1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do your dolls reflect your own ideals of beauty?

May 11, 2009

1. Not completely, but close to.

2. Sort of? A lot of my dolls have big noses or acne or asymmetrical features... but the modelesque, airbrushed, "perfect" image that I see in magazines and on TV all the time has sort of become grotesque to me, and I find it horribly ugly. So I try to stray from that image as much as possible with my dolls.

3. My dolls are like the person i want to be (outer appearance)

Long hair, beautiful face, the character.

It's the person i want to be and can't be (or at least not even trying to)

Like my recent doll angel philia sayoko!
      I'm attracted to angel philia by how sexy they are often shown as or even times where they can just be a normal beautiful asian girl.

4. Kinda?
      I have dolls that are objectively, by modern beauty standards, very attractive, but the dolls I love the most have "imperfect" features. I tend to prefer bodies and faces that are very against beauty standards (Modern Western Ones, anyway). I like larger frames and crooked noses, I like women with big figures (not even "sexy hourgasses", but like, tummy rolls and cellulite) and I like men with funny-shaped ears and crooked teeth. And I like bodies that aren't any sort of gender or physical ideal. I'm all about individual humans individual features being their most attractive and beautiful features.

5. In a lot of ways, yes, I generally have dolls that are aesthetically what I idealize or would like personally. Others I still want to make look beautiful but are more centred around a fantasy theme like faerie/merfolk.

6. I prefer non-human monsters and cartoony sculpts. There's really no crossover for my preferences in relation to humans, but I do tend to veer away from what most people would deem to be conventionally attractive.

7. I think my dolls do reflect what I view to be attractive, but my dolls are very varied in their appearance with a mix of skin tones including fantasy, different hair colours/styles and eye colours. I do like all my dolls to be very feminine and pretty though and tend to dress them that way too. I also have a small collection of vintage dolls and love their imperfections as it’s part of their story.

8. Not really. My dolls are kind of conventionally pretty, but that's not what I personally hold beautiful. I like rougher features.

9. Yes. I admittedly style my dolls after fashions, tropes, and characters that I’m attracted to. I find it easier to become attached to things that are pleasant to look at, after all.

10. Definitely.
      I dress all my dolls in overly frilly clothes, victorian or rococo dresses. Just the stuff I can't wear to the office. lol
      Still hoping to get one of those over the top hairdos(the kind Marie Antoinette worn) one day, and put that on my doll.
      To me, that's what these dolls are for, you make them what you want to make them. Even if I create a character for my doll, I'd change her personality and appearance around as I see fit. It all depends on how I feel that day really.

Now that I think about it, all my dolls have(or will have) blond hair and amber(light brown eyes), I wanted that kind of combination for myself for ages. But still, nothing is set in stone, my dolls can have different colour hair based on what I feel like that day again lol

11. I think mine are definitely are my view of beauty. I don’t have any characters for my dolls, so I just style them to look beautiful from my perspective. A lot of times I prefer cute over edge, and light skin over dark skin, but then again that’s because I was raised in an Asian household(not trying to say dark skin isn’t beautiful but just a personal preference).

12. if I made a character that I loved deeply but was really unappealing looking (not pretty or even cool in an alien way), I would not turn it into a doll.
      I only buy dolls I find visually interesting. It can be my ideal man/woman, but it can also be something I find really cool without actually considering it attractive.
      And sometimes it's like "I want sculpt diversity and ALSO some really creepy demon eyes!"

I dunno my beauty standards are pretty vague to begin with? :lol:

13. I mean, probably. When I first started looking for a doll, I was put off by the extremely thin builds of most dolls until I found a few indie dollmakers who sculpt dolls with wider hips and thicker thighs. Now those are my dream dolls!

14. Yes they do. I love beauty, and even my favorite OCs must all look beautiful to a big extent. I only go for slender and graceful dolls that reflect the beauty I yearn for, I might sound shallow I know, but its just my taste.

15. Oh, for sure! All of my dolls are beautiful children (even the skeleton and the wolf) but as far as humans go Lorina and Ilari have two of the phenotypes I find prettiest (albinism for Ari, dark skin & hair + blue eyes for Ina) and all of them have a slim and delicate look (especially the skeleton, lol). The story they're from was even altered to make excuse for all of the Bambicrony Emilys I have floating around cause she's got the perfect little baby face and I love her.

16. If you're shallow then I am too! I love beauty and making my dolls as beautiful and romantic looking as I can. Except for Dane,I want to make him as acary and creepy as possible. But the rest of them have long flowing hair or really big hair,lots of jewelry and big frilly dresses.

17. Yes absolutely! I’m about as far removed physically from my latest doll I have ordered as you could be, Popovy Sister’s Tawny Owl and I think she is perfection!

I do have one doll that is not my idea of beauty but is cute and appealing facially.

I want to say it may be a sign of body dysmorphia that my idea of beauty is completely different to how I look but how I would like to ( as if you could choose! but that’s what’s great about our dolls, we can!) I am not in anyway making light of body dysmorphia I think probably many of us have ongoing issues with the way we look but there is great satisfaction (to me) in seeing my idea of perfection in a doll.

18. Sometimes so sometimes so... I create my Dolls after character out of my story's and sometimes they reflect my ideal and sometimes not at all.

19. That's a difficult question. I don't buy things that are ugly - why would I want to surround myself with ugly things?
      So in a way my dolls represent my idea of 'what I like to look at' - but some of them are 'pretty', while others are 'interesting'.

20. In a way, I think so, but it leans towards the creative side. My doll reflects the ideal aesthetic that I like and always look for and i'm pretty picky about it. Thing is it was an unexpected love at first sight and I didn't know the sculpt is much better in person, so that's a plus.