1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else *not* have characters or personalities for their doll(s)?

Apr 24, 2007

1. My dolls are dolls, not characters. George and Dennis have the most personality wise but they do not have backstories, they exist as they are. Sort of like all mechanical things have animus but aren't really alive.

So while not blank slates, they aren't fully outlined and written up "people".

2. My doll's entire personality is " :) "
      Well, I do admit that she seems very :) at the idea of more wigs, eyes, clothes, shoes, jewelry, and handbags. I guess a passion for spending my money counts as personality.

3. Well, okay. So I had this thing planned out for Miles and he happened to fit in to my mental story. Well, he comes home and suddenly his personality is nothing like the one in the story. X_x I still kept the character the way he is in the story and the way he is as a doll. Personalities differ, but same look.

Zane, well, I haven't gotten to know Zane since I just got him. But I did have a whole biography planned like Miles, based on how I thought his personality was going to be. I kinda created a character for my story rather than take an existing one to fit a doll.

Anyway, I have to have personalities attached to them or I cannot connect to them. It's usually a part or parts of my own personality that I can't express (and want or wish I had) or parts that I enjoy expressing. It's kinda like my way of letting things out that I keep dormant. (ex: the childishness of Miles - I have so much responsibility, there's no time to be a kid)

4. Oh thank God. I was beginning to think I was the only person on this board whose doll has no personality or background o___O He's just... a doll... XD *shrug* I suppose he has a little bit of personality, but I would hardly say he HAS a personality, do you know what I mean? He barely even managed to get a name. Arrrgh. Personifying things is hard for me.

5. Well...my dolls have a very simple personality, if you can even call it that. Nono is my happy girlish doll, Mimi is my moody girlish doll, Rio is my sweet girlish doll, U-noss is my robot girlish doll, Miyu is my enigmatic girlish doll, Juri is my elven girlish doll, Sylvie is my sophisticated girlish doll, and Ruru is my sexy girlish doll. I'm a girly-girl. Not very interesting, I'm afraid. :sweat

6. Aislinn wasn't a planned character. She is what she is, which to me changes over time as I make clothes for her, pose her, play with her hair...
      I have trouble creating backstory and keeping it permanent, since it didn't actually happen, but I can say little pretend things like what she likes, and doesn't like. Her adventures as I have had her are part of her story, like her trips to the fabric store, or to a doll meet :). Sometimes when I'm making an outfit I'll dream up an adventure that goes with it, but it's not permanent. For example, her ranger costume inspired the idea that she was going to go look for her brother, who I hadn't really thought of her having before. It was inspired by the fact that I want an MSD, but I don't know what his name will be specifically, or what he'll be like. I might name him one thing now, but when I get him, it probably will change to something different. *shrug* I don't stress it. It's just play. Something for me to relax my brain by :)

7. I don't have a name for my girl yet. I thought it would come to me when I finally got her but it didn't. I mean, I have a personality for her but its not... It's just that she isn't personified to the point that it becomes really human. I don't have a whole 'back story' for her. She's my little girl doll and she's nameless at the moment. But she isn't some mysterious spy and her parents weren't killed when she was a baby.

:sweat

8. Mine only have slight personalities and my F-31 doesn't even have a name yet :(

9. My doll doesn't have an in-depth personality, or a backstory. She's a doll.

10. I have just recently started mine to have backstories. like others i really only had thought about the names (and my littlest one finally got one this week). but i have had my first doll Saya for over a year and a half with just a name no story. well that changed last week and i have story for my 3 plus 7 more:sweat this is not good.

11. I bought my first one as a completely blank slate, and I honestly had no expectations for him to have a personality or really do anything except look pretty. That changed, but it took about a week and really took off when I found 'his' wig. But I've been a writer almost my whole life and I have this fascination with making up characters. I do it out of thin air quite often. I supposed it was inevitable that the resin boys in my home quickly found themselves with very distinct personalities of their own.

