1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you save up or purchase a doll because its cheap?

Oct 23, 2011

1. Admittedly, I have bought dolls for the price (I think most of my dolls, actually), but it wasn't simply because of the price - I wanted them. When I saw them I didn't think "GOOD PRICE, I BUY NOW!" - I either wanted them, had to have them, or I didn't. If I don't have to have him/her (that is, if I don't think I would regret passing them up) then I won't buy them. Others, I take my time - if I end up constantly checking the thread to see if the doll sold, price dropped, seller said anything new about the doll, then I know. It's a feeling in my gut. And I go for it.... when I have the money.

Of course, I did have a complete impulse buy once purely for the price - one of my floating heads, which gave me a bit of trouble since I got her, but we've sorted things out now. C:

My wishlist is a wishy-washy thing any way. I add dolls, I take others off - my tastes change sometimes (though I've got it down to basics, pretty much). Recently, I have been changing it a lot. I can save and save and save, but in the end, I might take half the dolls off my wishlist anyway. Some of the dolls on my wishlist are just wishes - I wish I could have them, but I probably never will. On the other hand, a few of them, I really want. And I'll get them when I get them. No rush.

2. It's horrible, but sometimes I just can't pass up a good deal on a doll. I've been lucky though and most all of the ones that have found their way to me are keepers, but I wish I had better self-control!

3. I just got my first doll. She should be here early December!
      I've been wanting one since 5th-6th grade.
      But, I've always been pretty poor.
      I got a "cheap" doll, but I had to save up!
      I did not settle for her, either.
      I thought long and hard about this!
      $300 was a lot of money for me!
      Especially since I am not in college, and have three kitties to care for!
      c:

4. save up? who needs to save up when there is LAYAWAY OPTION 8D
      xD

but seriously, my wishlist change constantly so I don't have everything all planned out on who to buy in what order. I have money; ok, who do I like right now?
      in a way I guess I save up, but if I spot a really good offer on the MP for another doll than the one I ''planned'' then I will most likely go for the good offer. just because it will probably not happen again.
      HOWEVER, if I see the good offer but the doll I have been planning for the past few weeks is a LIMITED, I will go for the limted ^_^ the limited will always be a better price directly from the site than on the secondhand market lol AND I may have a really hard time finding it on the MP at all!!!

5. B.) do you save up for that specific doll on your wishlist

But, in fairness, I do tend to prioritise my wishlist by price. So, for example, I'm buying myself an NS Sard from Soom instead of searching for secondhand Beryl hooves, because I can get a full doll from Soom versus part of a doll secondhand. It's just a better deal, in my opinion (and it doesn't hurt that, since Soom have started re-releasing dolls here and there, I might one day be able to get everything on my wishlist from them directly, instead of secondhand).

6. unfortunately, I haven't seen any low price doll I liked. First, I m in SD field, - which already add up money to price (how many tiny dolls I would buy with those money? An army!), second, I buy dolls when I really like them. May be I don't like the price of some of them that much, but it still better than purchase a doll for less and regret

7. I almost always tend to go for specific dolls, although I have made a couple of "impulse buys" because I happened to cross paths with a doll that I both liked the look of and could afford to just buy outright. That's how I ended up with both Hanaki, my little Ko-Tenshi Tsubaki, and the Archivist, my second Amakusa.

I have no regrets about either of them. Even though they were very off-the-cuff purchases, they were good choices. I guess I know my own tastes well enough at this point that the chances of disaster are minimal. XD

8. Only option B. :)

9. Well generally I don't save up for a doll just because it's good price. Sometimes I happen to find a really cheap doll that I also happen to really like,who's sculpt I haven't seen before, which then I add it to my wish list and eventually buy :)

10. If i like a doll i'll just get it..im terrible at saving up..always give up after a few weeks.

but there's one i really like now but its really way above my budget =(, so probalby will attempt have to save up.

11. I have a job, so I don't really have to save up for dolls. (It's not a great paying job, but I always have a decent amount left after rent/bills/other necessities.) I try to keep my bank balance at a certain level before I buy a doll, though. If there's a doll I want that isn't on sale and isn't expected to sell out, I wait until I'm comfortable spending money before I buy it. However, if there's a sale/event going on, I'll buy the doll right away regardless of my bank account balance. Like with the Ariadoll Double Box event - I hadn't planned on buying more dolls until this summer, but since I'd planned to get a couple of Ariadoll bodies eventually anyway, I went ahead and ordered them. I'll probably take advantage of the Napidoll sale too, since I want Napidoll heads for the Ariadoll bodies. Anyway, I guess my answer is a combination of A/B/C. I wouldn't buy a doll I don't like just because it's cheap, though. I have too many dolls as is, so buying one for the sake of buying one would be a bit ridiculous.

12. OHHHH Thats a toughy! I love Luts Dolls. LOVE LOVE LOVE! All But one of the dolls on my wishlist are Luts. The one thats not is a 43 cm Bobobie.

