1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you prefer full set or blank ?

Feb 12, 2019

1. I've got very specific ideas for the dolls I buy, so fullset is almost always just a waste of money for me. The face-up would get wiped, the outfit put in a drawer and forgotten about. Someone else would appreciate a fullset much more than I, so I buy my dolls blank.

2. Blank, definitely. If I don't make the doll my own in some way, I don't see a point in owning it.

3. I usually prefer blank. I’ve never kept any of my full sets.

4. I like both depending on my plans. Sometimes I really love the character as is, but if I am searching for a specific sculpt to fit my character I would get a blank doll. As for the price, till I do my own face ups and make my own clothes, I would still be spending quite a bit on either commissioning someone or buying all the accessories separately.

5. Definitely blank for me! I find great joy in customising my dolls in whatever way I can! :D

6. I really like company face-ups! I like customizing by picking out clothes and wigs and such, but I usually fall in love with the promotional images so I want the face to look like it does in the picture. At some point I'd like to try doing my own face-ups, but for now I like to buy the doll as is.

7. Depends for me! I tend to go for face ups already there (though full sets are only for clothing aesthetics that match mine), because I suck at face ups and my time to do them is limited.
      If I see a doll that I want to base off an OC, I will absolutely get blank and take the time to do it myself.
      Other times, I really like the face ups as is if it suits my aesthetic, and it takes away the time I have to spend on doing it.
      I really just like having my dolls ready to pose and play!

8. I personally got a full set for my first doll because I loved the face up and the clothes and the doll fit the character I had in mind for it. I am a bit scared of getting a blank doll because I know I wouldn't be able to do the face ups/ customization anytime soon since those are skills I will have to learn.

9. I gravitate to full sets. I don't know where to start with blank dolls and tend to spend more money than necessary when I try to find their styles. Full sets make it easier since the ones I have is perfect in my eyes!

10. Back when I started out in the hobby I loved full-sets, which is only understandable as you get everything you need all wrapped into one. As the years passed I started leaning more and more towards blank and nude, unless the full-set was something of use to me. These days I very rarely get the clothing with, I just order up a nude doll.

11. I love both, the fullsets draw me in, but if I like just one part of the aesthetic I'd go for blank and inspire my own character

12. I personally prefer to buy blank / nude.
      I enjoying starting from scratch and figuring out what my dolls style / overall look will be :)

13. I prefer full-set, but the doll really has to grab me! Maybe I'll change my mind later, but I'm not an artist and I'm not very interested in customizing a doll myself, so full-set is fine even if it's more expensive! To me, the outfit and other things a doll comes with can enhance their character even if I want to get them a new wardrobe.

14. For me it depends
      mostly on the budget-
      But also if it fits what I have in mind for the doll if I were to get them? cuz to me, i would prefer a unique charactor instead of a company made and mass saled one if you get what I mean? Since i avidly use my OCs i would definitely prefer a one of a kind instead. Tho haha sometimes I cant resist the temptation of those beauties haha
      while my budget is still a problem-

15. While I do like the idea of customizing a doll, I think my first doll is probably going to be a fullset. I'm planning on getting dolls for decoration anyway so why not just get something that already looks stylish (I'm really bad at coordinating outfits OTL). Fullset are more expensive, but you're going to buy wigs + clothes + shoes + etc. anyway, so might as well buy it all at once.
      but!!! I do like the idea of getting a fullset and then still buy new outfits for it to customize it in new ways!!!

16. I prefer blank. I like to start with a "clean slate" and customize the doll from there.

17. Blank. I never use the full sets I've ever bought and company face ups are more 'misses' than 'hits' in my experience. I may as well spend the money on accessories/BJD products I cannot make myself.

I want to make sure the company hasn't sent me a 'should-have-been-thrown-away' head as well.

My full set Dollzone Gray arrived with a company face up totally unlike the face up advertised and when I cleaned the head, I discovered it had a whiter cheek.
      They sent me a pair of trousers too short for the doll AND full of black dye that stuck to the resin. It took me ages to clean the doll to a sensible level and it still looks as if it has been bathed in dark smoke under the right lighting conditions.

So, yep, I spent a lot of money on a full set doll that was of lower quality than the bog standard blank. Since then, I prefer blank all the way...

18. I have only purchased blank, but it is kind of nice to at least have the faceup already in place. There are some sculpts that I have noticed I don’t prefer blank, but when I see them as a full set I really enjoy them!

19. I only have an almost full set - she was secondhand and parts of her original Soom dress were gone.

My second doll will be blank though, because I will need a different faceup to match her character design and because it does add a lot to the price otherwise.
      I'm tempted to get a full set for another one of my dolls, but I have doubts because I think... then she will look like every other full set with the same sculpt. Do you know what I mean? She won't be really unique unless I customize her. Maybe I'd buy her a different wig I'm not sure. However it's very nice to not have a naked/bald doll when she arrives, and I've never tried a face up so I have no idea how well that'd go, she could look bad D:

20. Fullset, but I haven't really bought any dolls in sets so take that with a grain of salt.

It just kind of feels off to me to separate the extras made-for the doll from it. Besides, I know the clothes will fit with no issues, or at least I hope.