1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you tell people how many and which dolls you own?

Dec 27, 2010

1. If someone asks me, I will tell them how many I own. I'll usually only go into detail if they ask which ones... and then I'll just say which sculpt and company. I don't want to be a bore with all the details. ;)

...sometimes there's an awkward pause when I have to re-count how many I have. I do rotate my collection quite often.
      Sometimes I'll find one hiding in a box when I'm moving my doll stuff around and then I'm all "Oh, I totally forgot I had one of those! Doll-bonus! :D"

2. Sure I tell people how many dolls I have. Even my bosses ask how many I now own (I bring them to work when the fancy strikes me). Most are listed in my sig, but I'll be changing that to only on my profile as I've now got too many to fit in my sig *head desk*. I think I'd laugh to the point of aching ribs if anybody accused me of showing off by posting all my dolls publicly. For the record, as of this post, I have 13 home, 1 in transit, 1 OT and I plan for 2 more dolls to come home beyond what I currently own.

3. yup l tell people that are interested in my dolls when they ask or if l show the dolls to them ect. I'm just wating to get Hazuki head that l order and then her a 0bitsu 40cm body will be coming next.

4. Doll collectors---yes. Non-doll collectors--no. (They just don't get it, and I'm sick and tired of having to explain.)

5. I really appreciate seeing the dolls people have in their signatures. That way, when they post a picture, I can check and see what their doll is. It helps to get a better feel for what dolls really look like - company photos seem to vary in accuracy.

I don't think anyone should jump all over someone for the number of dolls they have. It's not their business, for one thing, and secondly, you don't know how that person ended up with his/her family anyway.

6. Well I love telling people how many if they ask if they are curious. I love that people here on the forum don't seem to be shy about how many and maybe that's because we all just wanna see them and oogle them because they are sooo unique.

Personally I only tell people if they ask because usually they ask how much and then u get the uncomfortable welll they really cost this much plus shoes and clothes and I also like what Kaybee27 said that we really don't know how someone came to get their collection anyway...I have a couple of my dolls that parts of them were gifts from other doll owners that found they had no use for something or that they just knew I would want something. My two closest friends are into the hobby as well and we often for b-day or holiday gifts give money for dollies or dollie accessories.

7. Sure, I'll share. Generally only if asked, though. If someone is curious enough they can find them all on my Flickr, too. :)

8. I have all mine listed in my profile, along with details about the face-ups and body (if it's a hybrid). I always like being able to see what dolls people have because if I see a pic of their doll that I like, I want to know what sculpt it is without PMing the owner. Also, this may sound silly, but it makes me feel ignorant if someone has a doll as their avatar and I can't determine what the sculpt is or if the face-up is a company default or a custom job. I've never thought of people who list their collections as "showing off". Part of the fun of the hobby for me is looking at other people's dolls.

9. Lucky for me that I am seldom asked, because my answer is quite truthfully, "Too many." I have been collecting for a number of years and the dolls have accumulated exponentially. (Credit a combination of impulse buys and a total lack of willpower.)

I don't list them in my sig, preferring to refer people to my doll blog instead. My profile lists companies represented in my collection, but not how many from each or which ones. I don't mind revealing numbers or specifics to other collectors -- it's just that I have to stop and do a mental tally. That's hard work at the end of the day.

For anyone who is gauche enough to ask the price, my stock answer is, "Too much." People in the hobby know what BJDs cost. As for the others, I am too old to tolerate lectures on my spending habits so it's best they don't know.

10. Yep! (If asked, obviously. Randomly spouting "I HAVE X DOLLEHS, LET ME SHOW YOU THEM" kinda seems, uh... odd). I usually also have them in my signature and in my profile. But then again, I'm usually a proud owner of one (1) doll at a time since they just don't seem to stick (I think 4 was the greatest number I had at one time), so it's not like many people can accuse me of bragging anyways. :lol:

Honestly, I can't fathom why anyone would consider someone bragging if they just list their dolls in their signature. (And especially if they ask and get an answer. Seriously? You asked) Just listing the dolls, or even being proud of owning specific dolls, is not bragging. Me, personally, I LOVE seeing people's giant collections. It just seems so cool! I'd love to be able to have a big collection, but so far it seems as if I'm stuck with just owning one (due to space, money, and general fickleness on my part) - and I'm okay with that, because I love/enjoy my one dollie and I love looking at all of the awesome stuff other people did with their big collections. (And I really love it when people with large collections have convenient profile/signature lists, so I can see who that awesome dollie in one of their pictures is <3).

11. If the person is also into BJD or is kindly interested in which and/or how many BJD I have I am glad to tell about it like I do on my profile and on my signature, for instance. They are my way of living and sharing this hobby so which and how many I own are points within it.

12. Do you tell people how many and which dolls you own?
      I have enough dolls that share bodies, in pieces, share heads even (!) that I am not sure how to count-- for doll peeps I will say around 20 ish, and non-doll people just I just tell: "I collect Asian Ball-Jointed secondhand dolls and fix 'em up". Nobody has asked how many -- and only doll people ever ask if I have X, mostly so they can ask about resin matching and hybridizing, which I enjoy (though Baakay is even more the Queen of Hybrids!) I do keep a photo link on my sig, and I try to keep those pictures and my profile up to date, mostly for my own bookkeeping purposes. I'm not sure anybody else looks at my profile unless they want to send me a PM !