1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do your dolls have their own clothes?

Jun 24, 2022

1. Most of my doll stuff belong to specific dolls, but I do have a few things that are in a sort of a "community pile". Sometimes it's items that I like but the doesn't fit anyone perfectly, so I hold on to them because sooner or later there will be a doll for them, if not one of mine, a friend may have a doll that it works for. Other times it's stuff that fits several dolls and I haven't made up my mind on who gets to own it. Some of it is stuff that once belonged to a specific doll, but they don't wear it much anymore. Much like a human will sometimes purge unused things from their warderobe, so do the dolls.
      It's also nice to have some extra stuff for when a new doll comes in. When getting to know a new doll I love being able to try stuff on them, clothes as well as wigs and eyes.
      In addition to that, most of my dolls have characters that interact a lot, some who even live together, so it's not uncommon for them to borrow stuff from each other, much like humans often do.

I also have a separate box for things that doesn't fit in the dolls ordinary warderobes, such as halloween costumes and historical stuff made just for the fun of it.

And then there's the tinies. They have almost no clothes of their own, at least not yet. But they do have a pretty big box of shared stuff in all sorts of styles. I am still not sure where I want to go with them, but they are so much fun making stuff for, that the warderobe expands quickly.
      Luckily, tiny clothes don' take up much space. :XD:

2. Oh my…it’s all about the fashion! I got into this hobby in the first place to explore my lifelong fascination with fashion, anywhere from historic to fantasy to the wild modern innovations you see on Harajuku street in Japan. I’m frankly of an age where I’m done wanting to wear such exciting things myself, but I absolutely love exploring fashion through my dolls. So of course they all have their own wardrobes!;) Problem is I’ve been collecting since 2006…only about 3 dolls per year, but after so many years it really adds up. Multiply this by 3-5 outfits a piece and I’m definitely seeking out clothes storage wherever I can find it!:doh I have a full dresser, multiple decorative boxes on open shelves, and drawers within multiple display units. Wherever the dolls are displayed, I do my best to keep their wardrobes nearby. I manage to keep everything neatly hidden away, stored in clear 1-gal zip lock bags so I can easily see what I have when it’s time for a change.

#22 PoeticSoul, Jun 25, 2022
      Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    3. {LAUGH!} You wouldn't say that if you knew me - the picture was taken to prove that it's actually tidy occasionally - the rare times I get around to blitzing the usual mess and chaos of stuff pulled out of boxes and not put away for months on end.

Teddy

4. There are definitely some items that can be shared, though mostly my dolls have their own clothes because they all have different body types.

Vince, Pete, and Deanna can all wear the same robe despite having radically different bodies-- though it will probably be claimed by the Sorcerer I plan to add to my D&D-inspired crew, it's more her style than any of theirs.

Deanna can also steal Jack's shirt, for modesty purposes.

Pete can wear some of Vince's tops, but the tops that are loosest on Vince absolutely CAN'T work on Pete. I still have to try Vince's ultra-baggy shirts on the FIDs because I think even Jack could get into his Avengers tee... but it might be a very awkward fit for him. Of course, even 'modern AU' Jack wouldn't really wear superhero tees, but modern Deanna would. So there's potential for theft there.

There's one top that can be a little crop top on Pete, a slightly short-but-wide tee on Billy that will look normal enough under his partially-closed dinosaur costume or a sweater, and pretty much hangs off of Marigold (though it's a shame, because it suits her overall style best)-- Marigold can wear some tops bought for Billy, but he can't wear tops bought for her.

NOBODY can share pants right now, except for one stretchy soft pair of athletic shorts that will fit Vince or Pete. Those tend to remain Pete's, but Vince's other shorts look ridiculous and ill-fitting on Pete even when the elastic waistband keeps them on, and Vince can't wiggle into any of Pete's leggings, let alone the FIDs. And of course Marigold can't wear pants at all.

Party Martian doesn't have to share with anyone, but the downside is, he also can't steal from anyone.

5. Where I live currently, storage and display space is very limited. Each doll has their own outfit which rarely gets changed. Though lately I've been re-doing some of their outfits. I do have stacking plastic drawers with all the extra clothing/ Mostly items I've bought intended for a certain doll, but which didn't work for whatever reason. I divide them by doll size: SD, MSD, YOSD and then I have separate drawers for shoes and for wigs.
      For the past several months I've been quite ill and so I have time on my hands. I started going through all my clothing and changing the outfits on some of my dolls. This week I'm working on a change of clothes for 3 of my SD girls.

6. My doll has lots 'n lots of clothes and accessories ..... just no body. :crushed I think my two heads (when the second head and their body arrive will share the stash!

