1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you put underwear before clothes on your doll?

Jan 7, 2010

1. I'm so glad that I came upon this thread as I've been struggling with the "to undie or not to undie" dilemma myself.

My girl does not wear undies or a bra simply because I haven't made any for her yet. I currently have my boy in boxer-briefs, but I'm finding them to be very problematic. They're a little bulky under his tight khakis, there's a very visible panty-line happening, and they get stuck in his hip joints every time that I re-pose him. I only dress my dolls in light-colored repurposed human clothing that I've washed several times, so I'm not worried about staining. So I do believe that I will be ditching the underwear and using them only for instances or shoots where my dolls are sans outerwear.

2. I say that I prefer my bjd's wear underwear, just feels natural, I wouldn't not wear underwear myself, feel abit cool down there :aeyepop:and odd.

3. Well... to tell the truth Volks clothes are designed for wearing undies in mind so if you dont wear a bra your doll chest looks like front of your car after kissing a wall
      considering you wear protective undies you should put it on first because they are ment for that but pants you should be puted on last (considering you use skirt) because it's easy to put skirt on before than after especially if skirt dont have elastic belt
      if you use jeans its pointless to wear any other pannts besides protective ones of corse if jeans are designed ro wear on pants you may want to wear ones

4. It's strictly aesthetic for me. I have a couple that have leggings or bloomers with their skirts or dresses, some that are commando, and my big Connor - well, he wears a kilt, soooooo.....:XD:

5. I tend to make underwear to all my dolls :'D My girls have short skirts, so I think going as commando isn't very ladylike xD
      But if undies won't fit under their clothes - then no can do and they have to go commando :D

6. sometimes i do especially for male dolls

7. I put on undies...but lately I've been feeling like they need a bra too. Whenever I change their shirts, I just get the feeling that she's asking me for a bra!

8. If my dolls are wearing pants or shorts they are "free". My girls will have underwear on when wearing dresses and skirts. If they are wearing pjs, you've guessed it "free".

9. Yes, I do because it's just feel right? I keep underwear on them at all times anyway.

10. Yes! A lot of underwear made for BJDs is pretty cute, so why not?

11. Yes, i put it. All like people do)

12. If my girls are wearing dresses yes since i usually have them sitting people don't need to see down there lol.

13. No haha. Drugo has a big butt that's tough to fit into pants lol

14. Only under skirts, haha. I find that it doesn't matter much under pants or leggings, and it just creates bulk.

15. I personally feel like underwear is important, for my first and new doll my first thought is the bra and panties. But I'm also thinking of them as an OC, and what they would wear :sweat

16. No, I dun put underwear on my doll before I put clothes on them. The only doll which has underwear is my boy, I put the underwear on him when I want him to take photos with the underwear. All my girls' dresses and skirts are not very short, so I dun think my dolls need underwear.

17. If I'm putting dark clothes on them, I put body suits on. I dunno, just saves me hassle. All my boys have vests or t-shirts and underpants (boxers). I just like them to have underwear on. XD I know it's silly!

18. In my opinion, anybody wearing a skirt gets panties or bloomers. Pants wearers go commando. As for a kilt, well, that's not a skirt. "Nothing is worn under the kilt, you know. It's all in perfect working order!"

19. I don't think underwear is really necessary for maintenance or another practical reason (assuming you mean modern underwear; if you are worried about staining, tighty whities or panties aren't going to do it).

For staining, you should probably go for more of a body stocking (because staining has a greater chance of occurring at joints due to the rub of the fabric--you want something that covers the pelvis/thigh joint and probably the knee, maybe the ankle, for full-length pants, for example). Underwear will help a bit--don't get me wrong--but it's not the best.

As for aesthetic purposes, this isn't exactly the same, but I think it helps me feel more like an outfit is complete if the doll is also wearing underwear. Since I make all my doll clothes, I can ensure that the clothes fit over the underwear. I especially like if the underwear coordinates in some way.

Another reason underwear is important is for period clothing. A lot of historical styles (especially for women) are extremely dependent on foundation garments (underwear) for the correct silhouette (hoop skirts, corsets, etc.).

20. Unless they are wearing some sort of lingerie type outfit they don't usually wear underwear.