1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do your dolls reflect your own ideals of beauty?

May 11, 2009

1. I think in a way mine will. I like many things, and on other peoples dolls I'm drawn to fantasy the most! However. when I have to choose for mine, I'll always go for plain and normal. I love normal clothing that anyone could where, I love natural hair colours, and natural faceups. I like this in real life too. Though I think many different styles are beautiful, I still prefer plain and casual.

As for what others are talking about, going beyond style and to body shapes and such, I don't think my taste in dolls reflects what I like. Personally I don't see any one type of person as more beautiful, as an artist I love seeing people of all types, and I love the idea of painting them all!

2. I'm still waiting for my doll to arrive, but in a way yes I've imposed what I think is beautiful onto him. I think it would be a hard thing not to do when finishing up a dolls' look. Although I am a bit disappointed, because I want to find more heavy set looking dolls that have the same care and thought put into them as the more average body weight or thin type. I also want a more muscular female doll. I've seen images of one of tumblr before, but it didn't list where it was bought from sadly.

3. Absolutely. I know I definitely like dolls that reflect my taste in people and whose looks I admire. I really love that aspect of the hobby, it shows you that people actually don't just like that one trendy "look" you'll see in the magazines or whatever. Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder and it's great to actually see that.

4. I suppose the three I'm getting faceupped are all beautiful to me: Rina in a very stark way, with her black and white colour scheme, Balik in dark purple with galaxy blushing, and Tacet in dramatic pastel goth style. They're all very different, but I consider them all beautiful!

5. I think yes. My first girl is away for a faceup right now, so hopefully she will be beautiful upon her return lol. But yeah I think its hard to love something you don't consider beautiful in its own way. Like something might not be the standard traditional beautiful, but I think that if you love something it makes it beautiful to you. So some people may not like gothic makeup, or scars, or bright bold colors, or crazy mods, but I say to each their own, and if you think it's awesome then who cares. I think all of my girls, once they all get here and get their faces, will be beautiful to me. But I don't think they would be the standard of what I think is beautiful, because I love seeing all sorts of different customizations!

6. I have to say that my collection has an overwhelming amount of Iplehouse female dolls which is surprising because when I started this hobby, I was positive that I wanted to have only male dolls.

The reason why I ended up with a lot of Iplehouse female dolls is because their bodies are more natural looking in design, and therefore more aesthetically pleasing to my eyes.

7. well they're forever young, unlike me! But otherwise I go for a face or a clothing style I like - or some dolls embody a side of me which I can't express in real life.

8. Yes indeed. I feel my dolls are reflections of what I find beautiful. Especially with the darker they get. What with Dollzone Freddy coming to me soon, who is quite macabre but angelic in features. I love the "sad little angel" look on dolls, whether male or female. The petite bodies, large eyes, and delicate faceups are what draw me in the most, probably because of my childhood attraction to my 1.5ft porcelain dolls I used to own. I'm a sucker for any doll that looks innocent and gloomy. I think the mixture of gloom/melancholy and cuteness is my version of beauty.

As far as the other question, I'm sorta mixed, but here're my thoughts. If you have a character in your head that you've been dreaming up for years and finally decide to shell into a doll, it doesn't matter if they're ugly or not. If you don't like what they look like, chances are they were not very close to you to begin with. I have some very, very "ugly" characters in my novels that I'd love to have as dolls some day, but I would never outright call them ugly because I personally made them, and that itself makes them beautiful in their own rights. So I find it almost impossible (aside from perhaps a few exceptions,) to make a doll into an ugly character that you don't like. I feel the motivation to make said doll would never actually exist. If you don't like something, it doesn't hold your interest long enough to come to fruition. Then again I suppose there is the idea of making a character you thought would be a good doll and having the project backfire on you, but I don't tend to see that happening too often.

9. pretty much yes...I know that I choose to buy dolls that are beautiful in my eyes or have certain feature that I qualify as beautiful. I haven't tried to shell any character into dolls yet which in my opinion will have more to do with character than aesthetic beauty.

10. Absolutely yes. Dolls have a very strong visual appeal and that's how I personally build an attachment, if I find my dolls beautiful then I'm satisfied, the same goes for my characters. Now, what's considered beautiful is immensely vague in my opinion. I love plump lips and narrow eyes, dreamy expressions and features with strong attitude. Masculinity, femininity, hell even androgynous features reflect the same feeling for beauty. Imperfections are amazing, going from small scratches to gore, skin pigmentation, different eye colours, handicaps and so much more - all of it is what makes a character or a doll more intriguing and more real.
      If I would shell an character that doesn't optically appeal to my tastes? Probably not, because I don't have any and I highly doubt I ever will. All my characters and dolls are their own reflections of beauty in their own way, at least in my eyes :'D.

11. i personally prefer my doll to express a feminine beauty that really speaks to me. i like a delicate feel to her.

12. I really like realism, and that makes a doll look beautiful to me. I like unconventional features (angular cheekbones, prominent chins, wrinkles, small eyes, etc.). I think the more distinctive a sculpt, the more attractive to me it is.

13. I never really thought about it this way until i saw this thread. Half my dolls are some shade of tan ranging from what loo!ks like dark NS to dark brown. And most of them have dark hair. When my dolls were Barbies that was what I preferred then, too. They have a range of eye colors both natural and not. Most of my dolls were not meant to fit pre-existing characters, so mostly it's more like "ooh pretty!" or "ooh cute!" or one of the previous and "ooh different!" So I have several elves, a few fairies, and a Dollzone half-fish girl Though I prefer them to not all look sweet and innocent. For example, I got my first Real Puki because she has fangs. And a few of the others look like they would be charming and friendly, but would smack anyone who tries to take advantage of them.

14. I'd say style more than beauty. The way I dress them is in a way that I wish humans dressed everyday and the exact opposite of how I dress. But I just love seeing lacy, frilly clothing on them. Sometimes OTT kawaii, sometimes very modest and reserved, but I love that I have the ability to switch it around.

15. X

#395 Spuggey, May 25, 2017
      Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    16. Basically yes,
      I only get a doll if she appeals to me visually and if i know where i want to place her storywise. Tho i prefer a more real looking doll than something 'barbie' looking like. Just because my dolls are mostly more 'innocent' and 'elegant/cute' characters :'D
      At least it is my favorite for me personally.

17. Yes and no. All the dolls I own are here because I thought they were absolutely gorgeous. BUT, no the doll hobby does not currently feature most of my ideals of beauty, the scope is rather limited. Especially since I have a bit of a thing for solid mature men.

18. Kind of. I'm shelling characters so I think it matters more that they fit what I imagine the character looks like in my mind rather than they meet my standard of beauty. But I I wouldn't buy a doll I didn't like the look of, so I guess it does boil down to whether or not I like how they look.

19. This goes for me as well.

20. I do like long hair on guys but pretty much everything else in my Ludvig is not included in my male beauty ideal. I don't like muscular male bodies in real life, for example.