1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you take along your dolls on holiday?

Jun 8, 2014

1. Bringing (in my case) a 800 usd dolls outside?

No, ty.

2. Yesssss. Brought one of mine to Canada and it was great. Please do! :).

3. I'd say it depends on your girl! If she's a limited that can't be replaced, then nope. If she's large...then probably not, because the point of a vacation is to have fun, not to be constantly worrying and fiddling with an oversize doll. But if she's a tiny or a mini, then go for it! They're easy to carry and fun to photograph in new and interesting locations. :thumbup

Just...don't leave her sitting on a park bench somewhere because you got distracted by something shiny. :XD:

4. I'm bringing both my SD Liam and my YOSD Ludo back home to Michigan for my winter holiday. They'll both be flying with me, I'm likely going to pack securely in my carry-on and have my tiny be my personal item and just carry her in my hands. I;m not concerned at all about it.

5. I have taken dolls on vacation from trips to Disney World to camping trips with lots of hiking. They have been to East to West from Florida to across Canada. I never regretted taking a doll on vacation, but I would be careful in a city, especially if crowded.

6. I always bring a doll or two with me when I travel. It's fun to be able to take pictures of them while on a trip. Many of my trips are to see my parents so I don't mind bringing a couple of big guys with me because I know they're safe at my parents' house. On trips where we're staying in hotels, I bring a smaller doll that I can keep with me at all times. My Harucasting Adori went with me to Chicago and Philadelphia last summer.

7. Yes!

Well...yes, depending. If your doll is extremely rare/valuable or has a lot of easily damaged or lost parts, then no. It's not much fun to constantly be checking to be fantasy parts aren't damaged or full set pieces or accessories haven't fallen off somewhere or taking ages to set up for a photoshoot.

But if your doll is more of a "hands on" type doll than display piece, sure! I'd say dress them as casually as you can, don't take accessories or props that could get lost, maybe only take one doll who is easy to carry. They do get heavy! It also helps if you have a safe place to leave them if you don't feel like taking them everywhere every day, like a family member or friend's home, or the safe box in a hotel.

I have taken dolls to the mountains, to the beach, big cities,camping, to visit friends and more. Usually, I only take one, but a couple of times I took about 20 to visit a friend in the hobby. It was fun at her house, but the transport was not fun at all, and I kinda don't recommend it!

8. I've taken one 62cm boy on a number of trips and his size never bothered me. I just hang my camera case diagonally so it rests in front of my left hip and have him sit on it, then crook my arm around him. That way the strap/my shoulder takes the weight, not the arm-muscles. But most of the places we go aren't crowded. I don't think I'd try to take photos of a doll in some place like NYC, just because I'd expect either other people to get in my way or vice versa.

9. I don't usually; I've taken them to Disney and Dragoncon before, but both of those are in driving distance of me. I just don't think I'd have the time to play with them properly.

I'm debating taking my Dollfie Dream with me when we go to Japan in a few years because she's light and won't need as much padding as one of my resin Volks babies...but considering I might be buying a Dollfie Dream there (and possibly a Smartdoll, and Azone, and something from Mandrake...) they might take up too much space.

10. I was going to take my 1/8 girl with me and my husband when we went away this year but I got to worried about her getting damaged or lost >.<
      I would love to take her out places for photos but also a bit worried / nervous about other people's reactions which is a shame because there are some lovely places that would make for great pictures.

11. I really want to take one of my boys( definitely not my most cherished boys) out on my next trip for some nice photo shooting. But taking a big boy out is really troublesome. :doh

12. Honestly I can't afford to go abroad, so road trips and hotels are my way of a break, but I definitely would take Lumina with me! I couldn't leave her for a few days

13. I have always thought "NO", but now there's been talking with me and my man and we have made a decision that I will apply for a five-month exchange in Austria for spring 2021 (and I'd love to go no since in no other phase of your life does government pay you to travel and study a language lol). In my faculty basically anyone who applies gets to go. My man has a business and he wants to come with me to work from home there.

We would rent our apartment to some friend for that time, so my dolls could not stay here. Now I have a few so obviously most of them will still be packed away and put to storage, but I thought I could bring with me one lady that I have bonding and character issues with, if she's still with me then. I've never taken my current dolls outdoors, but I don't like her too pink colour anyway and would love if she yellowed a little. After that trip we'll surely be closer if we are ever meant to be. Even losing or accidentally damaging her wouldn't make me so sad, since she is the only doll that is unlimited edition and in that matter she is "only money" to me, although that money too was taken from something else. She is a SD size so surely I will still not carry her around the city much, but I'm sure I'll learn something about the experience.

14. Actually, the furthest trip I've taken since I moved out on my own was specifically to a bjd convention, so it was only right that he tagged along... Never mind that I specifically bought him when I did so he could attend in the first place, haha.

We have a trip overseas planned for the end of this coming February and I've already decided that my little bitty Dream Valley Loxy will be going on an adventure as well, safely tucked away in his box in my "personal item" bag to keep from being bashed around or, worse yet, lost.

... Now to just get around to finishing him before the trip.

15. If im going to a convention, or a holiday where i will meet other doll owners -- there is no other option than to bring them.

If i am going on a holiday and i dont know if there will be other doll owners, or i am travelling a lot, or just that i wouldnt have time or space, then they would stay home. I went to Japan for 3 weeks a couple years ago, and had not much space there and NO space coming back, like i dont even know if there was air in there.. hah... I didnt bring mikami or any of my others i had as im sure i would have damaged him in some way as even my backpack was jampacked.

Last con i went to, i brought my Yosd and my SD65... that was the first time i travelled with a tiny. what a difference weight and space wise... but i wouldnt leave my main guy home if i can help it.
      I was also able to bring my boy to the CN Tower for photos.. did that with friends and then him to make good memories, love the way the photos turned out.

16. I've often thought of doing so, but it just seems like a lot of extra trouble. It was hard enough hauling my luggage around cities and airports and trains. Doing that with a somewhat delicate and very important possession that takes up a lot of room just seemed awful. I'd also have a hard time enjoying the city I was in if I had to constantly be worrying about this doll or setting him up for photos. Plus, he's so small that I'm not sure a photo in a different city would look particularly different from one in my own. I admire people who do, though. It's cool to see other people's pictures and I imagine it would be easier in different circumstances.

17. Hm, never thought of doing that actually! My only bjd is a mini so it's not hard to bring her along, but she was super expensive as a limited secondhand so the thought scares me, don't think I should :< it could be awesome to photograph her in new locations, like the beach for example, but I'd worry way too much about anything happening to her! So no I don't think I could.

18. I think the only time I would travel with my dolls is to take them to conventions or meet-ups, or like on a day trip where we could go out and return safely home that night, otherwise I think I would worry about them! As for longer or international trips, I think I would have to have a plan already in place about when I would take them out and where. And they'd have to be encased in something that would for sure not let them get damaged! I know they're not chocolate Santas, but I'd worry about them being crushed all the same. So, in other words, yes for short trips and usually no for longer trips!

19. I haven't yet. I'm not even comfortable taking any of them outside at the moment. I'd like to travel with one someday, but for now it just feels like too much of a risk given how valuable dolls are.

20. I take them almost everywhere - to work, historical reenactments, science fiction conventions, holidays, visiting friends and family...

I took two of them to San Franciscoon my honeymoon, although I only took pictures of them in the Japanese Tea Gardens in Golden Gate Park, and at the base of a redwood in Muir Woods:
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

Teddy