1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think limited dolls should be rereleased/restocked by their companies?

Jun 23, 2008

?
  1. yes, I own a limited doll

2. no, I own a limited doll

3. yes, I do not own a limited doll

4. no, I do not own a limited doll

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. as much as i would love to own a kurumi. tan shall. jun t. etc etc. No. because i do believe that since some are willing to pay so high for their doll. that if it was indeed sold as a non-limited, then those who paid an arm and a leg would... be jipped.

i think they are created limited for a reason and should stay that way... as much as i would love those dolls...

2. No. Exactly the same doll with the same outfit and everything? No. What would be the point of it being a limited if you can get it again the year after? Same doll with a different limited outfit, sure. Same doll as a blank, sure. Just not the same package.

3. It all depends on how a company limits that doll.

Volks re-releases limiteds all the time. Their Lucas mold alone has had four releases as Lucas, four releases as Chris and modified releases at SwD Lucas, Kai, Sasha, Masha and Irvin. Volks tends to limit the majority of their dolls in a fullset only avaiable at a certain event and its susequent after party/online lottery. It's something they're clear about, and as far as I know they never limit a doll to a specific number. So in this case, I think it is absolutely acceptable to re-release a limited doll. You cannot buy Lucas or Tsukasa, or Heath, etc etc on a regular basis. Only when Volks re-releases them. So even with the re-releases they are still limited dolls.

However, if we took DoD for example. last year they released a tan Elf Vampire Ducan. They stated it was limited to one or two (I can't remember) in the entire world. Only available at that particular event (Dollism I believe it was). Now if they turned around tomorrow and released a batch of ten, fifty, a hundred on their site... yes, I openly admit I'd be all over it. I totally pined for that Ducan and his outfit. But would it be right of them to re-release him after saying there would only be that limited amount ever released at Dollism? In my opinion, no absolutely not.

It all just depends to me, greatly on how a company defines their limited dolls.

4. I believe that it's all right to re-release limited dolls, but on a "Limited time only" basis. I have no personal experiences along the lines of "I wanted it sooo much but couldn't get it, so I'd love for it to be re-released", but just looking at it from the companies' viewpoint.

What might be better than re-releasing a limited doll would be to release another limited that's just very similar. I guess it depends on the company and the individual doll. I don't think some of the more... exotic dolls deserve to be re-released. I can see how a company could justify making those "one-time-only" dolls. But a couple years later, re-releasing a "one day only" doll might be okay, if it's one of the bigger companies. The smaller ones can release less dolls. From 50 of a Mold ABC doll, to 20 of the same, maybe a different outfit, or faceup, or something. But that's just my personal opinion.

5. I don't really see a problem with one offs. If what sleep_pattern described in a scenario happened, it would kind of suck, but I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with a one-off of that Ducan. If they wanted to do another tanned elf vampire ducan, let them. Change his mouth or maybe just make him a tanned vampire, but not an elf?

Something like that, I can't really say that I'd be too bothered by that occurrence. Because the company would have stuck to what they said and made it so that there were still only two tanned elf vampire ducans, you know?

6. I don't see a problem with a company restocking a doll they originally marketed as a oneoff or limited. For the people who would feel cheated since they paid more (I really don't think they would be paying that much more anyway) they shouldn't feel that way because they paid more to have the doll at that time. They should feel happy they got it before the masses. Yes the doll might not be "worth" as much on the second market but seriously when I buy dolls I think whether I like it or not, not the resell value. I do feel for the others though who would sell 1 or 2 of their other dolls to get that limited doll just to have it rereleased, but to that I still think it was their choice to do so, they took the risk. This being said I would kill for the rerelease of DOD Black Luke, even if they were all 2800 each (the price it was originally auctioned for) I'd so buy one.

7. Okay... I just checked out the Angel of Dream, and they no longer have my dream doll JAY. (He was not a limited.. but he no longer exists. *CRIES HYSTERICALLY*)

8. I would say no, but I feel like the unpredictability almost keeps the hobby exciting. So while it is infuriating when a company rereleases a mold for which you've just shelled out big bucks, perhaps that sense of never knowing what's coming is a good thing. Keeps us enthusiastic and on our toes. After all, how many people think, "that was so irritating of LUTS to rerelease Breakaway; I'm going to quit the hobby," versus people who think, "arghhhh they rereleased him but hey, maybe they'll release _________ next..?"

9. I think limited dolls should be...well, as their name implies...limited. I don't think these limited lines should be limited to say....5 dolls or so. Although I do love a few limited dolls, some that aren't going to be restocked at all, but it's okay...I can always try and get them secondhand, which is perfectly fine with me.

Limited dolls should be limited. Otherwise they're just...apart of the rest of the BJD world.

10. i have never been a big fan of limited dolls. limited outfits, eyes, wigs, stuff like that fine. limited sets like surreality said are also fine.
      but not limited molds themselves. i dont feel that its very moral, as it easily breeds jelousy and depression.
      i have just always hated the idea of something being limited because it always seems to me as some one is going to say "im faster better and have more money than you so i get this awsome thing that i can sell for thousands later. neener neener neener"

11. I have two limiteds and one more Im paying off, so I probably think not?
      the thing is though, one of my limiteds is the 08 breakaway, of whom I adore the newer head style. As long as each on isdifferent then fine. Im getting an 05juri and the subsequent juri's are very different so thats cool, I hate for Luts to release the same head mold. This way the original LE are still Le in my head.

