1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

~*~Do Your Dolls Share Clothes?~*~

Jan 21, 2011

1. Some of my dolls can share clothes. I am a story writer. Each of my dolls is a shell for an original character. They are also almost all different sizes. Even though most of my boys are SD they are not all the same size of SD with the exception of Killian and NINI who are both JR Delf so many of the clothes don't fit multiple dolls within my collection. I do have some shirts that fit multiple boys however. As you said clothes don't come cheap and I have a limited amount of clothing. I try to make sure I have at least one outfit per doll that fits his personality. A "default" outfit almost. I don't feel like a character is complete until he has the perfect wig, eyes and at least one outfit and any accessory most important to him, whether that be a leather jacket or necklace or whatever. Other than that their daily wear just needs to fit their personality. Many of their clothes are somewhat interchangeable, especially shirts. I have a better idea of things they absolutely won't wear. Most of them like relaxed t-shirts and jeans so it is pretty easy. My hubby also collects dolls and one of his boys is the same size as a couple of my boys and I loan him clothes as well. His doll is not as "set" character wise so he just wears whatever I put on him. I always mean to buy more clothes but then get tempted by saving for a new doll and forget. Last year I wound up spoiling my MSD boy instead of shopping for my SD boys, so now he has the largest wardrobe of all and no one he is forced to share with since he is a size alone. My tinies are the same way since I have one boy and one girl in that size. I follow the rule of never dressing my dolls in clothes that don't suit their character. I can not imagine the character of the doll changing simply because of the clothing they were wearing. When clothes don't suit any of the dolls I have at home I usually wind up selling the clothes.

2. Out of what's about to be 5 dolls, no two are the same size, so they don't share clothes much at all! Surprisingly enough, though, my big girl (Delf Soony) shares a couple of pairs of shoes with my mini girl (DollsTown Seola). They're a tad big for my mini & a tad small for my large, but their styles are compatible so it's nice just to have one pair that they share between them. I have a few other things that can be shared between my standard and slim mini - stuff like hoodies and hats that don't mind being a bit snug or loose. And scarves! I have 2 or 3 scarves that I trade around between the 3 non-tinies. Sadly, my Puki really can't share anything - at least not until she can share hats with my incoming Mini Gem.

3. All of my dolls have one or two outfits that are almost exclusively theirs, but there's also a sizable communal wardrobe which they all share. Boots and shoes are communal too.

4. Currently my two boys share clothes. Partly because I haven't bought the clothes I want to buy, and partly because the things I've sewn work for either. My first doll has one shirt all his own, and my other has his own shoes. I think in the future there will be more "exclusives" for each of them, but with such limited selection they can't help but share right now ^^;

5. Mine all share within the same size. My clothes and shoes are even stored by size, and not by individual doll. Each of them have their own personality, but they are either sisters or best friends to each other, so there is enough room for some crossover. Only my boy really doesn't wear any of the girls things. He's too boyish and they are too girlish.

They do not swap wigs and eyes, though. They each have a set eye color and size and wig color and once I find a combo that works I generally don't change it or experiament with others even if other dolls could wear them.

6. Mine share clothes as long as they're similar sizes/ or fit.

7. Unfortunately, my babies can't share clothes, since one is MSD sized and the other is YoSD size, haha. It's kind of annoying, but con season's starting back up, so hopefully I can find some nice things or will have a booth to sell off bulk orders.
      In a way, my dolls are different, though, so I don't know if they'd share clothes beyond shoes or eyes even if they were the same size.

<3

8. Most of my girls share clothing. I find that I can amass more of a collection of interchangeable items for two rather than one. That said some things my Soom can wear that my Domuya can not due to size variations. There is also only a finite amount a Faun and a ballet dancer may share but thankfully accessories don't seem to care who they land on.

9. Mine share their shoes anytime because of “outfit combo”. Sometimes they share stockings. It’s only for the MSD part of my family and because they’re different in character and in body too, never they do share clothes safe for a few accessories.
      Within the SD part of my family sharing anything wouldn’t work :lol: Between a 70cm man, 60cm girl and another hoofed girl I have no chance :) same with my single tiny doll.

10. They boys sure do. I love mix and match. The girls though not so much.

11. Nope. For one it would be very difficult for my boys to share clothes given that very few of them are the same size. My minis are all entirely different sizes as DiM Happy boys are quite a bit taller than DoCs, and my DoCs can't either as they are now vastly different from each another as one has been modified with Angelheim hooves and was given a potbelly so he's too chubby to fit into standard clothes anyway. It's a similar story for my bigger dolls as two of them are more in the SD10 girl range at 55cm, so they can't share anything with the even bigger boys, one of which who will tower above the rest at 64cm.

And secondly, I really don't prefer it. Each doll I bring in is modelled ater a carefully and extensively written character, all of whom had a lot of effort put into them to make them different from one another and unique. Even when I thought I could share clothing, such as among my two shorter 55cms boys as they both have very quirky, oddball styles, it still ended up not being case for while they may share a similar taste in style, they're on opposite ends of the spectrum as to how it's presented (one is very girly, cute with lots of pink and the other more dreary with a terrible taste in matching). But I really don't mind this. While it makes wardrobe building slow since each item I buy will only be used by one so I have to be sure it is absolutely 100% fitting, it's more fun for me to have each doll with his own collection of clothing for himself.

12. So, from what I have been reading from your replies, I guess that most of you feel the same way I do..that your dolls do have their own stance in what fits them. hee hee..I was afraid that I was getting picky with the clothing so I'm relieved to know that I'm not the only one.

I do understand that for some also, if they are the same size--they share clothing. I might do that for my boys, but for the girls I'm not really sure. Ieanah is more of the conservative type, while Miriz is playful and child-like.

I'm really enjoying everybody's take on this. It's enlightening. :)

13. Several of my BJD share some clothes (When clothes match them) with some others, something really easy if they are basic clothes and the size is similar. Every of them has his/her own way of wearing clothes so even with same clothes the result looks different, always fitting the style of the character who is wearing it. I find this very useful and a good way of saving on clothes specially when the BJD you have are many.

14. none of mine share clothes. it's mainly due to size differences and genders. but the two that can share clothes will not becuase of differences in personality.

15. Some of mine do and some of mine don't. I dress them in different styles so mostly there's not a whole lot of overlap, but if I have an outfit that suits two different dolls they both wear it.

When I had two mature minis who wore pretty normal casual clothes that I mixed and matched they definitely shared clothes all the time. There were some pieces I only liked on one or the other but for the most part either one wore whatever.

16. Generally my dolls all share clothing (as long as they're the same size). I have a large crew. For each of them to have their own separate wardrobes would be soo expensive x__x'' I'm pretty picky too. I find I prefer plain pieces that can be worn with almost anything. Mix'n'match is the key ;) Accessories can really personalize an outfit too.

17. I will soon have 4 LTF girls and 2 LTF boys as well as 3 dolls from same size & company as well as my 2 Dollstown boys so clothes, wigs and shoes are very much shared. I will have only 3 dolls that will need special clothes for just each one of them. But due to the nature of their storylines they won't have many clothes to begin with.

18. Well, althought I do have characters and a story and all, for now they HAVE to share clothes.But they do have accesories or certin dresses or pants that they don`t share.

19. So far, yes, some share, some do not. Some are the only one of that size or that sex, so they can't share. Some have a certain style and flat out refuse to share. Wigs and eyes never get shared. They pretty much stick to those.

20. I own two minis (a boy and a girl) and two SDs (both guys). There is some sharing of clothes and wigs going on within those two pairs. It's like they're a family, and what's a family without hand-me-downs?