1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you save up or purchase a doll because its cheap?

Oct 23, 2011

1. If I'm going to buy a doll, it's because of the doll, not because of the price. I have to either really like a sculpt, or, as in the case of Dollfie Dreams, the doll has to be a character I'm into. I'm also more into having the individual dolls that I like, rather than a large collection. It doesn't help that all the dolls I like are expensive - I think the next BJD I get will be one of the big Iplehouse girls!

2. it comes with an extra doll/doll parts as part of a manufacturers special
      or do you save up for that specific doll on your wishlist
      do you buy it because its a really good price even though you have dolls on your wishlist

I buy the dolls I like, not those that are cheap just to have a doll. I have to wait longer but at least I have something out of it. But if I would like to practice working with resin such as modding I'd rather buy a cheap doll, of course. ^^

3. I'm definitely going with choice B. I saved up for my special doll, and now I'm saving for another doll. I don't impulse buy anything--I always wait an extra day or even a week or two before I think of spending money. I've learned the hard way that it's far better to have a few special things than a whole horde of them. I can appreciate what I have far better that way! :)

4. I did get my tiny one because I got a 20%off,and it was really out of my plan that I need to made up that she would grow one per 5 years so that she won't be get older than those 1/3 I get later...
      but she's really cute with cat paws and ears and i'ant regert of that even we got a creepy beginning..

5. I would rather save up and buy or put on layaway than buy a cheaper doll that I never intended unless it was a character I had already planned. But Its more that I try to save up and plan rather than just buy a cheaper doll to fill the I want a dollie craving.

6. I rather save up and get the doll I want but times have been so bad I really get what I want when I can XD.
      Thankfully a lot of people offer layaway which works perfect for me.

:)

7. It just depends about the situations. Because there is some of the dolls what you can't get anymore from their website because they are sold out, so that's why I'm usually looking for them from the market places thta if someone decide to sell his/her doll(s), then I could maybe buy it, if it some which I like~

8. NO WAY. If it is cheap then that doesn't stop me from buying it LOL!

9. unfortunately I have to say B.
      "unfortunately" because I don't have money but I always like the most expensive dolls :( sometimes when I see cheap dolls I'm tempted to buy them but then I think that they're not what I really want so I wait...and save...and wait :P

10. I don't make decisions based on price either. I wish I could, but the dolls I like never go on sale. Though, there are times I will buy a limited doll instead of the ones on my list if it's a good fit for me.

11. A.)it comes with an extra doll/doll parts as part of a manufacturers special or
      I've never tried it, but if we said the doll came with a event head, that was perfect for a character I might do it, but most of my characters are already planned, so I don't see it happen.

B.) do you save up for that specific doll on your wishlist
      I don't really save up. I use layaway and spontaneously buy stuff I find. I should really start planning my spending better!

C.) do you buy it because its a really good price even though you have dolls on your wishlist
      I have bought a doll on my wish list, when I found it for a nice price. I didn't buy it because it was cheap, I would have bought it anyway someday, but I happened to buy them, because I could afford it at the given time.

12. I usually only stick with the doll I had on my wishlist. I don't think it's a good idea to buy a doll that it's cheap but I'm not craving for.. I know I'm not going to attach to them when I receive them as much as the doll I've been wishing for so long..

13. I used to buy a lot because they were cheap but now I save for the ones I really want. I would buy on impulse and end up selling most of the dolls,now that I save for dolls I really want I find myself keeping them because I really love them.

Linda From Wisconsin

14. Both my dolls were impluse buy... not because of the molds, but because of the price. My boy was complete impluse, I figured someone would beat me to him. It took some time and a couple of faceups for me to bond with him. My girl was purchased 2 years later and while still an impluse, I researched her a bit more (though those boobs surprised me, damn you AoD) and I got a good deal on her as well.

Right now I'm trying to save up for a particular doll but these other "good deals" keep tempting me :)

15. I save up. Better to buy an expensive doll that you really want then buying a cheap doll and get tired of it in less then a year.

16. I am well over the period of 'new to dolls' and impulse buying, every once in a while I come up to a mold that is just perfect for a character I wanted to dollify, and then save up for it no matter how expensive

17. I've been looking at male dolls for a while now since i want to make male doll clothing also. So now, when i noticed HappyHouse has an event going on for AOD dolls with the gift head offer, i sort of went and had an impulse buy.

I am quite picky about the looks of the doll and about the price, so if the looks are good and the price is good, i dont feel like i've made a bad choice. I did brood over which doll I should choose for about a week, but then decided to go for it.

I think that when they offer gifts along with the doll, it's a bit easier to decide to go for it and buy a doll. I wouldn't have ordered a new doll so soon if it weren't for the event offer. So it works for them.

18. I buy dolls when they are cheap.

More precisely, I buy dolls that appeal to me when they drop below the standard market rate. For example, a fullset blushed Chalco for around USD800? Cheap! Version 1 Volks Chris for under USD600, and local? Cheap! So I guess I try to go for value-for-money whenever possible when looking out for sculpts I enjoy. ^_^

I don't have a wishlist per se, just a general idea of what dolls I would probably like to own if a good deal came up. X3 If there are event items that coincide with a particular doll that I want, I'll take them, of course. And sell them to cover shipping. X3

19. I go exactly with the above - I try to be an opportunist :XD: I know the dolls I want, so I will try to get them at a good price either on the MP or wait for the company to hold an event. I find this is a good way to curb my impulse buying, having to wait a bit for the doll to pop up on the MP or a reply to a WTB or for a company event helps me decide if I *really* want to go ahead with the project I had in mind!!

Saving up isn't really an issue for me as I have a savings account that can be robbed where necessary :whee:

20. My first doll I bought because she was cheap, but from now on I'm only buying dolls that I have a designated plan for, since having her arrive without a clear idea of her character made it very difficult to bond. Most likely, that will mean I will have to save up, since most of my plans involve larger/more expensive dolls.