1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do your dolls reflect your own ideals of beauty?

May 11, 2009

1. I do believe that, as humans, we search for beauty, for perfection, so naturally I'm going to make my boy as pretty (er...handsome) as I can, because it appeals to me. But there are also imperfect dolls (like with gore mods and such) that I absolutely adore, and I think I'd like an imperfect doll like that. Not really ugly, just...imperfect.

2. Interesting twist on another thread...

I think my dolls reflect my ideals of beauty in some cases. In other cases they reflect my ideals of "interesting!" or "different!" or "Quirky!" -- I mean, it's hard to call a DZ Leo "beautiful" but he's just got the darnedest face that I love to bits.

The dolls I find beautiful tend to have longer, more ethereal-looking features regardless of gender so, yeah, I guess that's part of my ideals of beauty!

3. Personally it would really be impossible to love a doll that I think is truly ugly (be it outwardly or personality wise), but I have seen dolls that seem like they would be hard to love.For example how do you love or see the beauty in a character doll of Voldomort from Harry Potter,I personally wouldn't pay 400 dollars to make something like that, yet I have seen one that was perfectly done(maybe thats the beauty?). I just think that if I had something like that there would be no chance of bonding and no chance of me thinking it was beautiful no mater how perfectly it was done.

4. Yes, totally. I want my dolls to look like my drawings, and I only draw things I like, so it's a natural outcome, I guess. Even character dolls are characters that I feel are "beautiful" in some way (usually in looks), and that I relate to so deeply as to almost feel as if they were my own characters.

5. I think even if I had an ugly character and got a doll of them, the way they look would still be appealing to me. I wouldn't make a character that was just outright unappealing in every way, because nobody would like that kind of character. Even ugly characters need something attracting about their nature in order to be any good at all, and that would translate onto a doll.

Of course, if it was meant to be "ugly", it wouldn't be my ideal of beauty, even if I liked how it looked.

But right now my only doll is pretty much shaping up to fit my idea of perfect beauty. Well, I mean, there's a range of things I consider perfectly beautiful, and she doesn't fill ALL of it, but she fits into part of it.

6. Yes - although my ideal of doll beauty is not the same as my ideal of human beauty. I'd be horrified to see a human who looked like a bjd! o_0

My ideal of doll beauty is more closely tied with my ideal of beauty in anime/manga.

I could never own a doll that I didn't think was beautiful. Even if I got a scarred doll, it would be a scar stylized to flatter the doll's appearance, not a realistic disfigurement.

For me, a doll has to be pretty - having character or originality is a secondary consideration at best.

This is kind of funny, because I also collect antique toys and vintage teddy bears - and with those I have the mirror opposite in priorities. The old toys and bears that draw me have to be a little bit ugly, have signs of wear, imperfections, a sense of character and a story to tell. If they were still as perfect as they were when they were made, I would not be interested at all.

7. No.

When I first ordered my doll, I did plan to give her the type of beauty I consider ideal; but I started to change things about her, first one characteristic, and then another, until she became something altogether different from what I thought I wanted.

Of course I do not find her ugly, but she doesn't look like what I'd call my ideal of beauty. It is a different, stylized, dream-like kind of beauty, very far in every way from what I would consider ideal - from her hair color, to her eyes and clothes...

Hm, I hope this post is understandable :sweat

8. Yes, they mostly reflect the types I like but I wouldn't call that an ideal actually. Beauty comes in many forms, and I love different types and faces.
      Also, character first, prettiness after that. I would surely sacrifice a beauty to the personality if there was a choice to make.
      I would also create a character that is called ugly by common people but his face tells something important to me. Well, I did it already, a static doll, an old wrinkly necromancer.

9. Yes.

I only choose doll, which I like. If I search for dolls I only look for their aperance.^^
      My Dreamdoll (an OC of mine which is hardly in progress) is, I think so, the one type of human I really really like.... but besides him there are other types which I like too.
      But I have to say.... orginaly I don't like for example the color red, the boy I want have red hair andsince I started to like him I Love RED...@__@... perhaps I liked other types of human more than him but then it wen to this....
      in some facts my absoluteley Ideal is another one.....