The female dolls, however...I can't say for sure that it will be so easy or automatic when I finally get them. I've always had more difficulty writing females, despite being one myself, and even the one who I have the most backstory for is pretty much a whisper, personality-wise at this point.

12. Thanks to everyone for their replies! It's nice to know I'm not alone :D

Edtel, I particularly wanted to reply to you because I'm a writer too and I figured that might be part of why mine *don't* have character, because I focus on character creating in stories. I also have the same thing about being a girl and having trouble writing about girls. What's with that, I wonder?! (..It's okay to hijack a thread if you started it, right? ;) )

Lindsay

13. Lailah didn't originally have a backstory/personality planned for her when I first bought her but her name was taken from a very minor character I have so she kind of took on her backstory inadvertantly and she's starting to develop a personality through photostories which is nothing like how I imagined.
      I do a lot of writing and RPing so I'm almost constantly coming up with character concepts, it's just something I love to do so it seemed natural to personify my dolls with them.

For Adrian on the other hand... the character came before the doll. He's a character I've written for around 4 years and one I still adore to write so I wanted him in resin form, so the choice of mold for him was based off how I've always pictured him.
      As for my Shushu twins which are on their way, I've filled the time waiting for them coming up with a backstory that fits them and the established lore of the world I use in a RP I do with a few friends. I'm a massive fan of lore, from Warcraft, Star Wars, Tolkien, Conan etc etc I just love such exspansive fictional universes and my characters exist in one of their own.

I really can't imagine not having a character (indepth backstory I can understand though) for a BJD, they're far too expressive for me to simply see them as objects ment for simply just sitting and looking pretty.

14. I usually develop a small personality for my dolls. A name, age and a little about their likes and dislikes. It's mostly for the sake of sewing them clothes that fit the style I've had in mind for them. It's the funniest part for me to find a name and determine those small details about the dolls. I never develop huge backstories or dramas about them.

15. Same here! I am so happy to find others like me - FINALLY :dance

16. ...... If I don't make something up before I get the doll, eventually they'll still grow a backstory, character, etc.

Half their characters, storylines, etc are based off jokes or whatever off-hand remarks I made about them. The other half is helped along by their own facial expressions or bodily ticks (like how Isao looks very assertive or Sakaki just keeps falling over... ) Now they have full-blown characters and half-written backstories. I can't seem to help it ^^;;

17. I think my boys have some personality since I think of them as Mr Aloof (Raidan), Mr Cheeky (Chi) and Lord Smexy (Lucah). This wasn't something I deliberately set out to do, just something that's developed over the time I've had them.

But they don't have in-depth backgrounds or storylines and aren't likely to get them, either.

18. About 1/2 of my dolls (you can see the list in my profile) don't even have names, let alone personalities. I have a few dolls that are made to be a certain character (Draco Malfoy, Harry Potter, Nova from Magic Knight RayEarth II, Dilandau Albertou from Escaflowne), but I still haven't been able to name my Shiwoo elf & he was the second BJD I ever bought. ^^;; Some dolls just jump out with a name. My cute BF Jerome was named Jamie the second I saw him (I have no idea why).

I do like to read backstories for other dolls - it is incredible to me how much thought & detail some people put into their dolls! It does amuse me that for the doll profiles in the databases, I usually have to blank most of it out. I usually don't have the energy to come up with something neat.

19. That's how I feel. It's enough for me to talk to them and feel love and affection for them without them having complicated lives or back stories. They are like little people to me, just very quiet and mysterious. They are good company, but they don't reveal much.

20. My boy is just a doll really... he doesn't have a distinct personality or history and I'm still struggling to find him a name just to have something specific I can refer to without talking about my lahoo, my Dot or my doll...

Some molds do kind of look like they have different personalities but I guess that has to do with their expressions... like when you see a painting and you imagine how that character would be, he/she gives out a certain imediate impression but that's it.