7. Oh man, I think my dolls are a mix of both. My MSDs and my few YoSDs could definitely share - we're trying it out right now, seeing how 2 newer MSDs like some of the other MSD clothes besides their default full set clothing...their reactions seem mixed. My mature minies definitely can and do share clothes though one girl gravitates towards more of the girly girl and the other is more tomboy. My SDs...are more particular. For example, Elrond (my spoiled baby of a doll) has 2 outfits all his own because they were commissioned specifically for him. Varda has a monopoly on all the female fantasy dresses and doesn't seem inclined to let Melian try any of them on just yet. Celebrian has her two outfits that match with her husband's. Manwe and Melkor are set in their ways (and have the least amount of clothes). Thingol has a lot of clothes some of which he might be lending to Zidane or Kuja if they can fit in them or fancy them. Kuja has his outfits. Zidane - who isn't even HERE yet - already has outfits to try (but no wig). And poor Glorfindel has NOTHING. He is currently in a nightgown and being a very good sport of having no outfit to call his own. I really ought to look into commissioning something for him as my first choice fell through, and the person who actually made something for him hasn't responded to me in 6 months.

But if it's something basic like shoes/wigs/eyes, my dolls can be good sports about sharing. They really need underwear though - especially my mature minies!

8. my dolls do have their own clothes! i don't plan to have many dolls in the first place, so more of my money is spent on buying clothes that suit them instead of buying more dolls :) i've already got a few pieces stocked up, just for another doll i'm planning to order in the next few months!

9. I used to keep my dolls as OC shells, but since I'm back to enjoying them as simply the coolest fashion dolls out there, I focus on their outfits.

This means that I like to see one piece matched in different ways and on different dolls. So, my dolls share their clothes all the time. In fact, I have reduced my collection down to 5 dolls only and all of them om the same size: sd13 girl for the sole purpose of being able to share their outfits.

Sure, my Supia has larger breasts, my Zaoll is generally thinner and my petite DF-a boy broader in torso, but they're still able to share most of their stuff.

Emotionally, I feel like they're all loving sisters or best friends, who just borrow clothes and it's just an aspect of having fun together.

That being said, my Volks Nana cannot share her wigs or eyes with the rest. She takes 9 inches wigs and 18mm eyes, while they take 7-8 inches and 12mm. Other than this, they share nearly everything and I love it ❤ when I declutter and tidy up their stuff in two months' time I may take a pic of how I store it. For now, I'll just say: one box for accessories, one for the shoes, one for the clothes and one for the wigs. I have too little space in the one for the clothes, so I will soon need some other solution...

10. I fall into "they share" category :XD: Although most of my doll clothes do belong to a certain owner, I like to combine pieces and find new looks, so anyone can wear anyone else's clothes as long as they fit. I have several SD13 and one SD10 which is very convenient in terms of sharing; my two MSDs though don't share because one of them gas dragon wigs and tail :XD:

So, for example, DZ Gray's full-set was partly taken by another boy, and Gray himself is happy with the pants and cardigan that came with one of my girls. And my Zaoll girls - with Supia 60 and Zaoll bodies - share almost everything, and sometimes clothes bought for one of them fit the other better :D

11. For the most part they each have their own outfits; there are some pieces that occasionally get mix & matched though. Most of them, I made their outfits specifically for them and it just feels wrong to swap them around - or in some cases, things made for one simply don't properly fit on another.

12. I want each of them to have a personal outfit that reflects their personality, but they do share some stuff if they are the same size (mostly stuff like shoes and socks). I often find that one type of outfit is best for each, so even though they can share, they rarely end up doing so.

I have tried doing a long skirt on my Maskcatdoll Yaël and I don't really liked it, I think she looks best in 3/4 skirts and most things that are more girlish and less elegant. My Maskcat doll Willow looks absolutely stunning in dark gowns and elegant, adult-like outfits. I once bought a skirt suit for her, but I just hated the style on her. I want to dress my hybrid with the plus-size body looks in professional, elegant outfit that play with her curves so I have to make most of her clothes though she can fit in some of my boy coats.

That's probably weird though, because it's got nothing to do with physically fitting or not. It's more a style thing.

#32 lyaam12, Jun 27, 2022
      Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    13. I collect doll clothes as much as a I collect the dolls themselves, so my crew are firmly in the "some of each" camp...

Most of the gang have an outfit or two that I think of as theirs and theirs alone, but I also have a fairly large collection of outfits and individual pieces that are more held-in-common. Just about anyone they fit may end up wearing something from that batch.

14. Each doll has a specific outfit just due to their body types differing wildly.

But there is a common pile of clothes that are more comfy and shoes.

15. None of my dolls share clothing, but it is mainly because they are so different it wouldn't fit.

16. All of my doll clothes/shoes/accessories are stored, folded, in a set of craft drawers. I like to think that all of my dolls have their own clothes, and they all have something that is uniquely theirs, but about 80% of what I have belongs to Eilis; as such, she often has to share.

17. Each has their own clothing, shoes, wigs, etc. That said, a couple of them end up sharing with the new kids when they show up...

At least for a little while. Years ago when I got my Pukippuki Pongpong, I bought him a TON of clothes (many would be considered costumes), so he has plenty to share with the new Pukis and other tinys.

18. I have 1 MSD, 2 Tinies that are totally different and one big guy. So they can't share clothes at all so they for sure have their own stuff.

19. When I was trying to set up my male luts, I was kinda switching clothes back and forth just to play around...my Eris has her own clothes, because she is not happy with anything else. She literally won't wear anything that isn't pastels or kawaii. It's so weird. If I try to put her in anything else? She suddenly starts flopping around and won't cooperate.

20. It depends! Lots of things go in the “community pile” but each of my girls also has clothes of her own!