1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you prefer full set or blank ?

Feb 12, 2019

1. It just depends, if I prefer the outfit or faceup, and if there’s a chance to make it better I would go for blank and often times it’s more affordable :celebrate

2. For me the fun is making my own face-up, wigs, and clothes - even if they don't look as fabulous as the sale pictures

3. I usually get a blank head and decide what faceup I want. Last year I received a doll with offical makeup. Gorgeous but not match my style. Feeling difficulty to take care him so i put him sale list.

4. As someone who is not artistic,
      I can fully say that I prefer the full-set.
      However, if I could draw and paint well,
      I would have rather do it myself but since I wasn't graced with the talent,
      I'll go for full-set when possible.

5. That really depends on the price and style of the doll, but generally I prefer blank ones as I feel they give a lot more creative freedom :)

6. Always blank for me. I only have one doll that even has the company faceup (she was secondhand); the other I have with full faceup, blushing, etc (from a promotion) I feel no connection to.

I love looking at fullsets, and even have a few full set style outfits, but I need to be able to do work on my dolls to feel connected to them and value them as part of my collection. Add to that, that the fullset styles generally don't fit what I want for any given doll, and they just aren't worth it to me. Everything gets ordered blank, bald, and bare here.

7. While full sets are super tempting because they're always so beautifully put together, I also feel like it limits my personal input on the doll? I purchase them to shape them into characters I think up myself, just getting the doll exactly as they sell it reminds me of going to the toy store and getting a bratz doll. They already have a name and a theme, if that makes sense?
      If all the pieces of the full set could be used for another doll I have, I would probably get it though.

8. I usually prefer going for blank dolls as I see faceups/blushing/that sort of thing as an important bonding activity, but sometimes the company defaults are too perfect to resist. More often than not, that company happens to be SOOM for me, I swear they are magical.

9. Usually blank dolls, all the dolls I am interested in I'm planning on getting blank so I can customize them myself. I got into the hobby because of the customization aspect, so that may have something to do with it

10. I like buying them blank! It gives me full customization options to what I like

11. I prefer blanks, because It is very interesting to make your own style doll.

12. Yes, it is...but totally agree with them being more expensive...I guess both have their advantages!

13. I don't have strong feelings ether way. It really depends on the doll and the set. I have a fullset doll on layaway now but all of my dolls have been ordered blank to suit shelling characters.

14. I got a full set for my first 1/3 girl. but since I start tailoring cloth for my girl, the 2nd I ordered official face-up + full body and wig. She will have her own cloth as I continue making them. :)

15. My personal preference really goes out to blank dolls; while there are a lot of fullsets that look absolutely beautiful, I don't think I could bond well with a doll that doesn't feel like 'my own' and is already finished.

16. It depends for me, if i think i can use the full set, then i will get it, otherwise no... if i can save some money somehow, then i will and depending on what it is, i can rely on the 2nd hand market for that too. as for face ups from the company, i like a more complete doll right away, so i would opt to get that part, but like my FL Erda, i got the whole fullset but changed my plans for him, so i sold off what i could (plus i had to pay off some layaways lol). but for my Erda minifee, i didnt see myself using the extra parts, so figure i would skip it.

if the outfit or something is a must have, i dont mind shelling out the extra, especially if it can be on layaway, but otherwise it all depends on what i have planned.

Edit: I would have to ship and reship the doll, so if a company is offering that face up, or body blushing, i would be more tempted to get them done by the company and wait a bit longer, than not.

17. I prefer to get a blank doll, for a lot of the reason other people have mentioned. I'm into the hobby for the customization, even if I'm a bit amateurish and the fullset on a doll might be gorgeous. I want my doll to really feel like it's mine and part of that is shaping their character either into something new or into a character I've already created. I'm not so sure I could bond with a doll with a company face and style, no matter how much I like them on the sale page.

18. I don't normally get fullsets, mostly because I don't normally get limited dolls - it takes me a long time to commit to buying a particular doll usually, so I avoid falling for limiteds in general, plus they're usually really expensive and even if I did buy a limited (which would probably be a version of a doll I already know I like) I might skip the wig and clothes and stuff to save money. The one exception is my Volks Alice I got at an NYC dolpa when I was much younger...I think Volks dolls and tinies would be my only exceptions to this rule.

On the other hand, I don't usually get dolls blank either. I tend to fall for dolls that have nice company faceups that would work for my characters in addition to liking the sculpt. (+ some of the companies like Iplehouse or Luts will do custom faceups anyway.) The only ones I've gotten blank so far have been my Dollfie Dream head, because I ordered the DDH-04 and DDIII body separately off of Volks USA to save money, and my incoming Zuzu Delf, because the anthro heads have a lot of personality anyway and I could probably get away with just blushing it.

19. for me it's always a full set that i fall in love with and end up buying, its harder for me to fall in love with a blank doll unless they have a very unique sculpt or if im trying to find one for a specific character i have in mind but even then i end up going for the dolls full set. on one hand its more expensive but on the other it also helps me build up doll wardrobes with things i wouldnt buy on their own like small accessories and so on

20. Even though the things in the set might not be my taste, I still prefer full-set, as I see it as a sign of "complete".
      In case order a doll without any set (as in Volks FCS), I still buy something to make him "have something to begin with", I know he should be shy when homecoming in the na*ed state. Sometime, I prepare some underwe*r and clothing for him myself for the welcome ceremony.
      I don't think I have enough skill to face-up my child myself, so I always welcome my child in a pre-painted state. A blank have might give you more freedom and creativity, but I believe it's not for me...