1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you want to know what happens to the dolls you sell?

May 18, 2011

1. I haven't sold a doll, only a head. I think I'd like to know--just if the owner was happy with it. On the other hand, it's their doll and they can do what they like with it... and I'd sometimes worry what they will do and maybe NOT want to know!?!

I've bought a few dolls from people... the last one, I sent a photo of the doll I'd bought, dressed up and with a different wig... to the past owner--just as a "thank you and I'm loving the doll." Although I wondered if I was being weird... or if maybe the owner didn't want to be reminded of a doll they sold. But anyway, I just did it once and wasn't planning on doing it again... so I figured it couldn't hurt.

2. Aghh.. I'm really on the fence with this one. >< On one hand I want to see what happened to the head I sold, but at the same time it's like, I sold it because I don't want it anymore, so I don't ever want to see it again. Plus, if I like what the new owner did to it, it might make me regret selling... But I guess it's really none of my business because I don't own it anymore. I can't say I'm not curious but I definitely won't purposely go out to look for it or anything...

3. In general, if I don't feel a connection with a BJD, I sell it within a week or two. And although I have had a few that I kept for six months or longer, I wasn't attached to them enough to give them characters or introduce them into my stories. So I sold or traded them. I can't afford to keep BJDs I don't like or use.

Since I didn't feel a real connection to them, I have no desire to know where they are now. However, I DID sell a Volks oldskin body that belonged to one of my favorite boys when I upgraded him to a pureskin body. His old body had some quirks that sort of helped endear the entire doll to me, and it was kind of neat to have a piece of Volks history in my collection, but I know he's better off with his new body. And I seriously doubt HE misses it!

Linda S.
      galatia9

4. I randomly pick out this quote from the many already saying the same, but I totally agree with what is said here :3nodding:

5. To me, it's a business transaction, so I don't really look the doll up to see what has become of him. What I would like to know, however, is if the owner is happy with him. With the two dolls I've sold I was really glad to see how happy the new owners were with their doll. They just spend a lot of money: I'd hate it if they would be disappointed in any way.

6. I will never ever sell another doll except to my personal friends. I sold a doll to someone through the marketplace. She was restrung, sueded and had a custom face up that the new owner asked for. I worked really hard on her and she posed a thousand times better then before (She couldn't even stand before). Then I ran across a comment she'd made a few months later about how I'd wrecked her stringing and she was going to sell her. After all my hard work I was really shocked and a little insulted. I have made a point to stay away from that users stuff since then, but it really turned me off to selling.

7. I never sold any of my dolls, but I bought two dolls from other people. And it happened so that both of those people are my friends, and I see them/talk to them often. So they still see the photos of their dolls, and know what happened to their dolls.
      I changed their names and style. and my friends told me they liked the change, and were quite happy I was the one buying the dolls, and not some random people they don't know. ^^

Now I'm planning to sell a doll, or a head, and this question is kinda lingering in my mind. I guess it will depend, who would buy it. If it's a friend, or a person that I know, then probably it would be the same story as with my two dolls - I will still keep track on it while communicating with that person. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't check what happens to it, unless I see photos anywhere in the Gallery ^^

8. Once i tracked a doll down, because months after i sold it, i found the COA if the doll. Contacted the buyer, who had resold her, then contacted the new owner and send the COA.

Also, when someone who has already bought something from me buys again, i usually ask if they still have the other doll.

9. I'm not very interested about what happens with my exdolls. I know about one of them thanks to Flickr and the fact that I have a friendly relation with the new owner, but for the rest... I've never heard anything about them or their owners and I don't care at all. It was just a business, so if they enjoy the doll, perfect. If they don't, well, I'm sorry but it's not my business or my problem.

I'd rather spend my time playing with my actual dolls, which I have to say that I really enjoy them and the ones which are second hand, their previous owners hadn't shown any interest either.

