1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else *not* have characters or personalities for their doll(s)?

Apr 24, 2007

1. My dolls have names, but they don't have stories.
      I dress them according to what the face makes me think about them. Some are elegant, some cute, some prissy, some sweet.

2. In another threat, someone pointed out that, to them, BJD-hobby was 40% about the dolls and 60% about the writing. Well, if that's the case then I'm kinda in the wrong hobby. To me, dolls and writing are two things that touch only marginally. Writing is writing and dolls are dolls. As I posted earlier (or was it elsewhere?), my dolls are basically "3D photos" of two of my story characters. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't roleplay with them. But then, I never did roleplay with dolls a lot. I preferred merrily swinging away on my swing and making up little stories in my mind. So, yes, I do have characters and backgroundstories for my dolls but they existed waaaaaaaay before I got my two boys.

3. Out of all my dolls, my Unoa doesn't seem to have a character of her own. She has a name, but no back story like my other dolls. One day I might giver her one, but until then she's really just a doll I like to take pictures of.

4. Right now mine have names, but no back-story. Hey, at my age, I'm lucky to remember their names--lol!

Phyllis

5. I have a story going on around my head that I will draw out one day but my doll is only loosely based on one of the characters. Because after all, it's a doll and not really the character himself.

But then again...I still haven't found a set name for that character, just bits and pieces of his personality, which is why the doll only has bits of the personality as well. ^^;

6. I feel exactly the same way about my dolls. My stories have been around in my head for years, and just recently I started having dolls that reflected what was in my head even though I have had dolls for years. Furthermore, most of my dolls up to this point are dolls and I enjoy them, but not all of them have characters outside of just being a doll (if that makes sense).

7. My dolls have names and I've struggled to make personalities for them. My girl, Miyuki has finally gotten a personality in just the last 24 hours. She was cute before, but just cute. So I got rid of her face up and gave her a new one (with more attitude and piercings). Now I have to work on Gao a little....

8. I've named them but am just as apt to call them by their molds as their name, it makes it a lot easier for people to know which you're talking about for one. I guess I think of them as actors, they wear different costumes and act out different scenes for me. There is a core personality there but I like them to be flexible - steampunk one day and rococo the next - and a set backstory wouldn't allow me to do that.

9. dunno... maybe bjds will be different for me.
      for the barbies and rest of the dolls I've had, I pick my fav and play with her all the time. She was never given a name. Everytime we played together, her story would change, but her personality usually is stable. I don't know how all these background stories, personalities, etc developes, but they sure bring her to life! She's the cheapest doll you'll ever see. But I love her still, and if my neighbour comes over and kidnaps her, I would just refere to her as "my tiny doll with the peddle dress" since she never changed her clothing(I torn the leaves and peddles off of cloth roses when I was little. boy were people stingy about some flowers.)
      I'd like to think she's free and could be molded into anything at anytime. She used to be the main personale in my fairytales :P now she's just...iunno. herself?
      I do like reading the stories people post here! the beautiful dolls, great camera angles, and inventive storylines are too fun to miss.

10. My gals don't have personalities. In most cases, even when I name them, it's something either from the place I purchased them or their edition that turns into their name (i.e. Limited Edition might become name Limited or Ten or something like that).

Don't get me wrong. I love my BJDs, love changing their eyes, outfits, hair, etc, but they just don't end up with personalities. My current favorites are my fairies/elves from Bambicrony. The only personalities they have are that they are fairies and elves. :)

11. My Iplehouse Ryan, Alastair, doesn't really have a set personality. But maybe he'll develop one... I've only had him for a little while.
      Also, my dolls kind of serve as actors for me-- they have their own names and whatnot, but they also dress up like various characters for drawing/painting reference. Like my DoC Too: His name is Miles, and Miles is a sweet, intellectual, playful little thing... but since I've had him, he has "acted" as various characters for me, and some of them aren't like him at all.

12. I'm a lot like Maketa! I usually use the names they had when I bought them. I wait a while to see how they strike me, though, before doing their face ups. I'm not into the elves, though.

13. I never create personalities for my dolls before they arrive. Then when a doll ariives, I look at him/her and slowly get to know them, try to find out what kind of character they might have. But it is always not very much, especially in comparison with information some people include in their dolss' profiles. It's more like as much as you can say about another person - something is obvious but something remains a mystery.
      And my dolls never have backstories. I can't help it... I can't think about a doll "when he was a child, he did this and that" I always start imagining - what was he then? A yo-sd? then an msd? :)

14. My dolls doesn't have background stories at all, so they're not "characters" to me. They have their names and they have a very small personality which only appears when I take pictures of them. But umm, still they're not just "beautiful ornaments" or expensive dolls to me, they're not characters and they're not living ..creatures, they're just something between those to me :sweat And if I sell some of them, then they're just gone. I won't bring them back as another doll.

15. My dolls have personalities and names, but they don't have backgrounds or pasts, and they aren't characters for a novel I'm writing. They're more like... my big-people toys. I love them, but the closest they come to having some background is my best friend and I have two Dollzone boys who we call brothers. But that's about it.

16. I don't have any dolls as of yet, and when I buy them, all I really have in my mind right now are names, and a short fairy-tale-like story for the two of them. So in the future, I'm going to expand a bit more, and even find a way to connect them storywise. ^^

But for now, all I have are just names and random bits of story floating around in my head. :sweat

17. I'm not consider Ryn just as a simple resin doll. I believe in energy transmited in things getting them alive. So, my BJD is like a "compagnion" I live with, care about, talk to, etc.. I don't imagine stories about (I have only one for the moment^^).
      His personality, I'm discovering little by little it as I've got him since 2 weeks.

18. I wouldn't say that I really make characters for my dolls. I have one here, and one I'm saving up for, but even the one I've had for 3 yrs doesn't have a real back-story/concrete character or even a set age. She has a vague personality, which probably comes a lot from her expression, and sometimes I'll dress her up and she'll seem so uncomfortable in whatever it is, that I'll feel like that just isn't her style.
      She's still fleshing herself out, and I may decide on a character for her later, if I'm feelin' inspired.

Now, I do have some really elaborate characters and other worlds that I draw and write about, but I've just never found a place in that realm for Lluvie. Her surroundings are just so limiting, I guess, that it would be just as hard for me to submerge her in my story worlds as it would be to submerge myself there physically.

19. I thought mine would just be fun things to dress up. Then they got names (not the ones I planned) picked out clothes and wigs, also never what I had bought/planned, and proceeded to inform me about their background. The subconscious mind is a lot of fun :|
      And those darn DoD dolls..they grow on you..I got a TLahoo thinking he would be just faceup practice. Haha, now he wants a Camine, insisting that it's his cousin and he has a huge backstory, the bugger. He's already cost me as much as a Volks finding "cheap" bodies for him.

PS Lolyon, Ryn is fabulous :aheartbea

20. You surely visited the log. Thanks a lot :D

I was thinking about yesterday night as I was ordering on Dollmore. I had Ryn with unpleasant wig and eye. So , for the moment I cannot reconize the caracter I have in mind.

Now, I'm waiting for the most changeable order ( black wig, dark eyes, and jeweles). He will look like as I want soon ^_^
      I just hope not be chocking by the transformation (if I got accustomed to his grey hair and eyes)

By now, it difficult to me to give him any background or personality.