12. I think that they should restock limiteds, but not in the same way that they had sold them before nor should they restock often and make them regular items. For example, maybe they bring out a Woosoo that's, uh... a girl, maybe. And pack him without the special vampire head or something like that, for a month, and then stop. For me, I believe that it's not really the monetary value of the doll that counts (some people may believe that restocking limiteds may make the dolls lose their value and that's ok, I just don't believe that) but the people's enjoyment and some people really can't help finding the One in limited molds and, what if for example there's only 100 of the mold produced and there are 101 people who can die (figuratively, not literally) to acquire the doll? It's just so sad, that's all...

13. It doesn't bother me and frankly, I'd love it if Volks would re-release Sweet Dream Lucas again. I know that there are many that want him and he's a tough guy to get. The more the merrier I think.
      Sure, I paid a lot of money to get him and it may seem unfair if somebody else didn't, but the fact remains that I thought my SwD Lucas was worth the price I paid.

But I have to say, I like the way volks 're-releases' their limiteds. Creating different versions of a doll. This way limiteds keep having an exclussive air around them, just because their are a limited amount of that particular version.

14. It wouldn't be really limited if they restocked it now would it?

15. I second that.
      Though,personally (and I guess it's because I'm extremely selfish) I would want them to restock because some of the limited dolls I want are the most expensive ones out there! xD
      Though, that's just me wanting my rare dolls but should they restock limited ones? No.
      Because they wouldn't be limited and I'm sure a lot of people who own limited dolls are proud that "wow,my doll is one of 100!" or something like that. It must be a really cool feeling! But even though I wouldn't mind them restocking limited dolls I don't think they should and if they do be for a very short time.

16. What would be the point in restocking limited items? If they do that, it wouldn't be limited. I personally don't have any limiteds, although there have been quite a few that I would have liked to have. But whatever, I'll live. When the time comes along that I actually am able to get one, it will be that much sweeter, because only a few other people will have that same item/doll and I'll know I was one of the lucky ones. And knowing that I got lucky that one time is much cooler than knowing that everyone went out and bought the same thing I did...

I also think it keeps people interested in what the company has to offer when they come out with limited items and dolls. It's cool that they do that. It sort of keeps you wondering what they're going to come up with next. Like the zodiac Soom dolls!! Now those are cool!!

17. Yes. Yes I do. But that's just because I'm one of those people who don't like limited dolls in the first place. As a few others have said, I'm fine with Limited fullsets and the like, but the actuall doll itself, I personally prefr it that the basic sculpt should always be for sale. But that's just because I don't like all the negativity that Limiteds seem to have a way of stirring up. People get depressed because they can't afford a new Limited doll, others get elitist, people scalp their dolls...whatever. It all happens, and I really don't think it's necessary.

Of course, that's is all from my own idealistic point of view. I get these doll companys are first and foremost a business and all that jazz, and this is just another method of boosting sales. Or it can be an artistic thing as well, the creator of the doll wants only a certain number of them sold, or whatever reason there is out there for creating Limiteds. But just giving my opinion, I do like that some companies restock their Limiteds, and this whole fuss over feeling huffy about having spent more over the original limited, had to fight tooth and claw to get it, etc., would all disappear if the doll in question hadn't been a limited in the first place.

18. I think having a limited edition BJD is sort of pointless. Afterall, they're all unique after a bit of customisation. :)

Edit: Somebody brought up the point of owners of limiteds getting jipped with a re-release. I guess a few dolls being re-released each year would keep them from losing value and allow others a chance to get said doll. Or at least to have what InkyBear said about always having the basic head mold available. :)

19. Wow, looking at the results of the poll it's a pretty close-run thing!
      I'm with InkyBear here, in that I'm not keen on limited dolls in the first place. I realise it's helpful for the companies since it can generate extra interest and money for them. But it's heart-breaking to come across a doll that you absolutely adore, and would love to bring home ... only to realise it was released several months or even a year or two ago, with no chance of a re-release (if it's a strict limited), and it's double (or even more) the original price on the second-hand market. I'm sure a lot of people have been in this situation.

I don't think I'd mind if I did buy a limited doll and then it was re-released. I mean, I'd be buying the doll because I wanted it and loved it ... not because it was a limited edition. I would like other people to have the same chance of owning a doll they love, too.

I don't enjoy hearing stories of people who missed out on their dream doll - a hard-to-get limited - by losing an eBay auction, or having their connection bugger up at an online after-event thing ... I think those situations are highly unfortunate, cause unhappiness, and wouldn't occur if there were no such things as limiteds in the first place.

20. I guess it's a difficult question. I found out about SOOM's Monthly Dolls too late, and I would have loved to get Beryl and Sard. Same with Volks Cyndy and Cyndy 2 and oh, so many more... But I guess it's different when you actually own the doll - owning a limited doll probably makes it even more special... It's different when you just missed out on the doll though, I think...