10. I only want to make sure that the doll has arrived safe and sound, after that it doesn't belong to me anymore, so I don't really want to know what happens to it, either. The only exception to this rule is when a person proposes to send me some photos - I definitely don't mind that ^_^

11. I will admit to being mildly curious about the dolls and heads I've sold over the years; not enough to start stalking the buyers though! I've been curious enough about dolls purchased on the secondary market to go looking up old gallery threads for them though, so I suppose it's only natural to also have a certain amount of curiosity about what happens to them when I've passed them on.

I've had a couple of sellers express interest in what I've done with dolls I bought from them; usually because they've been fans of my work and so were curious to see what I'd make of them.

The only uncomfortable experience I've had was with a girl who it seemed had RPed with Kai (my El) in his previous incarnation before I bought him, and wanted to carry on RPing with him. I had to explain to her that Kai was no longer the same character and that I wasn't interested in RPing. She stalked his photo threads and PMed me every time I posted something new, and got quite indignant when she realised that Kai had developed a relationship with Eric, my Shiwoo. I had to point out to her (yet again) that Kai was no longer the character he'd been previously, and was not in a relationship with her doll and I was not going to RP with her. I had to threaten to report her to the mods for harassment before she would finally back off. Now that was a very weird and uncomfortable experience!

12. Not sending me a pic after I sell my doll to you makes the transaction seem impersonal, like I sold my doll on Ebay.

I usually do get one pic (and one time I got a whole gallery post!) where the new owner shows me what direction she's taking the doll in.

I appreciate it and I feel it strengthens the feel that this is a community of caring people and not some dollie-walmart.

13. :?:nowords: omg...that would be just creepy to me!!

14. I don't think i would want to know what happen to a doll i sold, maybe it's because i don't what to see it goul, or zombie mode since i not it to that stuff.

15. I think the only reason that I would want to know is only because one of the most intriguing parts of this hobby is seeing how many different ways you can 're-create' one sculpt; I'd love to see what others would do with my doll in comparison with what I had done with him...
      Of course, if the person did nothing with them, tossed them in a corner somewhere then honestly, I wouldn't want to know this what-so'ever... it would make me feel terrible...
      But, ultimately it wouldn't really be my business any longer and would never try to impose that on the new owner but if they wanted to share then by all means, I'd love to see. Just like if those who owned my dolls before me (only my Ryu is second hand) I would absolutely share how he's come along in my family ^_^

16. I didn't read the whole thread, because most of the posts I read were expressing the same sentiment, so I feel like I'm in a bit of a minority here when I say - yes, I love knowing what happens to the dolls I sell!

No matter how much I fall out of love with a doll and want to sell it, and no matter that it is, I suppose, a business transaction, I find this hobby too personal to just go "yeah, I don't care". I would absolutely love it if someone who sold me a doll sought out pictures or asked me for some, most of the people I buy from/sell to here are pleasant people and while the transaction's going on we usually have a bit of a chat and get to know one another :) I really find that I love a doll much more once it's in a loving new home than when it belongs to me. I adore looking up pictures of my old dolls to see how they and their new owners are getting along - I know it's silly, but I'm a sentimental sort I guess! If the doll moves on again that's when I stop following them, but the direct buyer from me I guess I do stalk them a little bit for photos :XD: I don't ask (because I, personally, feel awkward doing so but I would feel delighted if a seller kept up with the doll I adopted from them!) for photos or anything but I do poke around the forum looking out for them from time to time.

17. Sort of. ^^; There's always going to be this little part of you that wants to know if your past dolls are being taken care of. But to me it's not a 'must know' type of thing.

18. I guess we're in the same minority together Ehryn! I feel exactly the same as this ^^ And I was happy to read someone else did too.

19. I would love to know what happens to the dolls I sell. I can't force the buyer to stay in contact but it would be nice to know they are appreciated. All the dolls I have sold were sold as face-uped dolls. I started out on OT dolls with face repaints. Since my dolls were bought more for their repaints than their sculpt, yes I would love to know what happened to a character I put love and effort into.