1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you take your dolls out ?

Mar 12, 2017

1. People who can show off their dolls are very brave. Aside from posing a little in my backyard, I immediately try to hide them if I spot a neighbor who might be peeking lol.

2. I take them out on my own property for photography or sometimes I take the smaller ones to a friend's house who has smaller off topic dolls and have mini (haha) playdates. But I'm way too paranoid to take them anywhere really public. They fall constantly and I would be so sad if one fell and broke something on pavement or some other hard surface, but also just the idea of a stranger commenting on them gets my anxiety going.

3. I'm a little worried about sunlight too. :C So i understand. Resin yellowing is a little worrysome. Millie hasn't been out much, but I just found a meet up near me and she'll be coming with me. I hope you can find a friend and meet up soon. :D

Same I'm a little worried about pavement and falling too. :nowords: :/ But I'll be getting some kind of bag to keep my dolls in, and sewing up some cushion pillows that I'll make into a small padded container too for them to be in. :XD: I am planning on creating a comic to sell with my BJD characters story, so having the actual dolls at my convention booth is an important thing for me. But the transport is a pinch. Also figuring out how to secure them, so people don't walk off with my two girls! :o

I'm sure you'll get braver. Don't be ashamed! I was too, and my friends think I'm a tad bit weird. Hehe. But I don't care much anymore about what people think because i've always walked to the tune of my own drummer. A good way to explain them to nosey neighbors, is to say they are artisan dolls, and that they are special to you. If you craft for them, explain that as well and say it's pushed you to become a more insightful person. Good luck with becoming brave and believing in yourself. <3

#143 All-Star-Airie18, May 23, 2018
      Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2018
    4. Thank you, maybe in the future, I do make some simple clothes for them and that's the part I LOVE the most. One of these days my mom is bound to find out when she visits me and I didn't put them away, I'll be brave then... and tell her they're my precious collectibles.

5. hehe. there are great tutorials on here too. I've had experience in sewing so I will be crafting for my girls and eventual boys. XD I wish I could show you my insta but I can't advertise on here. :/

7. I take my dolls out because they help me calm down when I am in public. :) But of course then you get some stories to tell of really difficult dolls, *stares at one of my* who loooove to cause trouble in public.

8. I don’t take my dolls out. I invested way too much money in them to risk them in the wilds of the outdoors. This would change if I ever got like super serious about photography and wanted a shift from indoor set ups to outdoor ones but that’s not the case.
      Taking one or two out to doll meets is fine but I’ve no desire at the moment to pose one of my girls on or near a tree or anywhere like that.

9. Ive taken my dolls out for photos but I did it when I only had my SD boy and I was overcome with the fear of being judged, though i still took him out and took some nice photos in the end :>

10. I bring at least one to work-- usually the one who gets to guinea-pig whatever craft experiment I'm currently working on, or the one closest to my mental state.

I like to pet a doll in my lap when I drive; it helps keep compulsory habits like picking and nail biting at bay if I can run my fingers through their hair or fidget a joint or something.

I carry one into the store when I fall prey to retail therapy but I can't afford to spend anything, so I can take pictures instead, and literally they block me from picking up purchases. Or when I don't quite have spoons for shopping but I need groceries. They sit in my cart.

I once walked into a thrift store with Carrie in my arms and the last of lunch in my hand and mouth, and the person behind me commented "You got your dollie and your cookie; you're all set!". (It was naan bread, and I was stuffing my face bc food wasn't allowed in store, but basically they were right. :) )

11. I love the idea of taking a doll out and about, but to be honest I don't think I'd ever do it. I'm super anxious and wouldn't be able to enjoy myself because I'd be too paranoid I might ruin their face up, or chip or break something. I also tend to be kind of forgetful when I put things down. My friends sometimes have to remind me to pick up stuff before we leave, so I'd be constantly terrified I might lose my doll.

Hats off to the people who do take theirs out, though! I always thought it looked like fun to take dolls or stores or restaurants.

12. I'd like to revive this thread as I'm curious to see whether sentiments have changed.

I have a few dolls (tinies) who rotate out in accompanying me on outings. Sometimes I refer to them as "purse dolls." I find it comforting to have one of them on me, and I love taking impromptu pictures of them.

13. My Raspberry comes out with me pretty often. The only time I don't take her on vacation with me is when I know I'll be too busy to do anything fun with her the entire time. Do you all ever stuff 7 days of activities into a weekend so you don't have to use PTO? :P

I take a comb, face protector, and the cushion she arrived in and keep her in my purse (or my doll bag if it's a tiny purse outfit) when she's not in my arms. I'm not super concerned about people judging me. People are going to judge you with or without the doll. No use letting other people's opinions get in the way of your fun. I'm not a great photographer, but I do like sending Snapchats of my doll and I to friends and family.

14. I have taken dolls out to meetups in the past, but I find it kind of stressful. My dolls are all big and heavy, and I don't like having them around food or dirt, nor do I like touching them unless I just washed my hands which gets complicated at restaurants or outdoors.

I have found doll bags with sponges and towels ready to go helps. I also tend to prefer meetups at someone's home, so I can just set my BJDs in some designated spot and not worry about them getting food on them or falling over.

15. I once took a doll with me to my local forest to take pictures. Wasn’t the best idea. I think it’s easier if your doll is smaller. I currently only have sd sized dolls and as we all know they are kind of heavy not really that great to carry for longer trips

16. I hate being the center of attention, so the idea of walking outside with my dolls makes me uncomfortable. I wouldn't mind taking them out to, say, a park, and taking pictures, but I'd never take them out to a restaurant or anything.

17. I have never taken a doll out of the house except one time when I took a doll in my car to show a friend who also collects dolls. I am too afraid of them getting damaged. For me, they are too expensive to take a risk.
      I don't really have the need to show them off to anyone. A few of my friends and one family member have seen my dolls in my house, and that's enough exposure for me.

18. I take mine to meetups and outside to photograph. I'll also take one to the fabric/craft store if I'm looking for inspiration for that particular doll. Those folks are usually happy to see them, and I've never had negative comments.

19. I really want to- but I've got some serious anxiety. :'[ its such a bummer bc there's this really pretty park less than a block from where I live that would be a great backdrop for photos

20. I used to take out some of my off-topic dolls, either to parks for photos, or just in my bag, but with BJD even the mere idea of taking them outside sort of stresses me out.

I absolutely love doll photography though, so I do really want to bring my dolls out and get used to it...it's just all the possible things that could go wrong that always make me second guess, and it feels like any mishaps would be so much more major, I guess because of how much more BJDs cost compared to the off-topic dolls I used to have. If I accidentally damage them in a way I can't fix on my own, they're much more expensive to replace or send out for repair than a playline fashion doll, so I feel like I can't take as many risks.

If (hopefully when) I do take out my dolls, I'd most likely start with a park, like the types that have a few interesting structures and small gardens, maybe a creek running through it -- and probably in the fall months, because I'm also really scared of sun damage on resin.
      Once I get used to that, I'd like to try taking them on hikes! I also do nature photography hikes, and after a while I realized that a lot of the shots I get in those kinds of locations would make nice backdrops for BJD shoots. The extra weight might be a little much alongside the camera bags but I think it's worth it for the gorgeous little naturalistic scenes you can find behind a rock or two if you frame things just right.

This, this, and this are some of the nature-hike shots I took that in hindsight I really wish I'd put a doll into, it just would have been such a good opportunity. I'm a bit afraid of getting grass stains and dirt on my dolls but I suppose there's not much nature can throw at them that water won't wash away.