...I probably like what I like, cause at the start I only like the shape, in the end I like the whole Doll.... they all changes me xDD

hope anyone can understand my statement^^''

10. Yes, if a girl like the F-18 girl in my avatar existed in real life, I'd so move heaven and earth to date her. :sweat That's my perfect idea of beauty, though I can appreciate beauty in many forms.

Since my dolls don't have the same sort of characters in the same way as you mentioned, I can't really reply to the second paragraph. :) I thought up characters specially to be these dolls based on what I thought looked cute on them. Example: I didn't imagine her character to have brown eyes, I had pictured blue for the character. But brown was much prettier with the hair, face-up and everything, so it fit into place and became perfection anyways.

11. YES!!!
      ALL of my dolls are made to "project my ideals of beauty." All of my dolls are pure in heart, spirit and mind, even my "bad guys" are bad to be good (vigilantes). My boy dolls are strong and manly and their characters are protective of the females. My girl dolls are very feminine and because they are protected they can live their lives free of worry. Some of my girl characters are ignorant to the evils of the world. But all of my boy dolls are savvy to it.

And, like you said, my dolls are not done up to look like supermodels or the like but their appearance and their characters DO represent my idealism and my fantasy of how the world should be.

12. I think that all dolls reflect our own ideas of perfect

13. I'd also say that my boy has his own sense of beauty.His character is pretty laid back so I think he looks best in casual clothes, but for another doll it could be different, like there are other dolls that I'm planing for that their characters girls or boys that would want to be more into fashion, but I would never love this boy less just because he doesn't look fasionable, because I think he's beatiful already.

14. I cannot said that

For sure , I choose my doll because they are beautiful for me but they don't reflect my own ideals of beauty really.
      It's just a meeting between the doll and me and even if she is not reflecting the absolute beauty I could imagine, she is the one I need.
      Sometimes beauty can be different as perfect beauty
      (humm .. I don't know if it's well understandable .. not sure .. hé hé)

15. Hmmm interesting question.

I think so. Maybe that's why I only have boy dolls, since I don't really think about females' beauty. And I tend to only buy the sculpts that are aesthetically pleasing to me.

I do have characters that are less than attractive, however, I don't think I would get them in bjd form. I ... wouldn't spend money on something that I think is unattractive if that makes sense. :sweat

16. I like this question.... And I think the answer is yes, for me. The dolls that I am attracted to also reflect my own emotions and/or longings....

17. Hmmm Yes, because I like the thin, kind of whimsy, fantasy-kind of beauty, as well as gentility and sweetness. But the nobility of a mold/doll makes them look beautiful to me too, so dolls like Mercutio are beautiful to me, and dolls like Miss Songra are gorgeous to me as well.

18. I guess not all of my dolls fit my definition of ideal beauty, but I think they are all beautiful none the less. I think black hair and pale skin is the most beautiful look (especially for women) and yet I only have one doll who fits this description. On the other hand, I really don't like blond hair and have 4 blond dolls and one with milky/silver colored hair (which gets mistakenly called blond all the time). My doll's looks fit their characters which might be why I have so many blonds (3 of my blond dolls are related to each other).

19. Some yes, some no. I sew commissions for a variety of BJDs so I have bought my dolls for different reasons. My first doll, RuRu, I bought because I thought she was absolutely gorgeous. Classic features, curvy but not unrealistic body. But my 2nd, AA San, was bought from a friend because he has a basic SD13 type body. Period. I do not care for his look at all, especially when he's near RuRu. But he's grown on me and I doubt I'd ever sell him.
      Then there's the MSD crowd. I have some like Yisol, Rosanne and Nabiya that I truly love. Endearing, sweet faces and youthful bodies. But there have been mistakes also. I have an American made MSD that will be replaced as soon as I find another doll I love the same size. She is very unattractive to me. And her "brother" has already been sold. Both were bought from friends to use as models and both were big mistakes. So eventually, my BJD family will reflect my ideal of beauty, especially when I finally can afford Berkut or one of his muscular buddies....

20. nope, they are beautiful as they are. just attracted to them as how one sees them.