1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

DOD Shall--mixed feelings about her and DOD in general

Mar 18, 2006

1. I apologize to the original poster for this disagreement on their topic. I will not carry it any further as I can see this topic is heading in the "locked" direction and am going to nip it in the bud right now.

I hope, LisaMarie, that you get everything worked out with your doll, and I'm sorry about your dissapointment.

I will not reply again on this topic.

EDIT: (because I promised not to reply again xD; ) I also didn't realize she was from the earlier order period -- now I agree she should have been sanded. I apologize for that misunderstanding.

2. i thought Shall *was* supposed to come with glass eyes.... those green glass "only for Shall" eyes? did they only recently change it to acrylic? or was the glass only for the FS?

LisaMarie, i'm so sorry you aren't happy with your girl. i have three DoD minis, and i adore them all--granted i got them secondhand so i didn't deal with DoD directly, but i'm surprised at the handful of complaints i have heard recently regarding their services. of all the dolls i've seen DoD has some of the most beautiful--it's disconcerting to see the decline in their service.

best of luck!

3. Exactly. I was surprised to read the replies in this thread. Especially the one telling it was her own d*rned fault for not reading the fine print. LOL!

If a person says they are not happy with their doll, I say it's a reason enough for the company to be concerned. They are selling dolls, for crissake, making them attractive to the customer is their number one priority.

And what's with the "company can do no wrong" attitude? This is not a cult following, people.

4. This isn't about giving points to DOD o.o We're just pointing out that most of the problems she was disapointed with were things that were to be expected. DOD stated on their site that dolls would be sent with acrylic eyes, not glass...dolls are nolonger being sanded (only one arm...yay?[though why they couldn't just finish that arm is beside me >.>])...
      All these things can be quite easily fixed, and it appears that she is planning to fix them.

Except for the resin discoloring...I'd still really like to see pictures. I don't think there is an excuse for that o.o

5. LisaMarie,

I, for one, am glad you posted this account. I'm sorry, however, that your beautiful doll is not what you expected, and is unfinished with eyes that you don't like.

I've often looked at the DOTs and thought how wonderful they look. But, I've also heard about the horrors of the faceups, the air bubbles and other problems. As much as I think I'd love the doll, I've not gotten one.

So, I thank you for your honesty about your Shall, and I hope any of things you don't like about her, you can fix. I'd very much like to see pics, when you have her the way you want her. ^^

6. UHHHH. If you're going to be making a $600 purchase I SURE HOPE you would read the fine print. (it's not even fine print, its regular sized print on the bottom of the picture)

Eyes are acrylic, NOT GLASS. Seams NOT SANDED. If is not DoD's fault if you did NOT read the entire description and got something other than what you THOUGHT would be coming.

HOWEVER, the problem with the resin match IS a problem. I have YET to see photographs, but if this is indeed the case, DoD NEEDS to replace the body with one that matches completely. It's unacceptable to send a doll out that does not match completely unless you are mixing and matching your own head and body, in which case, not all batches will be the same.

I'm sorry you did not like your doll. I would take a picture of the color mismatch and send it to DoD to either replace your body, refund you some money, or SOMETHING.

DoD's customer service does suck. It's hard for them to reply to emails, or even get make up orders right and it is UNACCEPTABLE. I like my DoT, but I will not buy from them again because I do not like the customer service. I would rather buy from LUTS, who I have had amazing customer service with, from past experiences.

HOWEVER, blaming the company for a customer not reading fully the description of the product is incorrect.

7. Oh cmon people. For $500+ of doll, you expect the manufacture level to be up to standard. Simple as.
      I've heard more complaints about DoD than I have compliments, in general. I don't own and DoD dolls myself, and at some time back I really wanted a Lahoo, but now I won't touch this company with a barge pole, even if I had a crazy amount of money.

Obviously my opinion is going to be a biased one (all opinions are biased), people are going to opt for their favourite company. But when you're not happy with the level of perfection on your doll from the beginning, there is something definatley not right. And we're not talking chump change when it comes to this beloved hobbie of ours.

I'm really sorry your Shall isn't living up to your expectations, but kudos to you for voicing your opinions here. I'm sure many buyers will appreciate it.

8. Hello All,

My Shall was from the initial offering and sanding was included as stated on the order page. (I ordered the basic doll, no faceup, and yep, sanding was included) After two weeks it was no longer offered. My particular sales agreement did include sanding as part of the doll's price. It just took 4 1/2 months for her to arrive. And another 3 1/2 weeks for me to open the box. I had just moved and didn't want to open her up until I had everything in order. Minus one point on the sanding.

