1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you prefer full set or blank ?

Feb 12, 2019

1. I think fullsets are very nice but I also feel like its hard for the doll to feel like its mine if I haven't customized it myself.
      I tend to buy blank dolls but if its a fullset of a character I like I think id still buy it

2. I prefer blank, both because it costs less, and because I really like knowing my BJD is different from all others of the sculpt. I have purchased a couple from artists that came with a faceup and outfit, though, I guess that's the same idea as a fullset?

3. It really depends on the company and their aesthetic. I’d have to really love their full set and it would have to fit the character i have in mind so i prefer blank dolls

4. Oh man, I prefer blank methinks. I don't mind company faceups and such, but I feel weird attaching myself to a doll's character that is not of my own creation!!

5. Mostly I fall in love with a doll, when I see their promotion photos. For this reason I like fullsets. :)
      That is, if they are still available...

6. The first doll I ever bought was a full-set because I wanted to have everything right there when I opened him. Almost all of my other dolls have been face up only because I did a face up once and simply didn't enjoy the process as much as I did making clothes for them. However, I have recently ordered two full-sets, one being my grail and the other being a doll based on my favorite anime so I really wanted the whole set.

#166 maykoh, Jul 15, 2020
      Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    7. I like fullsets a lot because I end distributing all the extra parts and pieces to different dolls. It’s funny because despite buying fullsets a lot, the doll it comes with almost NEVER uses what they come with. But others sure do!

I like having fullsets too because if I ever resell, I have some options with how to sell it too—with or without clothing, exclusive wig, etc.

8. I only ever order blank dolls for myself tbh. I was briefly considering getting a fullset Fairyland Pukifee Ena, but I only really wanted the clothes and wig, so I ended up doing a split with a friend, who by some miracle wanted the exact opposite items from what I wanted from the fullset, except they also wanted the wig, but we found a solution for that. I mean - how lucky is that? So now I have two blank pukifees coming in stead, and the fullset is also shipping to me and then I'll distribute the items.

I often really like the the clothes and items of fullsets, but then am not too keen on the doll, so... I guess it will always be splits for me.

9. I only get blanks. the real fun and most enjoyable part of this hobby for me is doing face ups, making wigs, learning to sew clothes for them etc.

10. I only have one full set currently that I was lucky enough to be able to find secondhand, but I would have to say I’m now starting to prefer blank dolls. I really like that I can take a character and shape it to what I’m inspired by when I see the sculpt rather than trying to build off the artist’s vision. I love full set dolls and I think the artist’s work is amazing, but I sometimes find it hard to come up with something to fit exactly what I see.

11. Used to always prefer blank and customizing, but the last five years RL has left and continues to leave, very little if any, time for dolls. So the last doll I bought and am waiting to open is a full set. ( MYOU BigBaby Sleeping Loretta)

12. I love full sets ! I feel like I always have the option of adding more items in the cute if I chose to.

13. I prefer blank dolls. I've seen a lot of beautiful full sets, but I prefer to customize the doll to my liking and buy them their own wigs, clothes, etc.

14. I like to buy the full sets so I still have the beautiful clothes. I still get customized wigs and clothes for them though.

15. I have only 2 reasons to buy a fullset:
      1. I really love the doll and outfit/shoes/accesories and I want it all.
      2. The doll is not offered blank (for example, limited Volks dolls).

One of my recent purchases is a mix of both reasons, hahaha.

16. Blank for me as the full sets are often more elaborate than I would like. I'm finding I like my dolls to be dressed in modern, casual clothing. I also like to dabble in face-ups.

17. Blank! But while I love the limitless customizeable feel of blank, it usually means they stay blank for a LONG time D: Maybe I should dive into full..

18. I prefer blank, or at most a doll with a company face-up. I like to have my dolls grow and develop into characters and slot in with other dolls I have, of course I realise I could do that with a full set doll but there is no way I'd be wiping an expensive fancy face-up, I'm too scared, and I think knowing how much extra it cost I would struggle just to convince myself to change the clothes. Plus most of the time the full set just doesn't work stylistically or thematically with what I have or plan to have going on. I'm not totally averse to buying a full set if it was styled in a way that really worked for me, or if the only way to get the doll was to get the full set (like with some fantasy style dolls).

19. For me it depends on the doll. You might look at one and envision a certain character or look at the full set and even though it is more expensive decide to buy it as is.

20. Blank dolls are muuuch more interesting. Like a blank sheet with which you can do whatever you want with your own hands. I have never bought a fullset. But I do not exclude that I will buy it one day, because sometimes very interesting examples come across.
      But to be honest, most often I don't want to spend money on a fullset, if I can do most of all things with my own hands.