1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do You ReDress Often...or Leave Them Alone?

Nov 26, 2009

1. Someday everyone will have their own wardrobes of outfits that they can mix and match. For now, everyone has at least one outfit, my girls have a lot more because I like to make dresses. I'd like to get a lot more shoes for them to share.

2. I redress all of my dolls frequently. I don't have that many clothes to go around though, and only dress each in clothes that go along with their persona, so some get redressed more often if I have more of the right clothes. ^^ I love to redress them all. It's fun and it lets me check them over for stains, scratches, and such.

3. I don't redress at all. I've had my BBB Weylin since June 2008 and I haven't even finished his first outfit. He sits pantsless on my dresser :sweat My Lee Jun Ki is nekkid still in the box. I'm very picky about what I put on my doll not to mention poor so it takes quite a while. After doing all that work for the costume, why would I want to change it that quickly?

4. From what I've seen, I go about this hobby differently than most other people. I have a set goal in mind for each doll - one wig, one pair of eyes, and one "true" outfit. I might buy more clothes for a doll to wear until s/he receives said outfit, but I have no desire to change clothes or have a "wardrobe" for them.

To answer the OP question:

How long do YOU usually keep your dolls in a specific character or outfit?
      My dolls are based on OCs. Once a specific look is achieved, they stay that way.

To some that is probably boring, but going about the hobby that way makes me happy. :)

5. I only change their outfits occassionally. Some, like my Sard, only have one outfit that fits them...so their either in their outfit or nekkid lol
      I'm actually more likely to switch eyes and wigs than clothes

6. The costumed dolls keep their clothes on forever.

The others wearing casual clothes change with the seasons. I can't stand to see them wearing summer outfits in the winter!

7. My crew all have "default" wigs and eyes, so I rarely if ever change those... As for clothes, though, it varies a lot. Some of mine get redressed every week (or less-), while others stay in the same outfit for months. It just depends on the individual doll.

8. Randomly...
      Some, maybe every few months. Others haven't been changed for ages.
      Depends on:
      If I am going to a meetup...
      Which dolls I'm taking...
      What outfits I have.
      it's all VERY random.

9. My dolls never change their eyes once they've settled, but I do swap around the hairstyles - usually they're just variations in the same colour. [Blonde, red, etc.]

I only change their clothes when I'm bringing them out, or when I just feel like it. Which can be after months.

10. Well, since I made a vow to make most of my boys' clothes, at the moment all they have is pieces of an outfit (I have one doll now, the other is on the way) but taking the time to sit and handsew them all takes me a while. Still, I try to make stuff that I think they would wear and that matches, so I can mix and match as I get better :)

As for eyes and wigs (I already have them XD), I dont plan on changing them at all, unless a story developes with their character that demands it.

11. Mine mostly change their clothes right before I'm going to a con or a meetup, except for a few who act as my fitting guides when I make new stuff. It's funny because I have ridiculous amounts of clothes made up at any given time, and you'd think I'd change them more often. :sweat

As for wigs and eyes, it really depends on the doll. My dedicated cosplay/chara dolls (like my Squall Leonhart) almost never change clothes, and certainly not wigs/eyes. My OC dolls sometimes like to change it up and get a new wig, but I only change the eyes when they model a cosplay for fun (like wearing contacts!). There are a few who haven't settled into a character, and those ones I will swap out until the doll's personality "clicks" for me. But once that happens, I'm unlikely to change them.

12. Since my boy only has one outfit, he's been wearing that for a month or so now.

As soon as he has more clothes though, I'll likely change his clothes every week or so when it looks like he needs a wardrobe change. ^^ I think I'd like to keep changing his clothes since it'll get me to make more clothes for him and he won't always look the same.

13. I redress my dolls on a fairly regular basis, the boys less than the girls though. They always stay as the same character regardless of what they're wearing. I figure we change our clothes so why not the dolls? I often change wigs & eyes as well as I enjoy creating new looks for them.

Some dolls stay in the same clothes for a long time as they simply look so good in them but eventually I'll tire of the look & it's off to explore the trunks. And some have definite styles that I'll stick to but most are chameleons wearing street clothes one time then fantasy then gowns. What ever catches my eye at the monent.

14. I leave them alone mostly but that's probably because they don't have that many clothes to change into.

15. well, at the moment all of my dolls have at least one outfit, some have two, so I don't redress that much, cause i don't have much to redress them with but I've ordered some clothes and i'm making more myself. So maybe it'll come again :)

16. I pretty much leave them alone, it's very rarely I change the clothes/look of the doll. If I happen to change the clothes, it's usually because I find something better to suit the doll.

17. I try to remember to change his clothes at least once a month if not more, it'll be easier when alot of the clothes I've ordered have come in. In regards to wigs, I have set plans for what the character will look like, but maybe a few styles of wigs as if the character were wearing a wig or dying their hair. I know my girl needs a pink wig too, for fun and maybe a few more. I'd like them to have alot of clothes when I can find the right outfits in their styles and I've made some pants and am working on sewing more clothes. When I get my bigger boy I want him to cosplay Sephiroth, so that'll be an interesting change.

18. Same for me. I love to see them with different clothes, it's really fun.
      I take out all the stuff I have (not many) and then I try to choose matching clothes, depends of the weather, or of the mood of the day.

19. So the questions are: How long do YOU usually keep your dolls in a specific character or outfit?

Their characters are their characters and don't change--they don't cosplay.

Do you dress in a character or favorite outfit and leave them alone...next to forever? or..
      Do you change outfits OFTEN, but at the same time retaining the character? (keeping within the 'persona' you have chosen for your doll when selecting new outfits)

They dress the way their characters would dress, and their characters are permanent. How often I change their clothes depends on the individual. Some don't care much about clothes, some don't have as large a wardrobe, etc. I do try and dress them seasonally, however. The girls tend to get their clothes changed more often than the guys.

20. Mine are character dolls so their eyes and wigs never really change. The one exception to that is Moswen. he recently got a new wig which was more in keeping with the mental image I had for him than the first wig I bought him. I've also made a test wig and it'll end up being his and completely, hideously gaudy to go with part of his tradition special occasion robes. Even so, I won't change his wig for more than the odd photoshoot.

They usually stay in the same outfits that fit their personalities/traditional dress. Kijika only has 3 outfits so he's limited anyway, but I have quite a bit of MSD outfits I've made. The one that seems to get changed most is Kys, but his character is a clothes horse, so that fits his personality.