1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do your dolls reflect your own ideals of beauty?

May 11, 2009

1. The dolls I've more recently obtained do. I bought a Lutz delf second hand and bought a different body to better match the style of faceup she came with, so I guess that actually started that pursuit. Body shape/style, face shape, hair and eye color as well as clothing styles all suit my tastes. But I don't see anyone doing the opposite of what they like when this hobby costs so much...

2. I work on it, all my dolls are hybrids, because I like small breasts and magnificent hips of girls, and guys are all tall, medium build, I don’t like too thin bodies ...
      and if I don’t like something in their face, then I make small modifications to the lips or nose.
      Therefore, you can say all my dolls correspond to my ideals of beauty

3. The way I think about these dolls has changed quite a bit through the years. No longer do they have 'characters' in the traditional sense of the word, with a long bio, when they were born, what their hobbies are etc. Instead, they've become archetypes cirled around the circus-theme. As such, the way I style them (or am going to), is also very abstracted. They have a very 'theater costume' look to them.

So do they reflect my ideals of beauty? No. They are far too stylized for that. But they do reflect my appreciation of craftsmanship.

4. I'm a very bad judge of what makes another person attractive. Most faces read to me as plain, maybe cute. Stylized images, like many BJD molds, are easier for me to read as attractive.

5. I have one doll, a resinsoul Mei, and I think she definitely reflects my view of beauty. She's angelic with big eyes and I've made her up to be feminine and sparkly :) I love femininity, but sometimes I feel uncomfortable so I kinda dress her how I would if I had more courage

6. not ashamed to say that they do:kitty2
      it feels like im letting go of a friend now that i have to sell them...

7. I have limited interest in beautiful dolls. And my dolls are not beautiful, with exceptions.
      Two that are supernaturally being get to have classical, beautiful bjd looks. But the others are bruised and dirty, the defects of their sculpts accented when I can. I even gave one of them smallpox scars.
      But that's a reflection of my aesthetic I guess. Beauty is everywhere and forced upon us as a major virtue... Which is annoying when you're not too pretty naturally. So why should my dolls be any better than me? :sneaky

8. i feel it's a 50/20 things, a lot of my beauty standards are mirrored off where i grew up so tallish, thin, pale white skin small nose small lips and a doll like image, in the end it's what most my dolls fall under as dolls for the most part are meant to be perfect but the idea of breaking norms also gets me giddy, i love odd fashion odd looks anything imperfect so my standards are like day and night and i feel like my dolls tend to reflect both either with aesthetics or the stories ive given them

9. I usually prioritize choosing dolls I find aesthetically pleasing and then building characters around that over buying dolls for characters I've already 100% made, so I think so, yes.

10. I think they are all beautiful but that isn’t what my main focus on them is. I like them to look like they spend a lot of time in natural or rural settings. That may be a bit of wistfulness on my part. I usually want to be outside and far away from civilization. Anyway, when I look at them I get the same feeling I get when I look at pictures of landscapes. :)

11. I won't buy a doll if I think it's ugly, but, "I could give this one an interesting faceup," and, "I have the perfect character idea for that one," will win out over my personal beauty standards every time.

12. 1000%! my main doll is a reflection of what i’d love to look like but cant for many different reasons, i think thats why i find it easier to make females rather than males since thats the style im used to!

13. Dolls reflect what I consider beautiful, what I would like to see more and more often. They are all (I hope I can collect all) a collection of those traits that I really love, the clothes that I like or would like to have. If I had a character with some kind of damage or mutilation, he would still remain beautiful to me.

14. So far, some do, some don't but most I am still not sure about because they were bought to let the potential of the bare sculpt ’speak’ as an exercise in character creation and creativity. And some of the latter are still mute, dammit! Since I'm re-activating my doll hobby, I'm bookmarking this thread to revisit next year to perhaps be able to answer it a bit more fully with a year’s worth of follow work freshly behind me, I think it’s a really good topic to mull over and discuss!

15. I think my standard of beauty is that everyone is beautiful and the more I expand my doll family I wanna make all my dolls unique and distinctly different.

16. I'm more on the side of non-convential dolls, so I love messy hair, large eyebrows, droopy eyes, piggy noses, messed-up teeth, scars, moles, you name it on dolls. Whilst perfect dolls are gorgeous too, I find beauty in non-perfection. :aheartbea

17. I only have dolls I find attractive. But would definitely have a less attractive one if fits a character I love

18. I think they do. A lot of my dolls represent the kinds of images I am drawn to. It’s strange because when I was younger I became interested in dolls because I saw the pictures of them in the old “Gothic and Lolita” and “Kera” magazines. And I wanted a doll dressed in that style. However its strange because I still wear lolita but I don’t want a doll dressed up like that. However I definitely am drawn to the romantic gothic victorian vampire look which I love!!!

19. I would say so since I pick dolls not only on the character I have in mind, but also for their sculpted features. While I find many dolls with airbrushed skin and my opinion of what a perfect nose, mouth, eyes, and lips to be beautiful, there is definitely a degree where they become too perfect if you get what I mean. I don't mind imperfections and like the idea of piercings, tattoos, and scars as long as they don't become too wild. It adds more to the doll's story and brings them to life a bit more. I really like fantasy-like dolls and adding battle scars or something really adds to the fantasy element, but also makes them seem more real.

20. I guess I never really considered that, mainly because I view dolls differently than I do humans. But on top of that, I have to say that I don't really feel any sense of "wow, that's beautiful" at humans? At least not physically. I feel it for art, like landscape paintings, and dolls, as I consider them at least somewhat an art piece, but not for people. Then again, I'm on the asexual spectrum, so my opinion is a little skewed : p