at least one outfit that I know will fit them until I make or buy something else.

Same with default faceups- Unless I've got a really solid plan of what I want to do with their face straightaway, I'd just rather have a doll with a face, even if it isn't my favorite, until I feel I want to change it up so it isnt sitting around making me feel guilty for not getting it finished properly:sweat

4. I've found I haven't really had much interest in fullsets even if I think they're gorgeous, I think I'm more interested in compiling the dolls outfits and accessories myself. I do seriously consider getting company faceups when looking at dolls I'm interested in, especially 'cause they often look so nice. Although, so far I've only bought blank sculpts because I had a different idea for the faces in mind and the company faceups didn't quite fit~

5. I love the look of fullsets, but they're so spendy...sometimes it looks like it'll be worth the extra money, but I'd be terrified of doing any customizing at all if I spent that much. I guess for now my vote would be blank, it seems much easier to get started by having something I can do whatever I want with. But if I came across a fullset that felt exactly like 'me', creatively speaking, I'd probably go for it.

6. I prefer blanks, because I tend to fall in love with the sculpt and get ideas of how I want the face to look. I tend to want my own outfits, anyways. So no fullsets for me.

7. One existential crisis later (it's a long story) but I have come to the realization that while I LOVE when Dolls come with the OPTION of a Fullset to match the promo pictures- I have not and likely will not be buying any outside of the odd fantasy creature. I can definitely tell the difference between the boys I pieced together and the Kitsune I bought fully dressed, in that they are now 'characters' and he's just... a prop. An adorable prop, don't get me wrong, but oddly soul-less.

Unless we're talking about painted vs not painted, then I am Finished Faces All the Way. I have neither the time nor patience to paint lips or eyelashes, choosing a wig and eyes is a hassle enough thank you.

8. They are very expensive usually, so I'd go for full sets ONLY if I really, really love the outfit, and it matches the doll perfectly (or my idea of it). So, apart from those rare cases when it happens, I'd say blank dolls!

9. I prefer blank, as I'm more of a DIY'er and prefer to do my own faceup and make my own clothing. However, there are a select few dolls that I would be willing to shell out for the full set on, namely Charmdoll Circe.

10. Picking out/making clothes and finding a "style" for my dolls has been the most fun part of the hobby, so I prefer nude dolls. Fullsets also inflate the price a lot, so I'd probably feel bad not having it on display. I recently purchased a doll with her promo outfit though, so I'll see how I feel about that.
      However, company face-up is an absolute must for me as I currently don't have any interest in getting custom face-ups or working on them myself. It's one of the main selling points for me and I check out owner pictures of said face-up or the quality of the companies' other works whenever possible.

11. I don't do fullsets, but I will nine times out of ten get the faceup. I'm not as inspired as others when it comes to blank heads and I don't like having to wait and send out a head for a faceup. I'm not very good at faceups and while I know I could use the practice, I prefer to have something of professional quality straight away.

12. I'm not comfortable sending my doll heads away yet, so it full sets or bust for me

13. I much prefer blank dolls, since customizing them is the main draw of the hobby for me. 9/10 times the character I have in mind for a doll doesn't match what the company faceup/fullset is going for, so it's just easier (and cheaper!) to buy the doll blank.

14. Fullsets are very pretty but imho boring. Because everyone's fullset dolls will look the same. and it's the individuality of how people style them that's interesting to me.
      Besides I think fullsets will never look as good as the styled and photographed promo photos, so they will always be a bit of a disappointment.

15. So far, I haven't been interested in getting full sets at all (when that has been an option). I did get faceup and body blushing on my human doll, but I'm not 100% happy with his face (it's a little more done up than the promo pics were, which I wasn't anticipating. It still looks nice in person butttttt). My other 3 dolls have been some version of anthro, and I've gotten them blank and intend to send them out. I want my version of the characters brought to life xD

I did get the outfit for my Miracle Doll Dio, cause that was perfect for his character. But he also will have other clothing options when he finally comes in xD Customizing is the joy of the hobby for me!!

16. I prefer blank. I like to choose my own faceup and accessories. When I buy full sets I would usually sell all the accessories and redo all the faceup...:)

17. I prefer blank so I can get creative with my own character designs

18. Blank. If released only as a full set, they buy a full set, but in most cases they prefer to buy only the no faceup head.

19. Honestly I've yet to come across a full-set that I was immediately in love with, so if I had to choose between a fullest and blank, I'd probably go blank - but I like getting a company face up to start with so I don't have blank dolls sitting around since my faceup skills aren't where I want them to be yet.

20. I usually don't get fullsets, but I sometimes get the doll with a face-up if I don't have a clear idea of what the face should look like or think it'll be a while before it gets one. I have gotten a few over the years that were fulls. It can be nice to actually have something to put on the doll when it arrives; especially if you're doing a box opening at a meet up or a party.