1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think limited dolls should be rereleased/restocked by their companies?

Jun 23, 2008

?
  1. yes, I own a limited doll

2. no, I own a limited doll

3. yes, I do not own a limited doll

4. no, I do not own a limited doll

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I am usually all for the "Re-release limiteds! Yay!" side, but just yesterday I had a pretty powerful taste of the other perspective. Bambicrony has just released a new limited colored elf. I have always longed for one, but couldn't afford the others when they first came out. So, I decided to sell a doll that I love very much, but doesn't get as much attention as others in the house. I did this because I know that this is my only chance to own this very beautiful Bambicrony. Now, if they suddenly came back later and decided to re-release her, I would be extremely upset and saddened that I gave up a beloved doll thinking that I didn't have a chance to save up for her any other way. :(

This is a very, very gray issue and depends very much on owner experience and specific situations, not just elitism or fame. I understand that very well now.

2. What few dolls I currently own are limited and I can't say I think LEs should never be released again. If that was the case then I would never have been able to buy my Hewitt 2nd edition. I adore that little MSD. :) Perhaps the same exact LE should never be released (same doll, same faceup, same clothing), but an LE with the same doll but different clothes is perfectly ok to me.

3. It depends, in my point of view. I think limited sets should not be restocked. As for the molds themselves? I don't see a problem with making a normal release version. An example of what I mean is like with the Soom Monthly dolls. I don't think they should ever restock Beryl or Sard after they're sold out as those sets. But to have Beryl and Sard with normal bodies and such or sold without the set isn't a problem, imo. What I mean, is that Soom shouldn't sell Beryl and Sard with the hooved feet, with those clothes and that face up again. They can come out with a different version if they want to, with hooved feet, different clothes and a different face up/skin color, etc, but not the original.

Now, I differentiate with the notion that a company can make certain molds and only want there to be a certain number of that mold in the world. Example being an Elf Ducan or some other limited mold. If the company says they're only making a certain number of those molds, then they should stick by their word and not come out with a re-release. If they do re-release it should definitely be a one-off type of thing. Kind of like how the '05 Breakaway and the '08 have slight differences but are still Breakaway.

I probably see things slightly differently than some, mostly because I'm rarely ever fond of a dolls rarity factor, if I found that an EL fit into a character that
      I want to make into a doll I'd get one of those too. :XD:

I guess as long as the company sticks to the terms of the limited edition whatever they do is cool. If it's just the set that's limited, then a regular release is fine, if it's just the doll then not so much.

I hope I don't sound confusing. :doh

4. if limited dolls got restocked, they wouldn't be limiteds now, would they ;)

it is nice to see old faces though, so i guess a re-release of a limited in perhaps a new outfit or whatever, that would be quite cool.

5. I'm interested in a limited BJD myself (which isn't sold out yet), but I understand that it is rather unfair to the people who rushed to buy them the first time round if they get re-released. I'm not sure how bothered I'd be personally if a company re-released a doll since the reason I want the one I do is because I think it's gorgeous, not because it's limited. And I think I'd be happy for more people to share the love. X3 On the other hand, I got kinda cheesed off when Square Enix re-released their 'limited to 77777' FF PSP. I'm not sure why that would bother me more than re-releasing a BJD though... I'm weird. XP

6. I own a Hypermaniac Gyedo and if he was re-released on a renewal body and different makeup, then it would not bother me. However if Ksy or the older Hypermaniacs were released and were not renewal, I would really be pissed off. I often wonder why certain companies decide later or years later to re-release a limited doll, but it would be there choice, not mine.

7. As I have said before, I wish all my limited dolls, including Bermann, Woosoo, my discontinued Volks and the like (I'd add Breakaway but he did get re-released, yay!) were re-released to the general public. I own dolls because I like them, not because they are limited, and to be honest I'd have more fun with my dolls if other people were able to just get their own if they wanted it and I didn't have to always be thinking of the value of the doll or if people were going to get wiggy because it was limited and I owned one or two of it.

The whole "limited" thing for any collectible, I find highly, highly stupid. I will collect these items if I like them, I may even pay a high price if I like them, but "limited" to me doesn't add any value to the item, just makes it a humongous pain in the butt to obtain much of the time. I have heard that some people and cultures really like the "specialness" of limiteds and the fact that it creates some kind of exclusive club of owners but that is not a club I want to be in.

8. Exactly what I think. The fact that a doll is a limited is actually something that makes me less interested in it :sweat I want a doll I can enjoy and change without being paranoid about how limited, expensive and hard to find it is.

However, I can understand people who think the opposite and I agree that limited sets (including doll, clothes, faceup, shoes) should never be released again, that's just misleading the people who bought them. The same doll could be released again in a standart version (with none of the clothes and all that), maybe even with some alterations. But ultimately it's the company's decision.

9. Limited are just that, limited. Have I missed out on a limited, you bet I have! Have I been able to obtain a limited, yep, and have been high ever since, AnnMarie

10. I don't really like the whole culture of buying limited because they are prestigous, because they are rare, because they are expensive status symbols, I agree. But in many cases doing limited dolls allows a company to do something it really couldn't keep up with doing constantly- like offering tanned/coloured dolls, or having a special faceup artist working with them, or a collaboration with a clothing company or well known doll seamstress/designer. Or a doll that might not sell that well as a regular, like say a one-eyed doll :lol: It lets doll artists and companies, especially small ones that may only have a couple of people pouring the molds, have more variety in what they produce, since they probably can't keep up with a huge variety of dolls that are all standard editions available all the time. And I think that aspect of limiteds is really great because we get to see some things we wouldn't otherwise.

