1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do your dolls reflect your own ideals of beauty?

May 11, 2009

1. Well, yes, pretty much. I'm a big...hmmm I don't know what's the best word to use, but I'm constantly "looking" for the beauty I want in mostly everything, from paintings, lyrics, to photos, and recently, dolls.
      I have a pretty stable ideal of beauty, and my things and creations reflect that :sweat

2. a lot of the characters I've taken under my wing already reflect what I see as ideal beauty...
      My character, Alyona, has been with me since...sixth grade? (I'm currently entering COLLEGE o_o) and she's always been, in my opinion, the most beautiful woman. then again, she started out as a glorified, idealized self-insert who has only grown to become independent of me in the last two years or so.
      So...I don't know. But if I had a character in mind that wasn't beautiful or pretty, I would make them into a BJD that was exactly how I pictured them - a complete representation. It would be fun to have a doll that's 'a little odd'!

3. I have the standard concept about beauty. But I do not deny that there is a beauty for example in emo and the punk to culture. Piercing and tattoos is pleasant to me too. To me one-eyed dolls and dolls having scars only are not nice. I cannot see beauty in physical damages.

4. hmm, i would say my dolls open my mind to new ideals of beauty, so they expand my horizon and world of beauty. so it is not something i set out to do , but a seduction.

and i thank them, and all of you here ,,

5. Green eyes redheads (often wth freckles) predominate in my gang, so I suppose the answer is yes, those ones reflect my ideals of beauty. Not all of them, but more of them do than don't.

As to the pre-exisiting character in your head question - I start witht he doll and their caharacter comes as I get to know them. The one time I had an idea for the type of character I wanted a doll to be she made it abundnatly clear (in the couple of days between box opening ad being sent off for face-up) that the character I had hoped for was not what I would be getting... and my intended glamour-girl went away to be painted up as a hippie-chick instead.

Teddy

6. hmmmno... dolls mostly reflect what I would define as "pretty".
      it's hard to get real beauty in a doll, but it is what I'm aiming for nonetheless.

7. Only Sorta, is my response.

My ideal of beauty in the feminine has a lot more body substance and curve to her, more like an Aoi Tuki than the Unidoll I'm waiting for, but she's lovely too, and I chose her body based on the fact that I liked the look of the joints and her sculpt felt more realistic, without the steep "posed" arch in the lower back that too many dolls have.

I do not, however, find BJD Paleness to be at odds with my ideal of beauty. I would prefer they came in a range of colors and ethnicities much WIDER, but they seem to dye well to any shade one can think of, at least.
      Still, I prefer mine pale- Like me. I get a lot of crap from other people for being "too white", so I will be letting my lovelies be as pale as they please. So there. ;)

I chose the Lupin based entirely on my preference for "manly men" as opposed to "bishonen" so you could say he counts toward my ideal of male beauty. The EID Iplehouse boys are closer to what floats my boat :fangirl: but they are just not poseable enough for my taste yet. I may end up with one someday anyhow, they are just too sexy. :)

8. As far as what I feel is beautiful... no, my dolls don't really reflect that well.

All of my doll family have eyes in fairly unnatural shades of color: gold, red, purple, teal, etc. In humans I prefer Asians (<-- am one) as far as determining what I think is beautiful. I love black hair because I don't have it naturally despite being what nationality I am. I also have a thing for all shades of brown eyes. My dolls do have fairly natural colored hair: black, white, browns so I guess I like natural hair.

Very, very natural beauty for me. For my dolls, I like them to be somewhat unnatural while still retaining some element of real life. It's just a mix of different things that appeal to me in dolls that in real life would not really make me go "that's gorgeous"

9. All the ones that I choose pertain to my ideal aesthetics of beauty. Most of the characters I have in mind what they look like and finding a doll that matches that is tricky. Some might think my perception of beauty seems a little too glamorous but i think beauty itself is within the eye of the beholder, so thus no form is wrong or incorrect.

10. I think in part they do; most of my dolls have a supernatural aspect to them (two are elves, one is a pookah with bunny ears, and one resembles a vampire), which is what appeals to me, aesthetically, because it's not what I normally see in day to day life.

The one SD I'm planning to get will likely be the only "human" in the bunch (good luck to him), which is funny, because my best friend is just the opposite of me, and her dolls are all human without the supernatural touch to them. In the things I create, I love for there to be just a touch of magic affiliated with them. To me, that makes them beautiful, so even if my ideals are impossible to acheive in real life, I know they can at least be achieved in my dolls.

11. for me they do. i would never be able to own a doll that didnt embody my ideals of beauty. it does limit the sort of dolls i would own, such as i wouldnt buy any colour other than white (or tones of cream) or any animals.

but then i cant imagine ever coming up with a character that wouldn't be visually beautiful, so its not a dilema for me.

