1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else *not* have characters or personalities for their doll(s)?

Apr 24, 2007

1. I relate to the idea of my dolls as actors. They definitely take on different roles depending on how I'm dressing them!

I am an artist, but I do a bit of writing and rpg-ing and such... and I do have characters and stories and sometimes they are reflected in my dolls, but usually not to any great degree. Mostly because my characters are all individuals, themselves and they exist in their own stories or games. Bits of them inspire names and vague looks and personalities in my dolls, but not more than that.

My dolls are my dolls... they are themselves! They get names and vague personalities and vague styles/looks, but little backstory. And I tend to swap out wigs and looks a lot, which is why they are more like actors taking on various roles. I really enjoy just dressing them up and making them look fantastic! :)

2. Well, I am new to bjd's so this thread is very interesting to me. My dolls currently only have the names that they came with and only have personalities that sort of fit their vague ages -- all children except one. I will have to think about adding other names and personalities. My daughters think that my hobby is scary and that I am a little odd at this point without developing stories for the dolls. Barb. (in L.A.)

3. I love the idea of naming your computer speakers...but where do you draw the line? The pots in the kitchen? The towels? I'm not mocking you, truly, but where DO you stop? I feel like I achieved something huge for myself in managing to choose a name for my first BJD. My vinyl dolls only had names if they were repainted and named by the artist. My Sybarites have the names they came with. I'm HOPING I can name the new BJDs which will be entering my life. But backstories? Real personalities? Nah. Can't imagine it.
      xoxoxox
      Maggie

4. Yes, I talk to my doll, especially when we're trying on clothes, as if to ask her what she likes. Of course, it's really what I like, but I still enjoy playing. But it's ME talking to HER. She doesn't say much.
      xoxox
      Maggie

5. Ah, Sims, I love little Alexei. I was seriously considering him as a "little brother" for my 43cm Narae, until I realized his head was MUCH bigger than hers, so he'd probably be "all wrong" with her. He's only one centimeter shorter than she is, but his head is 2cm bigger around. I would LOVE to see a picture of your Sacha (or anybody's Alexei) nude next to a nude Narae just to see if I'm wrong. Because I'd so like to have that adorable little guy in my house!
      xoxo
      Maggie

6. two years, huh!! Well, that definetly makes me feel better about myself.:lol: And really its not like she's any less real or less loved because she lacks a name. Truly, i'm waiting for her to name herself, one of them did . I was holding Ares (LD Aida) while looking through a mythology book and he fell over by the God's description. I took it as a sign:lol:

Misakitty thanks, you're very right. i've thought of a house for them myself but the logistics are kinda bogging me down*_*

7. When I first saw the Persira WS...I had to make up a character for him.

Same for the CP Chiwoo, Shiwoo, and El...

My Soony, Seol-hyung, Homme Ducan, and NS Moon all had characters...

Although I only wanted the Soony after I thought up the Persia...:| :sweat

8. I agree with this post pretty entirely. Sometimes I give the dolls names but if they came from a previous owner and already had a name a lot of the time I'll just use that one and pretend I'm meeting a new person. You don't know a lot about a new person, you might find out over time, or you might not.

I don't enjoy developed backstories because to me it's too much like role playing games or fanfic. I know a lot of people enjoy those things but I don't. Plus I agree with enjoying the "mystery" of dolls. I like to imagine the doll telling me about itself without me grafting a big story onto it. I may have a few ideas, like this doll is moody, this doll probably played in a band, etc. but I don't want to script out its whole life. I'm too busy living my life and I imagine the dolls are living theirs, if that makes sense.

I sometimes feel like there should be a whole other board for people who aren't into "creating characters" because it seems like about 90% of the stuff that goes on in that realm is irrelevant to me and my enjoyment of the dolls.

9. Seriously! I'd rather talk about the different kinds of dolls and what clothes fit who and where do you shop and why some dolls are made as they are etc.

