1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you remove your doll's faceup/blushing before selling?

Jul 19, 2017

1. I much prefer buying dolls with faceups. I'm not very picky as to how they look and it makes my life so much easier, since it's a hassle to ship them off to an artist. If it has little bits of paint left in the lips or nose that look hard to clean, that's even more of a pain and I may not buy. I wouldn't remove a faceup before selling.

2. I would leave a default faceup on a doll, especially if it is a limited. But if the doll has a faceup I commissioned specifically for my character, I would wipe it before I sold it. I have never sold a BJD who is a major character of mine, though! I love them too much.

However... I am very grateful that the previous owners of some of my dolls didn't wipe their unique faceups! That's what really made me want to purchase some of my dolls. :aheartbea

Linda S.
      galatia9

3. I wouldn't remove default faceup, but I would definitely remove what's painted by me if it was the part of the character. I mean... I sell the blank 'base' but never the character it used to be at mine. Though, if I'm not very used to the doll I may try to sell it as is. But my faceups are still far from perfect and sometimes selling blank heads is more efficient. xD

4. So my question is if most of you try to clean up old paint jobs or just sell as is?

I've never actually sold an on-topic doll. For my off-topic dolls I just kept the faceup and sold the dolls as-is. If someone had requested, I would have removed it. It didn't seem worth the effort if someone was willing to do the work for me.

In these cases, however, I was losing the character as well as the doll. Perhaps if I sold an old shell of a character I intended to keep, I would wipe the faceup before selling.

Does it put you off buying a doll if you have to clean it up yourself, if you intend to do something else?

It's moderately off-putting, but not a dealbreaker. I've cleaned off plenty of dolls, and I've bought a doll pre-faceupped and blushed/tattooed, and it's not that they're done poorly, just they don't work for me.

I don't like the hassle of removing painting (and worrying it's stained underneath), but I'll do it for the right price. In certain cases, I'm actually willing to pay a couple dollars more here or there to get a doll that's blank.

Or if the paint job catches your eye does that make the doll more desirable?

Faceupps/blushing/tattoos often catch my eye, but I've never seen any that's for me. I like admiring them in other people's dolls, but not my own. So no, it doesn't make the doll more desirable.

The faceup and body blushing/tattoos are very specific to me and my concept of the character shelled by that doll. I have no desire to be nit-picky enough to get what I want from a professional faceup artist, so why would I find something that works in an already-faceupped or painted doll?

5. I would rather buy a doll with a face up as I do not do them myself and I would not have to send them out just after recieving them to get one.
      But if the face up was not of high quality or had damage I would not buy it. I would pay extra for a doll that came with a good face up.

6. If it's chipped a lot or otherwise damaged. If it's whole, I tend to leave it, not charge extra for it being there, but offer to remove it before sale for a small extra fee. Someone might like the faceup I have done and be glad they don't have to do one, or even if they mean to remove it themselves it can help them see how the sculpt has potential to look.

7. I usually prefer default make-ups. However, I would buy the ones without faceups if 1. the custom face-up is not my taste, 2. the doll is without face-up is considerably cheaper and is in mint condition.

8. I usually prefer default make-up. However, I would rather have a face-up on the doll instead of a blank face. I am not sure how to do a face-up and I would hate to send it off and panic that I wouldn't get it back. Not having a face-up on the doll may actually cause me not to buy the doll with as I said fear that the head wouldn't be returned.

9. Unless the buyer asked me to do it, I wouldn' t wipe it( unless it is damaged or done very poorly) If I bought a doll/doll head with a face up I' d expect to get it just as it looked in the seller photos. But yeah that' s just how I' d handle it!

10. It really depends; typically I leave the faceup since I enjoy receiving dolls with faceups if they are done well so that I can enjoy it right away! I would wipe it for the buyer if they requested that, however.

11. Nah, can't be bothered with that, unless it was really bad but then all the dolls i've sold have had fairly decent company face-ups so it hasn't mattered.

12. I'll put it up with a faceup but like a $5-$10 removal fee.

13. Depends on the faceup. If it was something quick and not very good, I wipe it. If it's nice or done by someone else or company, I keep it and let the buyer decide if they want it wiped. Sometimes when buying, I tell them to leave the faceup. Even though I enjoy customizing my own dolls, I might like the faceup in person. Sometimes I leave it and add to it.

14. If I were to have a company faceup on my doll, or an artist faceup on a doll, I would leave the faceup. I wouldn't sell it for more because of the faceup though. But I always wipe my own amateur faceups.

15. I always sell my dolls with the face up on them, it adds that little umph towards the sales post (im my opinion of course).. i have a really bad time imagining things at least in my own opinion i do, so i always look at whats on it already... it doesnt mean i wouldnt change it afterwards perhaps, but i do think about including that in my own buying price.

all the face ups on my dolls are either from the company, or an artist that is well known, i wouldnt wipe them as i dont have the proper materials anymore either to properly do it.

if the head is blank and im interested in the sculpt, i'll search them up on Instagram to see what they look like from various artists or owners that have them tagged. i wont not buy just because it doesnt have a face up, its just easier for me. thats also why i generally pay extra when i order a doll to get them to put a face on them. plus i can be impatient.