1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you prefer full set or blank ?

Feb 12, 2019

1. I prefer blank, but once I bought a fullset made by a customiser and the doll is still perfect in my eyes. But otherwise I like to put their elements (faceup, clothes, etc) together myself.

2. As much as I love full sets unless its for like a pre-existing character like the Dollfie Miku or the Loongsoul Wei Wuxian I'd most likely go for a blank. I like making a new character or making it into one of my pre-existing characters

3. In the beginning, all I really looked at was blanks as they could be changed into anything you wanted. Blanks are certainly a lot of fun and I am stoked to try full customization but I think for some of my characters, I may lean away from it. I say this as I intend to learn more specifics about constructing a 'complete set' which certainly will take a lot of time and not to mention, material, tools, and safety precautions.
      So, I am far more tempted now a days than I was before to save up for full sets! (Especially after I get the basics things I need to practice with). I'd probably answer 'both', though, as it would come down to financial and creative intentions with a specific doll model or character.

4. It depends on the doll. Some fullsets are just amazing and I wouldn't want to change it at all! While other dolls I prefer come blank because you have plans for them or similar. I know recently none of the fullsets I looked at really spoke to me. Just a bit overpriced for something you might end up changing in the end anyways.

5. I am new to collecting and purchased my first Kaye Wigg Talyssa doll recently. I appreciated that she was a complete set as I’m not familiar with the different sites that are recommended for wigs, clothing,etc. I’m open to any help or recommendations to help create the look I envision for my new baby.

6. For me, a full-set isn't important but I'm not much of a fan of blank dolls either. A doll with a face up is perfect for me! :)

7. Most of the time I buy the fullset. I seem to fall in love with the whole oackage or look of them. I am not very creative coming up with styles or making my own. I did recently buy 2 with just their faceups but most of the pictures of them was just that. So, i loved how they looked "blank". I do have another one of those dolls so I knew how they "looked" and posed which helped.

8. Always full set

9. I'm pretty new to collecting, but I prefer blank dolls (or dolls which are blank aside from face-up). I like the idea of being able to create my own characters and in a lot of full-sets characters are already formed, and I'm not sure if I would feel comfortable re-customising the doll when the company already did it for me!

10. blanks are fun to work with (and they are cheaper), but full sets are nice too

11. Fullset is indeed very expensive and beautiful. I recommend fullset for limited dolls or just for collection purposes. If you want more freedom and creativity I recommend a blank doll. You can always choose your doll personality, appearance, and fashion. If you’ve plans and a character for your doll I recommend a blank one.

12. I prefer blank dolls! I don’t have any fullsets, and I doubt I’ll ever get one. I can’t justify the prices when I always have my own characters for dolls. There’s just something special in putting the style and everything together yourself; that’s the magic of these types of dolls! If I wanted something already done up and finished, I’d get a different type of doll or figure.

Only two heads have come to me with faceups (one from a previous owner and one with a limited edition faceup that fit my character), but every other doll I’ve gotten has been blank. Only downside is that it takes a while to get everything finished with them! :lol:

13. Usually blank, but I do have one fullset, a Dollmore Catish Rule the Cat World Red Reaa. It was love at first sight, and since I had the money at the time, I decided to splurge and get Bettie Page for myself.

I also have a near-fullset doll, Twyla, who is a Iplehouse Elder Noctarcana Circus Luna Tamer. I bought all of her parts separate, and tried to get as close to her fullset outfit as I could.

Ryu

14. I love the look of full sets, but I know it’d be a waste for me personally to buy them. I’d probably end up putting the doll in completely different clothes/eyes/wig to fit one of my existing characters, so all that expensive stuff would hardly be used. Not only that, but I feel strange about having a doll represent one of my characters if I didn’t paint him. My Ashford EVO, who I got with a faceup, is an exception because the company paint was just perfectly spot-on for the boy he’s meant to be. So I do love to see full sets, but I doubt I’ll ever get one.

15. I am a newbie to the hobby so I purchased the full set of Doll Chateau Evangeline, version B (I am still patiently waiting for her and hopefully she will arrive in February or March of 2020!) My reasoning being that I would like to see everything in my first unboxing, the sculpting, body blushing, face-ups, wigs, eyes, clothing etc. :XD: As I regard myself as a rather creative and artistic person, I may buy blank sculpts in future to fully experiment with face-ups and the creative aspects of the hobby! For now, I will patiently wait for February and March to come around, and from then on I may consider purchasing blanks!

16. I prefer fullsets for the look. I'd like having the wig, clothes, eyes, etc. right from the get-go. However I definitely do not like the expense. I also refuse to use anything like MSC for faceups (no cancer or respiratory problems for me, if you please), so I'm a bit nervous that I would ruin a doll with some sort of alternative sealant. I hate looking at blank dolls, personally. It's just hard for me to picture them as anything but how they are, even though I consider myself an artist. My Clara is the only doll I have at the moment, and I ordered her nude with a faceup. I then went through a really rough patch in life shortly after I got her, and so didn't have the time, money, energy, or happiness to make her anything. Seeing her sitting on the shelf with a ugly wig that always popped off her head and repurposed barbie clothes really discouraged me, so I just put her in her box and left her in my closet for a long time. It's only been recently that my life circumstances have improved and I've been happy enough to do anything with her, and I made her a wig and tights and got her better clothes. I'm a lot happier with how she looks now, and I'm more motivated to make doll clothes (though of course my 30-year-old sewing machine had to break now, so I need a replacement). Because of this experience, the two dolls that I have on the way are both fullsets. That way if I go through another funk I can still enjoy my dolls while I wait for the sun to come up again. I definitely prefer the price of the blank dolls, though, and if I could guarantee I'd be good at faceups and continue to have good life circumstances, I would probably order my dolls blank.

17. Almost always fullsets, or at least a doll with a faceup. The only time I tried a faceup myself, I ended up getting really sick from the MSC, so never again.

18. for most cases I prefer blank, since I always change their makeups and for a fullsets I have to remove the makeups first and I really don't like it.
      but for some special fullsets, if I really love the original look I will purchase the fullset

19. Mostly I prefer buying a full set but it highly depends on the company face up and the clothes. So far out of the 5 dolls that I currently own only 1 came as a full set:lol:

20. Blank because I like customizing but is hard to find sealant here now so I'm considering buying at last with face-up