1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do your dolls reflect your own ideals of beauty?

May 11, 2009

1. I think boys look good when they're slightly feminine and girls look good when they have a masculine edge. So all my boys look feminine and my planned girl has one of the male heads that wouldn't normally be used for a girl in common doll gender switches. My ideals match I guess.

2. Nice tomboyish girl with cute face.
      Definitely yes! She is based on a character, but this character is my ideal of female beauty.
      ...Or it's my own beauty i'm talking about? Well, I guess it's pretty much the same.

And I don't think I have any ideals of male beauty at all... Well, I'm not going to have boy dolls anyway.

3. I think so, yes. So far, all the dolls I've seen that I plan to get are ones that I think are beautiful in some way. I'll be the first to admit that I've seen some molds that I simply don't care too much for. Are they reflections of my own ideals of beauty? Probably. Most likely. But I think that has more to do with an aesthetic appeal rather than an ideal of beauty in real life.

I think that's part of what makes these dolls so amazing. They're a way of expressing your ideals or creativity in a way that maybe isn't possible in real life. I know that if I saw some of the dolls I really like as real people I probably wouldn't find them as attractive. Real life is simply different by definition.

4. I'm not sure.. I have mixed thoughts on physical perfection = beauty and Uniqueness = beauty.

I will sometimes add something off. (Blurred blind eye, a scar, messy hair, or a sick looking face up) Just so they have a "story", but most of the time I make them look like what I think is pure perfection, then after I will ADD one or two "flaws". Come on.. being perfect is kind of boring. Uniqueness is truly beautiful to me but.. so is a proportionate perfect symmetrical face and body.

Overall. I guess my dolls are what I think beauty is in both ways, even though they can cancel each other out. (no scars = beautifully perfect, tons of scars = beautifully unique) I think a ratio of perfection and flaw is the key on what I think is beauty.

:?

5. Mine absolutely do, my boys are femme because that's what I find beautiful in real life and there's just not enough of it LOL. I also gravitate towards punk, tough looking girls rather than model types cause that too is what I find attractive.

6. Jup, very much... I wouldn't like them as much if they wouldn't reflect my personal ideal of beauty.
      They're also not perfect models or everyone's dream but they're mine. :)

Laoky

7. yes indeed! i never trought of them this way but definitively yes!

(wich may be creepy said from someone who plans and owns only scarred/handicapped/dysfunctional dolls...)

8. No one would like to have that is not pleasing to their eyes, but there lies the difference. Beauty lies the eye of the beholder. To an individual a doll might be beautiful while in someone else's eyes it might be ugly. It depends on the individual.

9. This is easy for me. Since I ascribe to the "*gasp* He's GORGEOUS!" school of buying, yes, most of my purchases reflect my ideals of beauty. ;)

I have a few "omg he's CUTE" purchases thrown in there too. :lol:

10. Well truthfully, when you think about it, if you are having to pay for something, why would you get something you dont like?

So overall yes, i do believe that each individuals BJD reflects their own personal idea of beauty.

11. Well, my ideas of beauty don't really confirm to the standard pretty girl or model type. I like faces with some quicks, that have shown something of life in them, some character & emotion. So given that, yes, my dolls do tend to confirm to my ideas of beauty, In fact I've sold several dolls because they were simply pretty without any real attitude or quirks.

I'm not into the creepy or grotesque or "mangled" dolls as I don't find those things appealing. There's too much violence in real life for me to want to reflect it in my dolls. I do however like Goth face-ups & multiple piercings & tatoos. I find those a sign of creativity & of using one own's body as a canvas. So I'd like those things on my dolls as well.

12. Definatly. I am obsessed with art in general, my house if full of my favorite artists prints and the dolls I like would definatly fit right in. They are for sure an extension of what I consider beautiful.

13. My dolls... are what I find beautiful in dolls.

Real women, I like curves, and thighs, and silky cellulite. I like strong jaws that show character and dependability and natural unplucked eyebrows, I prefer soft fuzzy unshaved legs to skin scraped bare or with the hair ripped out, and I have no problem with natural facial hair. I am so stereotypically lesbian. :)

My dolls are more like fairies, and what I'd find attractive in a fairy, than matching my human aesthetics in the slightest. But I still think I go for "character", whether the character is sweet or stern, rather than for "pretty". Too much unrelieved pretty bores me.

14. My dolls definitly reflect my ideals of beauty. I think my DT Seola is the most beautiful thing ever while my boyfriend thinks she is just hideous. Just a little example :)

15. Personally, I'd say our dolls (I only have one, but I plan more) are our way of exploring different beauty aesthetics. To say we have an "idea of beauty" suggests that we have this secret mental picture, of this perfect person with each feature conforming to our ideal. However, our dolls - which must be appealing to us in some way, and I really think to many of us a major part of that appeal is their beauty, whatever form it takes (uh, see all posts in thread, yes) - seem to vary within our collections; for example, I would not want three very similar dolls, even if they were all beautiful to me.

So, personally, I'd say that this desire for variety shows something about how we consider beauty. I'd rather see a variety of interesting, unique characters that each have their own beauty that several dolls who I consider the perfect, best, most beautiful form of person/model. It also enables us to explore different styles; for example, many people have Lolita dolls, because they find the style beautiful but don't want to model it themselves. My personal conclusion is that we can explore things through dolls, without having to do it on a human scale.

16. I am drawn to dolls that resemble myself and I wonder if that means I am vain... I don't have a bjd yet but it is the case with all of my favorites. I don't really understand it. @__@ Maybe I like the idea of a version of me that doesn't sweat/wake up with a zit/have to cut hair/etc., and is not scared of the camera.

Kind of the opposite of what the person above me said.

17. My dolls wear the styles I can't wear. Either because it's too expensive, doesn't suit me or just because it's so funky I can wear it only to con's and stuff.

18. I read about a study they did where they took photos of a group of people, distorted the face in every photo so it was ugly and unrecognisable, and showed the pictures back to the test subjects. Almost invariably, the subjects picked their own 'uglified' face as the most beautiful of the set ^^ Apparently, we all find distorted versions of our own image to be the most attractive.

19. I've appreciated a lot of dolls that don't fit into my ideals of aesthetic beauty. I really enjoy the avant garde, and seeing artists do it masterfully is such a treat (even if I might never want to add that particular sculpt to my brood). You see the care that people put into their creative work and it's something I really adore. As for my own, some of them fit my aesthetic ideals while others do not--it's the versatility in a sculpt that I really enjoy. Some sculpts have grown on me while others were something I loved right off the bat. :)

20. I'm more interested in character and expression than I am in beauty. Beauty, in and of itself, is rather boring to me. I find most of the bjd molds to be quite lovely, but the ones that really attract my attention are the dolls that are expressive, or the ones who seem to have distinct personalities because of their designs and customizations. One of the aspects of this hobby that I love is seeing how people add personality to their dolls. To me, that's what sets this hobby apart from other sorts of doll collecting.