As far as resin differing, I think it would be best to assemble dolls from the same batch. It's not terribly off, but I can see the difference. Minus one point for color difference.

Now for the eyes. IMO, they should have a picture of Shall with the eyes she actually comes with and a caption that reads "This is what your doll will look like". Almost every other BJD company manages to do glass eyes. Color is usually random, but the eye quality you see is the eye quality you get. That's what I mean about smarmy. They're just too cheap to give you decent eyes. Minus one point to DOD for misleading images. I tried my Masterpiece agate eyes in her and oh my, what a difference!! She looks alive now! (Starting to fall in love...)

Regarding the nose--some have stated that it looks funny. I agree. I've given it some thought and I'm thinking about softening it a bit, rounding out the end somewhat. Also the nostrils are set fairly far back and far apart and aren't quite large enough for the rest of the nose. But, this is just my aesthetic take on the doll and her nose. Neither plus nor minus.

Her wig is lovely, and although too long for my taste is easily restyled and is a gorgeous color. I fiddle with all my wigs anyway. Plus one point.

Shall's skintone is a perfect pale pink. She'll look great in pale blonde, platinum blonde, ash and light brown wigs as well some tones of red. My Rainy girls are pretty golden, so they generally wear darker hair. To me, she just looks like a blonde. Plus one point. Reminds my of my middle daughter too.

She poses very well and can cross her legs! Her body is very long, delicate and graceful, and she has beautiful hands and feet. Plus 3 points.

She has wonderful head mobility! Plus one or two points.

Her face is very sweet and demure, and her shoulder, waist and bust proportions are excellent. She's stands up straight--this girl has excellent posture. Her back does not have an exaggerated arch. Something I thought I had noticed in the promo pics and she is exactly as I had hoped as far as body shape. I think she will do period costume very well. I adore period clothes and she will wear Nicole Kidman's hoopskirt look from Cold Mountain very well, and not be overwhelmed by it. She's got a long rib cage. Plus three points.

So, the plusses do outweigh the minuses. My frustration is more of an issue with DOD as far as customer service goes rather than the my doll. If I do order the little kids (Hoo and Si--as a girl) one day, at least now I know what to expct and it won't be such a shock when I open the box.

So, I am going to enjoy playing with her today and will take some pics of her with her new face tomorrow. I had planned to sell her, but I don't know if I can do that after all.

Lisa

9. Damn, I had NO IDEA you ordered BEFORE the period. I thought this was a recent purchase.

Then definately, your doll should have been sanded. You purchased it BEFORE the announcement (forgive me, I was under the impression this was a recent purchase. It was not stated you had waited 41/2 months and were part of the first order). I would email DoD and tell them so.

Yeah, their customer service BLOWS. I emailed them THREE TIMES to have Lahoo and Camine shipped together. They weren't. I emailed them THREE ADDITIONAL TIMES to have the address changed and BOTH dolls (shipped seperately) were shipped to the WRONG ADDRESS. Which is why I won't buy from DoD again. I had great experiences the first time, but my experience getting Camine just really rubbed me the wrong way.

However, it does say on the page :

Regardless of what other companies do, it is stated on the page that shall comes with acrylic eyes, not glass eyes. The glass eyes were for the limited edition fullset doll, which is where the pictures are from. I know FS LAhoo had glass eyes.

I am glad, that the good outweighs the bad. But definately email DoD about the sanding AND the skintone difference. If you paid for a doll and it should have been sanded (as per your agreement WHEN YOU PAID) your doll should have been sanded.

10. Eeep! I didn't think so either. =/ No wonder the misunderstandings bout the sanding issues here. I certainly would agree their customer service is.. >.>

But I'm really glad you've begun to take a liking to her. DoTs are really lovely. =)

11. Hi Dech,

I'm not going to bother emailing them, it's not like I'm going to send the doll back for one arm :) The sanding issue is over anyway--they don't do it anymore. I was just so...shocked when I opened the box! The resin matching isn't worth the hassle either. Blush is good.

I will send them a picture of my modified and dressed Shall in a lovely costume. Maybe they will get the hint and hire real faceup artsits. Gentle prodding and demonstration as to what this doll can be will probably be more effective than bitching.

I've been sewing and doing crafts for years. The initial shock has worn off and now I'm thinking...hmm, this isn't so bad, I can fix this.

