1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do your dolls reflect your own ideals of beauty?

May 11, 2009

1. Since I pick dolls and then create a character for them, I have to admit I get drawn in by aesthetics more and select based on what's attractive to me. My personal beauty standards are too broad to be reflected adequately by dolls though-- including muscular women and petite grown men, for example. For the most part I keep the two separate, since I enjoy dolls as pretty things whereas people draw beauty from being alive and real. However, lately I do find myself drawn to sculpts and faceups with lifelike detail, such as Ringdoll's crying Mona.

2. My dolls are my ideal of beautiful dolls. In general, my dolls are youthful looking, and part of their beauty is their youth and enthusiasm for life (their doll lives, that is). If I saw a person who looked like them, I would probably find them beautiful. My dolls are mostly anime esthetic though, and I don't think I would be very likely to see people who look like them.

I don't think I idolize celebrities very much! I can't think of anyone that I really follow any more.

I do have one doll that I find sort of unattractive, but I gave him a really tragic and pathetic backstory, and now I empathize with him a lot and don't want to part with him. I never planned to buy a doll for his minor character.

[​IMG]
      Ithamar (Dollzone Wing Elf).

Even if a person or a doll is unattractive by others' standards, you are happy to see their faces every day if you love them.

Linda S.
      galatia9

#402 galatia9, May 27, 2017
      Last edited: May 27, 2017
    3. Lmao for me it's a 50/50 because I choose my dolls and style them how I would like but eventually they begin to have this individuality about them that I can't interfere which makes them beautiful to me so yes I would say yes for me

4. .

#404 Gintsumi, May 27, 2017
      Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
    5. Yes ; I love somethings of some people, or imagine somethings I found beautiful but don't want pepole look at me and have some criticies.. So I do it on my doll.

6. In my opinion, my dolls do reflect my own ideals of beauty. It is a showcase of my physical and personality attraction and to some extent they reflect my style because some of my boys' clothes made me wish I could have them in real life, lol.

7. more like the ideals in anime. There needs to be more anime masculine heads that aren't just mature and straight nosed but then pointy chinned at the bottom, or give us a knuckle chin with starved male model look

8. I admit that I am obsessed with beauty...and that pretty much all of my dolls express my notion of idealized beauty. I like people with big melting brown eyes, and long dark curls, and golden brown skin, so , yeah, that is pretty much what my dollies look like! I am a total Iplehouse fan, because those dolls are GORGEOUS!

9. All dolls reflect my ideals of beauty, since I have very low standards. but yes. my dolls are all how i wish i was- long tamed hair, and emotional faces. None of that is me, but it is what I desire to be. My opinion on others' dolls is different, I love all dolls. Even if most think a doll is ugly, I love them. I just think how they could be improved without changing their uniqueness.

10. For me at least I can say that my boy does reject some of the ideas I had for him. Though in my opinion, thats their way of talking and whatever my baby doesnt want, simply goes because thats what he wants and i would never wanna make him uncomfortable.

11. I haven't actually received my first doll yet... But when I do she's going to dress up just like me with lots of pretty dresses and pastels so I guess my dolls will reflect my ideal beauty standard, but I think I would keep a doll that I find unattractive and even know this probably sounds weird, I kinda would feel bad they look ugly so I would probably give them more attention :whee:

12. My dolls are beautiful in their own ways, but they don't exactly reflect my standards of beauty. If I met, for example, my souldoll girl in human form, I would find her interesting to look at... but beautiful? ummmmmm.... probably not, no. I borrow her aesthetics from people I see around town and find myself intrigued by, which isn't quite the same thing. She's not unattractive, but she'd definitely not my idea of drop dead gorgeous.

13. For me it's half your own ideals and half the character you have in mind for the doll. One can be more restricting than the other, but I think their combination works wonders in the originality of each doll.

14. Yes, absolutely! I suppose they embody traits that I find attractive, be it the fashion sense of the clothes they wear or the kind of face-up they have. I doubt I would want a doll if it did not reflect my beauty standards. The visual appeal would not be there. Even if it is a character doll, I would combine my own ideals with the character look to further the attractiveness of that doll.

15. I believe that my dolls reflect more of my ideal aesthetic than my ideals of beauty, mainly because they aren't meant to look real to me. I recently found that I would like to give my dolls unrealistic qualities: perfect hair, jewelled or unreal-looking eyes, clothes that are meant to always look perfect because they don't actually live in them like humans do. In other words, they should always look perfect to me. I'm often cautious about showing my dolls to other people because I don't think they match my image of what a perfect doll should look like yet.:sweat

However, humans can't and aren't meant to be perfect. I would like to think that if I found someone somewhat attractive and beautiful I would like their "perfect" as well as "unperfect" sides. I can't really do that with my dolls.

16. In my mind, I think my dolls are the most beautiful ones out there. I can look at and appreciate and even totally fall in love with someone else's doll, but at the end of the day, mine are what is perfect to me and I wouldn't trade their slightly crooked eyebrows, Chipped noses, uneven eyeliner, for the most perfect faceup in the world.
      That is the beauty of dolls, our doll worlds can look how ever we want them to.

17. I would absolutely say that all my dolls are chosen based on aesthetic. Though since I so often buy second hand I am always looking to what I could do to make a dolly look completely new and different.

That said, two of my dolls are quite old and my favourite has mellowed into a fairly [evenly] yellowed state. Another has a chip on his nose and really needs a new faceup. I love them all anyway and still find them absolutely lovely to look at.

18. No. I have a whole little group of characters to shell, who reflect all sorts of different ages, styles and looks. I'm trying to mirror what you see walking about in Atlanta at Dragon Con, if you will. So some of my dolls are my ideal type (EID Bichun, for instance) but most aren't.

19. Oh yes. I love older man with beards maybe a light tanish colour and woman with curly hair with a feminin look. And historic clothes. Red and black hair.
      My dolls resemble all of that especially the beards. Except my two tinys and my FID Leonard have beards.

And my boyfriend has also a beard. (And he is 8 years older.)

I just love beards.

20. They probably will