12. I am more attracted to dolls with interesting faces than I am to pretty dolls. I don't think any of my dolls exactly reflect my ideal of beauty, but I find them appealing anyway. I prefer diversity in their looks and have dolls made by many different companies. I am enchanted by their little quirks and oddities.

13. Hazy: yes. My Minimee: No.

He's an interesting story, because I searched for a long time before finding a mold I liked. I tried to find one to fit my ideal beauty in a man and even got him painted by a great artist in hopes of finding that ideal beauty. When I saw him in person, though, I was shocked. He's not ideal at all. It's probably because of his realistic mold which makes him so specific that he can't really be ideal like other dolls. In some light, though, he doesn't even look beautiful. When he first sat down next to Hazy, I found him slightly ugly and looked like he was strung out on drugs. It bothered me at first, but now I think it's the coolest thing ever! He has so much personality that I love his faults.

14. I prefer for them to look unearthly, beautiful... but I definitely wouldn't want a person too look like half the dolls I like. They look lovely and interesting as dolls, but if they were people I am afraid they would be a bit homely a lot of the time.

15. I think everyone's doll reflects their own personal aesthetics in what they feel is attractive. You wouldn't buy a doll you thought was ugly. You become attracted to a doll because of some aspect of its aesthetic that appeals to you, so naturally your collection would be an example of at least some personal ideal beauty. Because while you may consider your doll to be beautiful is some way, whether in conventional means or as some sort of creative expression, that certainly may not be the case for others. I've come across many dolls I felt are ugly but they are loved dearly and thought of as beautiful by their owners.

What appeals to me with BJD's is naturalism. I do not care for exaggerated features, or dramatic face-ups, or other things like that. Not that I don't like fantasy--in fact, fantasy is one of my favorite things, but I guess my aesthetic appeal with these particular dolls is the ability to replicate realism as more personality muses than fantastic characters. On the other hand, I do like elf ears, so I can't say I'm not attracted to the more fantasy types of dolls. But when it comes to my own collection at this time, making them look like real people, rather than something out of a storybook, appeals to me, and their particular style is my ideal of beauty.

16. They do, but only in a doll ideal of beauty. It is an ideal that would not really move beyond dolls (perhaps paintings or drawings and pictures of dolls of course), but in a realistic sense, my human ideal of beauty is very different from my doll ideal.

17. Honestly, I pass up dolls I find 'beautiful' every day because they don't fit a character I have in mind. While I do love all of my dolls to death and find them all attractive, I only own a couple of my favorite molds. If I was going to get a doll that was in keeping with my concept of ideal beauty, they'd probably have to be there just for fun or I'd have to make up a new character specifically for them.

As for the question about unattractive characters... I'm not sure that would be possible. I have only ever seen.. probably two people in my entire life I would really call unattractive, and I saw them both when I was in my early teens. It would be near impossible for me to find one of my own characters unattractive unless I was utterly repulsed by their personality, in which case I would not want to make a physical representation of them anyway.

18. Ok my bouts on this are probably way far from the norm. same as my ideas of attractive.

i'd say that 95% of my dolls are freaking beyond ugly. but i love them cause that's why i like them and what i wanted them to be. i love freaks and monsters and big burly guys. (i bara fangirl more than bishi)

i will 100% admit i love ugly things. so yeah my dolls are ugly. big side burns, hairy legs. scragly facial hair, techinocolor eyes, pointed teeth, bushy eyebrows from hell, scars, tatoos, peircings, bug and fish like apendages, gaint eyes and big mouths, metal noses, popeye arms, bum hair, chest hair, the works. i love it all. and to me those things are attractive cause it's different and unique (and besides the obvious sci-fi stuff) realistic. so that's what i like. (i want fat dolls!!!! XD atleast give us some pudge and love handles.)

i do not like high fashion models with to much makeup, and so skinny they look worse than the starving people in war zones. to me that's gross and ugly. :yuck:

so i guess in a nutshell yes my dolls are my perception of good looking however i know they are fug to everyone else. XD. and so proud of it.

19. Hmmm, this topic has got me thinking in a strange way. Most of my dolls thus far have been said to look like my first love. LMAO! My best friend and mum have both said that one doll 'looks like X' and my best friend said it about another of my dolls and my newest that I'm saving for. I personally don't see it at all and said "You always say that!"
      Last night I was doing some photoshopping for my new doll and it struck me 'Oh my god! New doll looks like X' and I laughed my head off for about 5 minutes. I thought of this topic. Maybe in some way half of my dolls do represent my ideal beauty, or at least my first ideal beauty when I was 15. lol

20. My doll definately reflects my own ideals of beauty. Dark, elegant, yet sweet. Dark doesn't have to mean gaudy or tacky punkish clothing, or anything depressing. I think she's a reflection of me in a way, and I love my doll to pieces. I think she is beautiful, even though she has flaws. She's basically my "model' idea of what I find beautiful fashion wise.