I also feel this poor girl has not been shown to her potential. DOD has been of great disservice to their own doll. Their faceups haven't been that good and the acrylic eyes, with their pin-pointy pupils do not enhance her looks at all--she looks like she isn't all there. And the eyes can make or break a face. They are the window to the soul you know. DOD should consider how the doll is going to look when customer's post their own pics here and elsewhere. Often it's the customers "real pics" that really sell the doll. Those awful green eyes are not a selling point--they're a real detraction. It's in DOD's best interest to use better eyes.

Well, I've pondered this enough and am now off to play with my doll.

Lisa

12. As far as I know, the only DoTs that shipped with glass eyes were the tans. All the normal skin, fullset or not, came with acrylic. My fullset Shall came with the same muddy green acrylic eyes, whose color I found not to my taste, to put it as nicely as I can. (I know some people liked them.)

I did not have any of the other issues. Since she was fullset, she came sanded, her resin is beautiful, and her faceup looks just like the default in the promo pics on DoD. I did wait over 11 weeks for her to be delivered though. :/ But supposedly they are improving that turn around time.

13. My apologies, then it must have been my tan camine that came with the glass eyes ( I totally forgot because I immediately changed his eyes to the green zouks I bought)

14. I'm really quite astounded that people have had issues with D.O.Ds customer service.My sister ordered last week and they were very kind, courteous and prompt too.Maybe they have hired new customer service reps?:3nodding: I certainly hope they have because of all the complaints I've heard and one bad apple can spoil them all right?

15. Whoa, I thoguht this was a recent purchase...and your doll took 4.5 months o.o... Oi. Then your Shall should have been sanded.

I'm glad your loving her though. Shall really is a great doll.

16. Just passing through and wanted to say...

I did not like the acrylic eyes that my FS Lahoo came with back when I first got him, but that was alright because I had another pair of eyes bought especially for him already (they were acrylic too, but that's besides the point :D) I think the large dome of the eyes DOD sent made it so they didn't sit naturally in the eye wells of the head, so they just looked funny. I actually adore the eyes DOD did send, they're now in my CP Yder and look amazing, but it would have been nice if they had fit well with my Lahoo.

Glad your Shall is turning into someone you will love ~<3

17. Oooh...I'm starting to get a bit nervous...I -just- ordered Sha three days ago. while I had my confirmation and payment confirmation in very quick order I did send an email to them asking a couple of questions...I wonder if it's because their English isn't good? Who knows...hopefully Shall will arrive on time and in good order... my first purchase...hope it goes well...I plan on buying new eyes for Sha though I think I'll be too scared to sand him down...

18. I had trouble with DoD answering e-mails as well. They later claimed that they were unable to send to AOL, (amazingly, they sent that message to me at AOL!) And I continue to receive mail from them at AOL, though I also furnished them a Yahoo address.

Anyhow, most of my replies have come from this e-mail address: [email protected]. I don't think they list that address on their site. It certainly is possible that they don't have regular English speakers on staff and thus must wait for someone to translate, though I don't know that this is the case.

Remember to keep in mind the time difference--it may be a weekend for them when it is still Friday here or nighttime during our day.

Anyhow, they are notorious for being slow to answer. I would suggest e-mailing again in a few days if you don't hear.

19. Sorry, dolls that are "multicolored" because of differing batches for each body-part, or dolls that are multicolored because the factory is "training new employees" are what we here in the old country call "factory seconds," and should be sold at a reduced price to offset those flaws.

The "bait and switch" issue regarding glass vs. acrylic eyes could instantly be solved by DoD taking the radical step of.... oh, I dunno, actually photographing the dolls with the eyes that they will come to the customer wearing? What is with this "here, look at these cool glass eyes, but nyah, nyah, nyah... *you* ain't getting them"? I noticed that myself on my infrequent visits to the site, and it didn't exactly make me think highly of the outfit.

Why can the eyes the customer will actually be getting, not be shown in the dolls? Can it be because the company *KNOWS* they're actually kinda substandard?

[and yes, my doll is wearing acrylic right this minute, so its not like I hate acrylic or anything - far from it.]

I know people love DoD and all, but gee - let's call shoddy business practices what they really are - shoddy.

20. Hrmm I dunno if anyone has said this already, but I heard DOD recently hired a bunch of new people, and apparently they're all nooby. But everyone must start somewhere? :oops:
      Just give them time, maybe they'll get better! And if you order from DOD again, perhaps you can tell them about your problems with your Shall, maybe they give you some compensation present? *_*' and pay extra close attention to your next doll? ~ - ' x ' - ~