I'm interested in the dolls, not the role play. Much as I love the portrait galleries but have no general interest in the photostories gallery (except for the funny ones like Sher & Darkwood do)

10. Ahah well I do feel a bit bad when I see how many people come up with such elaborate stories and personalities for their dolls when I personally bought my doll purely for aesthetic purposes. She does have a name and a particular clothing style but I don't really call her by her name in my head.

11. I actually do have one girl without a character, or a personality, or even a name. She's just "Seeress" because I wanted a seeress, and she's a sleeping head...

At this point I'm keeping her because she's just so damn pretty.

(Although I admit. I feel odd because she's the only one of mine that doesn't have a real name, or some minor semblance of back-story.) ^^;

12. At the moment, only a few of my dolls have names, and none of them really have any stories.

I usually give dolls these things, but I just haven't had time to work on it... and I've found I'm not overly bothered by them not having these things.

13. Yeah, but I guess I just couldn't help it. I'm sure eventually I'll have dolls with less personality than others, but I can't stop my head from making them up. The next few dolls are going to be based on already existing characters, but I'll see what happens when I start buying more only because I like the way they look and no other reason.

I actually find that when I do photostories, the dolls' personalities differ than they are in the story I'm working on. I'm beginning to think there's a bit of separation between the characters I'm writing and the ones that the dolls project in their photos. And that's okay. A story is a story, and a doll is a doll. There's no reason for me to stress over it, so I don't. I love my boys regardless of who they are.

Actually, I was on a writing panel at a convention, and the general consensus among the female writers was that they also have a harder time writing females. The lone guy on the panel admitted he has a harder time writing men than women. So I guess it's not that uncommon. Can't say why, though.

14. Maybe writing about characters who are the same sex as you are is more difficult because it's harder to be objective? We just know too much about being that sex... or maybe we feel we don't know enough, that our experience is too unique? Oh, well... (I don't think I have problems writing about female characters, btw.)

Going after characters only would mean I couldn't get some of the dolls I really want, which seems odd to me! I'd rather go after a doll I just love for itself--and then maybe let it be its own character... Or not. :)

15. My dolls have names but no personalities. They seem to feel different when I see them in different outfit/wigs/contexts.. and to me that's what's neat about my dolls!

16. Hehehehe

Like some others I am thoroughly relieved to see this thread. I have, let's see, four big kids with no names, and about five little ones with "well he/she was supposed to be X but I'm not sure..." And we won't even mention my favorite little blue-haired 23 cm Obitsu elf, who I've had nearly a year and the closest I've come is "blue." :P

And until recently I was completely horrified by my lack of time spent photographing/writing about them. "Bad Mom" indeed. But I decided to just enjoy the wonderful stories some folks are able to dream up for their kids, and not worry about it.

(much) :lol:

It IS good to know we're not alone!

17. I'm afraid that Caedron's backstory begins "I was made in a factory in Korea."

18. My CP Harang-head has no name or even gender at the moment. All my other dolls have their own names and personalities, so it feels quite odd to have one head without anything. At the moment I call my Harang Kuu or simply Harang or Harri, and I'm not sure if I want to change that. I love his/hers mold, but for some reason I don't feel any urge to create a character of him/her.

19. I feel I should qualify a bit on the character angle.

My dollies have personalities and "interact" with other people's dollies at meets and stuff. Dennis best friend is Jack the Nyll and he has a nice girl he's dating sort of named Peyton and another girl he likes too,named Tai, but it more us as owners having fun with the dolls rather than anything scripted or really role played.

Gaz has no backstory at all but it seems he's now the Emperor of all tiny evil in NYC. ;)

They have frontstory rather than backstory. LOL

20. I'm not very good at dreaming up stories... my dolls will probably all end up having names (eventually) but no story. I would probably end up being confused by a story anyway... I pretty much dress my dolls in whatever i feel like at that point.