1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do your dolls reflect your own ideals of beauty?

May 11, 2009

1. wow, thanks, thats really interesting!

2. As for me, what i deem beautiful in a doll, might not be what the same as the beauty in real life. in dolls, i look for beauty in forms of perfections while in real life it i would avoid extremely perfect people which i would have to fight so hard to keep around. Dolls satisfy the image of perfection i have inside of me, but they sometimes also have imperfect qualities that imagine them to have as part of their character simply because i know that however hateful i made them out to be, they would still be my faithful dolls. Loving what you wouldnt love in real life is just another fun and exciting part of owning a doll..

3. My dolls are through and through what I find beautiful, from looks to personality. But only one I can really say would be "standard" beauty. I'm always curious about opinions on such things and have asked people who aren't into dolls who they find the most attractive.

My Souldoll Jinwoo seems to be the stunner of my group by a landslide! Full lips, sexy, lazy eyes and a toned masculine body. Ladies love Jinwoozle, as we say. He'll be on a senior delf body here soon, I can assume those abs will only up his popularity.

Personally, I think my Elfdoll Sooah boy is just gorgeous, I love his curious almond eyes and pouty lips. But he's intended to be thin and graceful, his planned body of a Supia girl body modded into a boy looks rail thin and unfed to some. Though my friend who loves the show "Top Model" thinks he's supermodel hot, haha!

Moral of my rant here is beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I feel those of us with dolls often find beauty in the most unlikely of places.

4. Mine, reflectes exactly my view of what men beauty should be. I'm not interested in Feminine dolls.. I found them little bit .. unperfect. The clothes rendering is not the same.. Clothes suit perfectly on men bodies.
      I only like androgynes guys (in real life like Gackt, Hyde or Lee Jun Ki..). So I want to retrieve that perfection in my dolls ^^

5. Well, my ideal of beauty changes periodically so it's almost impossible for me to state what is beautiful or what not in dolls. Lately I'm fond of musclebound men with gentler, boyish face, that's why for me now IP Evan is the ultimate doll. I love how this mold can be both powerful, yet soft... I guess it's like when they say "flies like a butterfly, but stings like a bee" (wait wait, I don't think this is actually refering to this situation, lol)!
      Lately, I've found myself being more and more "picky" on male dolls. I only like androginous boys from MSD size below, probably because in my mind, they'll always be teenagers. ^^
      As for the female dolls, I don't really like the gorgeous diva-like molds. I think that's because I don't appreciate that same look in real life as well, therefore I don't want an avatar of the type of feminine appeal I despise around me, I guess. *laughs*
      So I'm always looking for a mold which is undoubtely pretty (well... hard to find one which isn't, right? :P), which is womanly but with some clearly juvenile traits. A young woman who still keeps her girly freshness alive on her visage.

6. I like pretty, all my dolls have to pretty. I can admire some of the more funky dolls and the animals and such but they don't make my heart thump. I like eyes with pupils and pretty faces. My taste may evolve to something more unconventional who knows but for now that is what I like.

7. I'd definitely say that they do.

Back before I knew what ball joint dolls were (or anything about visual kei, for that matter), I drew boys in things that weren't considered "gender appropriate". I've always enjoyed combining things that are considered feminine (like short shorts and mid drifts) with things that are considered masculine (combat boots, biker gloves, etc.).

When I discovered that there was a group out there that actually dressed beautiful dolls in similar clothing, I pretty much gleegasmed.

8. Absolutely. I don't even have a doll yet, but I want it to look just like me, only prettier and wearing cute, childish clothes that I'd likely be made fun of for wearing myself in public.

9. yes for sure! my doll is based on my beauty view and I will dress him by my will.......

10. my dolls certainly reflect my own ideals of beauty, the things that I desire but can never attain. That said I have rather divergent tastes and ideals, so each doll symbolises some aspects but not all....well except one of my dolls, he is the epression of all of my ideals of beauty on te physical plain, though certainly not the emotional or psychological or spiritual, in which he is totally corrupt.

11. Well I would never get a doll I thought was ugly, so there is always that. But also I am going to get a faceup with long thick eyelashes, which I love. I want my doll to be as beautiful as possible, and be everything I am not.

12. Not totally but they are getting there.

13. hrmm....My girl is definitely not ugly, but she isn't my ideal of beauty, either. I find her beautiful because of her personality, mostly, but I'm not planning on getting another doll that I don't think is gorgeous, because I honestly have a hard time loving her (though I would never think of selling her). It is kinda mixed for me, because I love individuality, which includes ugly, but I would never want an ugly doll...

14. Yep! All of my dolls are beautiful to me. Even their clothes are my favorite colors, (although I do like most colors). I like to think of my dolls as extensions of my inner self.
      As for the second part, I don't think I could ever own a doll that I don't consider attractive or appealing to me, I guess I'm just shallow when it comes to dollie looks. However, I do find certain flaws attractive that other people may not (for example I like noses that have a little bend on the bridge, or scars in the resin).

15. I love my dolls,they're my childrens for me

16. I think that I myself tend to be attracted to the "pretty" or "cute" aspect of some BJD, but at the same time, I recently saw a girl who had the loveliest doll, all done up with tatters and such. She was lovely. This to me is an issue of character, and I personally would love to see some of my favorite characters come to life as dolls, because to me, they reflect not necessarily ideal physical beauty, but some inward beauty that helps one to see into oneself that much more better.

17. I would say my love of BJDs and my dolls I own / have finished customising so far and the dolls that I pine for have more to do with varying aesthetic ideals than RL human physical ideals. Dolls that appeal to my particular love of certain gothic, fantasy & / or anime / manga aesthetics are the ones I crave the most.

18. I would have to say yes to that question because I definitely have a certain taste in BJD faces that I fall for, and it tends to be a similar look.

For the women, I like full lips, oval faces, and smokey eye makeup.
      I own an Iplehouse Silvia and a Soom Amber, and am genuinely falling for Souldoll's Chantal. My husband just rolls his eyes when I show him Chantal because he says it looks just like the doll that I have.
      For the men, I like larger noses and more angular, though thin, features.
      For example, I love Soom's Lazule, and my first male BJD is going to be a MnM of Jeremy Brett.

Of course, that is a generalization because I enjoy other features as well, but it's certainly a trend that I've noticed.

19. Funny, I had an opposite problem. The character behind my female MA is supposed to be less of a pretty girl and more of a strong woman, more androgynous than feminine. The doll, however, turned out to be almost too pretty, so now she is more conventionally beautiful than I'd originally planned. Oh well.

20. Yes ...all the way.