But overall.... I think it would only be good if more people could get the doll they really love!

11. Like a few people have stated, limited itself no where says or really even implies that it cannot be re-released. Just implies that not as many of them are going to be floating around, and that they aren't going to be sold all the time.

In that respect, re-release all they want! I don't care if I have one, it's just a re-release!

Now, if I bought a doll from somewhere that had said "One time release only" or something of the fashion, and I turned around and strapped myself financially because "OH GOD NEED THIS DOLL NOW BECAUSE IT WILL GO AWAY AND NEVER COME BACK! JWEHWEW~!" and the company re-released it again, I'd be pissed.

12. It's more understandable if the limited edition is something that's hard to make, such as a tan doll, or one with special physical parts like android arms or something like that. If it's a case of a doll with a special outfit, given that these BJDs are meant to be customized, I think the best way is to have a limited number of dressed dolls but have the sculpt available as a blank too, so that people don't have to buy a limited dressed set and then basically take it all apart to create their own. That setup is frustrating because for every person who buys the fullset limited because there is no way of getting the sculpt otherwise, and then proceeds to ditch or sell off the outfit, take off the special makeup and make their own, there is going to be someone else who wanted that doll just the way the company sent it out. Even if the person who wanted the doll says "it's ok to do what you want to your own doll," the fact remains that there is now one less limited fullset for that person to someday dream of getting on the secondary market.

I like Dollshes and Tensiya outfits, but the way the fullset limited editions were handled - often by putting out dolls like Haute Hound and Bermann in special outfits/ editions/ makeups that you could not get anyplace else, and not making blanks of these dolls available - was frustrating to many people, and I hope they won't do any more of that in the future. It's annoying to have someone be upset because I'm planning to customize my Haute Hound, but I can see where they are coming from, because I had to fight off my own upset when I was looking for a particular very limited fullset and someone else was able to buy one through the "buddy system" and proceeded to completely do away with the original outfit and look of the doll.

13. I think it's the entire package that makes a doll limited, not the sculpt itself. The particular combination of sculpt, makeup, eyes, hair, clothing, etc that makes a limited doll should never be recreated. If it were, then the limited edition wouldn't be limited anymore would it? It would defeat the purpose.
      I'm perfectly fine with the rerelease of sculpts as part of new and different limited edition 'packages' so to speak, as it still makes them a unique release.

14. There are several limited that I do not have and that I would love to have ... Duncan elf for example... But a limited is just that ... Limited ... Elusive.. What they can do is get similar molds or change a little mold that ... Special Outfit and make up ... Elf Version .. Vampire Version ... Do not know .. Change the original limited mold...

15. Full set limited? no I do not think it is okay to re-release if they say a specific number but if it is just limited? I really do not see why not, but then what about an alternate version? a "sister release?" Maybe...

16. I'd be just fine if all dolls were always available - but since that's not the case, and there are limiteds, they should remain limited - it is deceiving to call something limited and then re-release it. There is also a certain sense of... pride I guess, in having a limited doll, and I don't think theres anything wrong with that!

If a doll you want is limited and long-since sold out, chances are you can still find it for sale second hand. :) That's good enough for me.

17. I'm not entirely sure if I like the idea that companies restock limited dolls/sets, especially so if they say that the dolls/sets will only be sold once and never again. It seems to make some people scramble for money unnecessarily if they're planning on restocking.

I know that the companies are well within their rights to do this, but I just can't help but think of it as a low market ploy. Restocking the mold itself without the set, or selling them again with different clothes/face-ups/modifications, I find is fine. But as for restocking the exact same sets...

Though, I guess I'm pretty much just regurgitating what people have already said by now. :sweat

18. Do you think limited dolls should be restocked by their companies?
      My answer is, it depends on the how long it was released for.
      Okay yes I understand limited dolls are limited for a reason, however missing the window really sucks.:)
      :)
      I suppose its like everything else having more than enough money for everything you want is ideal.

19. even though I do not own a limited doll I would understand if people who did would be sad if their 20 piece limited fullset that they were lucky enough to get would be released again in like 50 piece. the doll would just not be limited anymore.

I do like sets like Dollshe Berman, that comes out in diferent limited sets every once in a while. since mostly the thing that makes a doll limited is its fullset.

I do not mind the mold of a limited comming out as a basic version, without the limited set, just as the doll. like the iplehouse Tatiana and Tania did (did actually buy one :) )

20. I feel the word ''Limited'' is becoming more and more blurry. To me 'Limited' used to mean ''Will not be released ever again''- but I'm honestly no longer sure what 'Limited' means these days- as it can mean everything from ''Will be released again w/ different face up/clothes'' or ''Will be released again later on in another small quantity''...uhmm o_Ô

I find it confusing- and I honestly do get a little cross when companies re-release limited dolls- mainly because I often feel rushed into buying a limited item/doll in the first place, thinking it won't be available ever again... only to find out later on that limited didn't mean THAT limited.

Companies just should NOT use the word 'Limited' for items they have in mind to maybe later on re-release IMHO :)

((ps: sorry for my horriblub english))