1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else *not* have characters or personalities for their doll(s)?

Apr 24, 2007

1. yes and no. Sacha my new boy has a vauge personality but I didn't have anything in mind when I got him. I just saw his sweet little face and had to have it. I only changed his name because yeah I felt lame just calling him by his model name.

The one I'm saving for existed in story form first so he has a huge history.

2. Purplewiz summed up my feelings, I think. In most cases, I don't know more about my dolls than anybody else would, just to look at them. I do have some dolls without names too, it doesn't really bother me.

If you meet someone in real life, you don't instantly know everything about that person. Even with my close friends, I don't know every detail of their lives. My own personal history is complex, there isn't anybody at all who has all the pieces to the puzzle. I rather like that dolls are mysterious too.

I don't usually find backstories very interesting or particularly indicative of creativity. The process of matching a character to a doll seems very tedious; I know a lot of people enjoy it, but that sort of thing just isn't fun for me. I often wish the forum were less about characters and more just about dolls. However, I can respect that others feel differently and I know I am in the minority.

I'd almost forgot about this thread, interesting to see how things have changed or not since then:
      http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29924

3. I am not a writer. I dont RPG. I dont ever make up characters. I am an artist visually. So to me my doll is a visual art piece only. Any personality she has is based on what she is wearing, and the way I like to see her represented, like with hair and makeup.

My doll is named Soo because well...She is a CP Soo. I never could see her as any other name. She doesnt have a backstory. So I guess to me, my BJD is a fashion doll. lol.

4. I know that Mina is very girly and proper, but that's what i thought when I first saw the photos of her. And that's as far as I've gotten. I don't feel the need to write a background story or give her an entire personality in order to enjoy having her.

We'll see what happens when Tori arrives. I know that I want them to be sisters, so maybe it'll spark some imagination once I see them together.

5. It took me over a month just to name my doll! ^^; She has a bit of a character that I've thought up in my head, but nothing really compared to the detailed backstories a lot of the dolls on the boards seem to have.
      xXx

6. My dolls are starting to gain personalities, but I don't plan them or anything...Well, there's ONE that I've planned, in theory...But I don't have her yet and it is subject to change if when I do eventually get her and what I have in my brain doesn't end up "working"...^^;

But my reason for even gradually "learning" about them and giving them a personality is to keep myself from getting too lonely since I have few (if any) friends where I'm at. ^^;

7. I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I don't have names for any of my dolls - it's just easier to refer to them as Sooah or Emma because then other people know which one I'm talking about. Plus I'm afraid I would forget what the heck I named them! If I only had one doll I might name them, but I don't!

I think Carletoncig expressed it best for me, a few posts back. :-) I like dressing them up and creating a certain look, and that might give them personality, but they don't really have them on their own. Or backstories. Doesn't mean I enjoy them any less though!

8. OMG, i love this thread. Most people have set personalities for their kids and I think its amazing, yet at the same time, i feel kinda bad that mine don't. I'm just as likely to dress one of my kids as a medieval warrior one day and a 18th c. vampire the other. At the same time they're most likely to have a set story for the photoshoot but that's about it. My limhwa still has no name, and i've had her for MONTHS!! Does that make me a bad mom???*_*:?

9. my dolls have no names and no personaltity!I am collecting not only bjd,but also Tonner dolls and Riley dolls!And teddy bears!

10. they have names and their little quirks like one doesnt wear pink and one doesnt wear fur wigs (that's what i think anyways) but they dont have a huge history behind them, if they did have one then i probably already forgot. they dont have birthdays and all (i hate dates, that's why i flunked history many many times xD)

11. There isn’t any reason for you to feel bad, everyone connects with their dolls differently. I don’t think that’s bad at all as long as you enjoy them. Just because I’m going to make characters of mine in a photo story it doesn’t mean that I’m not going to have various personas of them in random photo shoot type pictures (like many you mentioned actually). I think it is rather nice and also interesting to be able to do many things with your dolls because this is after all a hobby. I think even the idea of creating a home for them is a very interesting idea in addition to just having the dolls themselves.

I myself kind of look at it like two very separate things, one being that they are models to pose and photo, and two that because they are so lifelike I can also put on a kind of play with them. So that being as it is if you want to make a story perhaps you should think about what sort of story she/he would be good for and one you would like to do and personality will likely evolve from there.

12. This is a great thread. My dolls have names, but very quiet/small personalities. They aren't totally personality free; mostly, what I consistently dress them in sets the parameters for what personality they do have. Occasionally, I answer a thread like " what TV show would your doll star in?" and it clarifies their personalities a little more.
      Oddly enough, my daughters are more active in personifying my dolls than I am. They think it odd that I have these beautiful dolls, that I don't "play" with, or talk to. When I get a new doll, it's my girls who tend to introduce them to each other ( something I never even thought of). I tell them that making clothes for my dolls _is_ playing, for me.
      Susan

13. Four of my dolls have names and two do not. Those who do have names I have assigned vague personalities. It's just enough to give me a lead on how to dress them. They do not have backstories though, I did start one for my Supia 60 Willow, but when she arrived I decided it did not fit her at all.

14. Very interesting..
      I have names for my dolls, but not back stories at all.When I dress them and do their face -ups they do seem to take on some sort of character, and certain things I dress them in look better than others, so you can sort of create the way they might be if they did have a personality.That's it really.:)

15. no it doesn't make you a bad doll owner. I have dolls who have no name of their own (except the volks default name) for over 2 years now and I am just happy to pick up the doll to admire it after a hard day at work and still be happy.

16. My dolls are not "characters" of sort, though they seem to have some individual definable traits, if that makes sense. I simply cannot do an in-depth backstory for a doll and honestly, I wouldn't want to. :o I don't like getting too personal.

The most I do is give my dolls a name...and clothes.

17. All my boy has is a first,middle,and last name. I've only had him for two months now.
      I have enough orginal characters as it is so I doubt I'll ever give Emilio a profile and backstory.

18. I don't write stories, so there are no real set characters...only what I project into them...like others here, I am as likely to dress the girls in Medieval dresses for a while, them punky outfits another, and jeans and t shirt another time...they are like me..chameleons always changing, but my hound maintains that even though I dress him in his pirate outfit and cloak, he is still a hard rocking musician underneath..and they all have names..

19. I don't really plan my dolls' personalities, just their names and looks. When they come to me they usually develop something completely different from what I had in mind. Only two of mine have backstories; one doesn't.

20. While I didn't plan on having personalities for these dolls, it just sort of happened. I generally name my dolls but don't make up backstories though sometimes a certain doll will tell me about herself. The weird thing is, ALL my BJDs seemed to have a lot to say. It didn't happen all at once & I'm still getting to know some of them but they've all evolved into some sort of character.