A) I do love when they doll i want has a special available. 2 heads, extra hands, maybe extra feet. Yeah the price is higher, but look at what you get! I like for my dolls to have different looks. So if i can get the regular head plus, say, a sleeping head thats awesome. Because chances are i would be buying that sleeping head later on anyway if its available seperatly. And you cant go wrong with different hands! Ohh and if your into supernatural stuff some dolls have a themed head avaiable. Like my Luts Lu-Wen limited was Only available as a special because of its seperate Vampire head. They did a holloween run when he first came out and started offfering vampire editions of other dolls. So I am all for saving up that extra $100 for the doll special.

B) Yes. I cruz around alot and i do find other dolls i like alot. But i wait for that doll that sticks with me. That one that i cant stop thinking about. That i look at it and i just Know. Thats Him/Her. Thats the one. They have to be part of my doll family! Sometimes they fit into the story i created around my dolls, sometimes they dont and i have to rewrite the story. But its just a feeling. Sometimes their REALLY reasonable priced sometimes i wanna gouge out my own eyes their soo expensive. but no matter what i will find a way to raise the money for them.

c) I am guilty of this. I do rearrange my wishlist to cheapest first. and once i did buy a doll because i saw it and just WANTED it. wanted it so bad i didnt even think about it. i just bought it. and there is a bobobie i want for the same reason.

13. I hold out for what I really want. If I saw a deal on the MP for a doll I already wanted, then I'd certainly try to go for it. But I don't go looking for deals on dolls. I generally prefer to buy directly from the company anyways. Event extras and LE features add to the appeal and may make me buy now rather than later, but in the end for me it's not about the price, it's about how much I want that particular doll. It's always going to be about falling in love with that particular sculpt for me. If I'm not in love, it doesn't matter the price. Getting a good deal on a doll I'm not totally into is still a waste of money. I'm starting to feel this way about BJD clothes, eyes, wigs, and accessories, too. Compromising on what I want because of price leads to boxes full of stuff that I'm not as happy with as I could be :sweat.

14. A bit of both, B and C.

- I don't have a fix wishlist, but if I see a doll that I really like and fits my character, then I do safe up!

- I've had a time, when I bought dolls compulsively, mostly because they had a good price. Custom House events for example. But the most of them I sold away cause I couldn't bond. The saving option doesn't apply for Limited Editions, so it's possible that I rush and buy. Happily now most companies offer layaway ghgh

15. It's a bit of both. There are too many dolls out there for "good deal" alone to be a factor. On the other hand, if I were to stick to hunting for just one secondhand mold, I could be searching for months! So instead, I narrow down the wishlist to a handful I would love to own, and hunt for those. The first on that short list to show up for a good price is the one that gets to come home.

16. I don't really let price deter me. I buy dolls because I like the sculpt so if that means waiting a bit for something I truly want I wait, I hate settling. And if the sculpt I happen to like is cheap then yay for my bank account.

17. A bit of both, I guess. Honestly, I have to save up just to purchase a "cheap" doll in this hobby XD but my wishlist has a varied price range, so I'm buying the cheapest dolls first in the hopes that I'll have a regular income by the time I get to the more expensive ones.
      So I am limited by my price range, but I'm not getting a doll BECAUSE it's cheap. If I didn't want any of the dolls that are on the affordable side, I just wouldn't get one until I could. $150 is still expensive enough that it'd be a waste to spend it on a doll I don't like.

(and as for A, I totally wait for events to purchase dolls XD it seems like a waste not to wait until you can get a discount or free stuff!)

18. I have a real problem with buying random cheap dolls because they're cheap, and every time I do I end up disappointed and the doll gets sold at a loss later on. D: I have two cheap dolls right now that don't like (one in particular I absolutely hate) but I seriously doubt I could even sell them unless I cut the price in half or something because the they're from a company that's super cheap and has a ton of dealers everywhere so there's no benefit to getting one secondhand. At least I can be sure this is the last time I'll waste my money on crappy dolls I don't even like D:<

The positive side of looking for cheap dolls is that you can find good dolls for a much lower price second hand on the marketplace! I love bargain hunting and it's exciting to find a doll you really want for a great price. You can get it even lower if it's damaged and you're willing to fix it (which I love doing anyways) I think it's always a good idea to look for a doll you want secondhand before you get a new one. (if nothing else just to get it quicker and not have to pay $80 for shipping!)

19. I'm going by looks and feeling.
      The three I have on my wishlist all instantly made me like them the moment I spotted them, tempting me to buy them RIGHT AWAY.
      I have resisted yet, because I didn't want to spend that much money all at once, but one of the three is currently on sale and I'll definitly go for him next week, since my salery should be on my account then.

So unless a doll gives me that feeling those three gave me, i doubt I'm going to leap at another one that easily.
      That and I've decided to restrict myself to 1/4 size dolls, so I'm 'save' from the bigger ones.
      (I was allowed to hold the bigger types and they just don't click with me... unfortunately. There are real beauties and amazing accessoirs that don't exist in the smaller scale (yet) amont them.)

20. I've honestly been so tempted to purchase a couple of tiny dolls because they are just way too cute, but than I remember the ones I really love and that I should be saving for those instead. They are more expensive but it's so tempting when a good deal (like less than -$150) comes along!! I have to try and build up a family so I don't really need 5 tinies... I just want them. Lol ^_^